Author Topic: Excellent blog entry: Schrödinger’s Rapist  (Read 307 times)

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Excellent blog entry: Schrödinger’s Rapist
« on: June 14, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »
http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest-blogger-starling-schrodinger%E2%80%99s-rapist-or-a-guy%E2%80%99s-guide-to-approaching-strange-women-without-being-maced/

A very approachable, understandable guide to the inner workings of at least one woman's mind.
Everyone should read this, not just men.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
Re: Excellent blog entry: Schrödinger’s Rapist
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »
Absolutely excellent post and I promise I didn't read it before making mine.

I guess I'm just too nice but I honestly never assume that someone is out to rape me.  I've never felt like that since I turned 16.  Am I cautious in parking lots etc?  Sure, but that is just as much about robber as rape.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Ajzzz

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Excellent blog entry: Schrödinger’s Rapist
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
This is very familiar, the same arguments were being made here, and they're still pretty ridiculous. Firstly, I wish people would stop speaking for all women or think that what they do applies to all women, and secondly the use of statistics like the 1 in 6 claim is completely misleading (in short:you can break that number down into types that do not apply). Do women have to fear murder more than men? The article suggests that they should, but I don't know. I don't even know where the average of 10 (actually after reading the comments section the author says she made it up) or 1:60 come from, or the number of rapes that would be required to work it out. Reading the comments it seems as if Starling has done something extremely dumb to get that number (1:6 women x 10 average = 1:60 men).

If you tell your friend where and when you're meeting for a blind date, and check in afterwards that's perfectly reasonable behaviour. If you're asking the question: "Will this man rape me?" every time a man approaches you, that's bigoted and paranoid. Misusing statistics doesn't get you off the hook for that, it's pathetic and morally questionable to be advocating it.

I fully respect anyone's right to set their own risk tolerance, the same way I fully respect anyone's right to fear heights or install a roll cage in their car, but I certainly don't have to respect or treat everybody differently because of it. Some of these people make America sound like A Boy and His Dog. Women are not all like that, I can't even imagine the majority are.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:04:39 PM by Ajzzz »