Author Topic: Rate the last game you played  (Read 1120 times)

Online Rai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Rate the last game you played
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
Thought that we could have something like this, like the film thread in the other subsection.

Max Payne 3

6/10

A fun shooter with a good enough story/atmosphere. But there were some seriously annoying things. There's an unskippable cutscene every five minutes that has the tendency to switch or discard the weapons being used. If I'm carrying an assault rifle, I don't want to start the next fight with a pistol. Especially if that pistol has no ammo. Sometimes, the game didn't even let me switch back to the other weapon. The rail shooting parts were also tedious, and there were one or two horrendous bits where I had to do something completely counter-intuitive and downright suicidal to progress. For example, once my buddy is pinned down and if I try to go down the stairs to shoot the bad guys in the back, he instantly dies. If I jump down the balcony and land in the middle of the five shotgun-wielding goons, he lives (if I survive). Oh, and one more thing: when I see an enemy going down, I presume he's dead. But nooo. In many cases, they'll just get right up, even if they were shot at least a dozen times. Some enemies will even survive multiple headshots due to their "armour". I really really hate this in games.
There's, another example. See, here I'm now sitting by myself, uh, er, talking to myself. That's, that's chaos.

Offline ting-bu-dong

• Seasoned Contributor
  • I've got ham but I'm not a hamster.
Re: Rate the last game you played
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
Europa Universalis 3

9/10

Geopolitical simulation in the 14th to 19th century. Extremely steep learning curve, but very satisfying once you understand the various subsystems and how they make your nation work. In my first game, I was wiped out immediately by declaring war on a neighbor with the wrong allies. A few games later, I was conquering the Balkans, the Middle East and Northern Africa as the merchant republic of Venice, all while my merchants dominate trade on three continents.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:22:42 AM by ting-bu-dong »

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
Arkham City - 8/10?

I found this one really hard to judge, especially compared to Arkham Asylum.

It felt less focussed to me, without as much variety, and it had less of a focus on the individual villains and their distinctive features - here the villains are the more human ones like Penguin and Two Face, which means most of the game is spent fighting generic thugs and you dont get as much of a feeling that this is a Batman game. In Arkham Asylum there were more scenes of areas where you went into the lair of Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, or the Batcave, etc, which were really distinctive.

So I came out feeling like the story wasnt as strong. Except... the ending was really strong and almost changes my mind. Its kind of like the story hid in the background for most of the game and then jumped out and surprised me. Part of the problem I think is that youre very reactive... you just go from place to place and things happen to or around you.

Gameplay was kind of the same... Heaps of fun, but not quite the same amount of variety as in the first game, imo.

So I figure 8/10, compared to 9/10 for Arkham Asylum. At the end of the day, you still get to feel like Batman.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
Star Trek Online

7/10

One of the best uses of the IP to date, and there's plenty to do, but the game has a lot of flaws. I still find myself going back to it daily if only for a few minutes just to make sure I'm up to date. The guild/fleet system is also getting pretty good. Overall I'd recommend it to Trek geeks everywhere, but if you've missed a lot of the TV series I don't see it as being a very rewarding game.

The best thing about it is that it's a spiritual successor to the prime universe -- the Romulan homeworld is destroyed and Spock is presumed dead, so it kind of unites the canon of the TV series and the new movie. Good idea if you ask me.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
Planescape Torment.

9/10

Decided to go give it a go after I discovered that GOG.com flogs it for a decent price and has provided a guide to all sorts of mods that make the game a lot more playable for a spoiled modern gamer (resolution changes, lots of general fixes, UI fixes...). Torment is still as I remember it from when I played it way back in the day: one of the best cRPGs ever made, especially due to the unique setting, stellar writing and lovely humour.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
I'm addicted to Skyrim right now, so I'd rate that one pretty high.
"The object of superior man is truth." Confucius

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
    • Fetlife
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Fallout: New Vegas

8.5/10

I always like the open world feel, and it's got a lot of good story lines.  It does force you to make decisions about who you join, greatly increasing the playability.  Typically, I don't like shooting things in games, but I like the gun mechanics in this one.  I haven't finished it, but I've certainly put a lot of time into my first run through.
http://www.facebook.com/Auzauviir  <-- Play Scrabble with me!

