Author Topic: Belief-in-final-decision fallacy?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
Re: Belief-in-final-decision fallacy?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
  For the most part, we are aware of the need to come to some kind of conclusion, even if it isn't perfect, and we do so consciously.  We don't need a hardwired impulse, nor do we particularly need to fall in love with our choices once we make them.
I don't know what your def. of " choices" and "conclusion" are, but I'm assuming they are standard. Ergo ...
I mostly disagree with you on this point because -- stated very simply -- that's asking the brain to worry about (process) too much.
The conclusion process for MOST decisions is automatic (i.e., sub- or infra-conscious).

I hate to bring Heidegger's strange -- possibly wrong and often confusing -- philosophical ideas into this but, simply stated, we only become aware of much of mental activity when things go wrong:

Some relevant info begins at ~ 01:40

Sorry, we are swaying from the main topic here... which is: see OP.

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 04:45:17 AM »
My bad. I've never encountered the phrase "formal (maybe even well-known) fallacy" in anything other than a logic discussion. Of course, what you are describing may well be an informal fallacy - where the logic is accurate, but the founding  premise is unjustified.
Another "bad": You seem to only ref the OP and not follow or otherwise carefully track the discussion in this thread. In this subsequent post, I note some of the potential flaws in the OP (and as you note above). So, in a way, you're saying I have potential flaws in my "argument" after I've already admitted that these flaws may exist. Very confused, DG!
I think that I've gotten a little lost on what we are looking for:
A fallacy that describes the situation of an individual having come to a conclusion (on incomplete information) and then defending it as if it were an absoloute? And that a person trying to dig us out of our entrenched position would require much greater effort than was required to come to that conclusion at first instance?
Yes, for first question, tho' the info (on which the concl. is based) may or may not be "incomplete".
I'm not sure what you mean by only using the plural pronoun "us" in the 2nd Q's "person trying to dig us out". The fallacy/bias/whatever-you-wanna-call-it is more likely applicable to only one person. For MOST group (>1 person) decisions, multiple decision-makers would weigh in, diminishing or negating the "bias" in question.

DG's spoiler: "That doesn't sound like a fallacy to me".

Why the "spoiler"? Why resort to spoiler-open tag "tactic"? (Which I think is a bit strange) Repeating the question and remarks like "premise is unjustified" are confusing at least and smell of cunning negative spin (at most).
If you have an alt. theory/explanation, then pontificate. Otherwise you, as the adage goes, "talk a lot but don't say much".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:49:49 AM by hollow-man »

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 06:13:57 AM »
I just have to say that your over use of brackets makes your post a pain to read. You have brackets within brackets, and brackets that are entire sentences.

I just have to say, hollow-man, my own notes are of a similar nature.

do you have an example of what inspired the creation of this thread?

[my