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Guild Wars 2 (beta) - 9.5/10

There are too many things I love about this game to list, so I'll just say this: easily the best MMO I've ever played (and I've played a lot), and it was only a beta. I can't wait for release next month, I'm so excited.  ;D

Seriously, though, look into it if you're looking for a new MMO to play. It basically takes all the frustrating things about past MMOs and replaces them with something better or fixes them to be fun instead, and it changes up the more traditional mechanics just enough to be fun and unique while still being familiar. Before I start sounding like a raging fanboy, I'll say it does have some problems that need to be worked out, but the positives far outstrip the negatives here. Also, there's no sub fee, and everything in the cash shop can be obtained in-game in one way or another (although, none of it gives in-game advantages anyway).

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
I'll finally be finishing up on "Far Cry 3" today, or maybe tomorrow, after weeks of daily playing. Man, there's a lot of game in that game.

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »
Almost finished with the oldschool Wasteland on account of another thread here.  1/10 graphics, 6/10 for gameplay.  I'd tried to play it a few years ago and found it unplayable. The key is that a crowbar is a more effective weapon than a pistol and there's a bunch of stuff that I don't see how you could figure out without a walk through or replaying to the point of tedium.  Its pretty fun if you cheat by finding a walk through but a game should be somewhat fun without cheating. 

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Tomb Raider - 9/10

Really, really solid game and quite a lot of fun.  Kind of a slow start with way too many quick-time-events (QTEs) but luckily the QTEs mainly just stick to the introduction hour or so and then some special moves that you earn later on.  Never played Uncharted, but it's my understanding that this game gives it a run for its money in terms of action, set pieces, and style, which only makes me want to play that series more.  Definitely worth a go if you like action platformers.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
Tomb Raider - 9/10

Really, really solid game and quite a lot of fun.  Kind of a slow start with way too many quick-time-events (QTEs) but luckily the QTEs mainly just stick to the introduction hour or so and then some special moves that you earn later on.  Never played Uncharted, but it's my understanding that this game gives it a run for its money in terms of action, set pieces, and style, which only makes me want to play that series more.  Definitely worth a go if you like action platformers.

Yeah, I found TR and Uncharted very similar in style and game play, and loved them all. I've played through twice on Tomb Raider, and the first two Uncharted games, and will do another run-through of Uncharted 3 after I finish The Last of Us, which I just started.

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The King of Fast
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
I'm planning to reward myself once we finish moving into the new house with a little bit of XCOM on my smartphone.  Apparently it is a VERY good port of the 2012 console game (which I own, love, and play constantly), with identical gameplay and only a small concession of graphics.  Costs $11.01 in the Canadian Google Play store.

Anyway, the PS3 version is 10/10.

Also, the South Park Stick of Truth game was 10/10 for me.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Divinity: Original Sin

All in all, a good return to form for turn-based, isometric RPG games in the vein of the Ultima series and Baldur's Gate.

Pros
- A world with lots to do and lots of freedom to do it. The core systems support experimentation with the environment and emergent gameplay.
- Challenging and exciting combat with lots of environmental effects to play around with. Spells and special abilities can create nice combos: for example, a rain spell will make everyone wet and render them more susceptible to electric attacks, and poison clouds explode when set alight.
- Interesting puzzles using the core mechanics.
- Excellent online co-op play.
- Innovations in character interaction. In singeplayer, you always create two main characters. These characters then communicate (and argue) with each other, allowing you more opportunities for roleplay.
-Quirky humour

Cons
- Overly reliant on exposition in conversations with NPCs. It doesn't help that these conversations aren't voiced. If you want to keep up with everything that's going on, you need to read a lot of text, which in my opinion is not written well enough to reward that much effort.
- Some of the puzzles are extremely opaque and require a lot of back-tracking. Quests intersect with each other in ways that are not easy to follow, mainly due to...
- A very sparse and clunky journal.
- Shitty inventory that is hard to organise and makes crafting a time-consuming nightmare.

Teethering and I are having a lot of fun playing this game in co-op, so despite its problems, I'm giving it a 8/10. Would be a 7 to 7.5 if I was just playing single-player.

"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

personate-rain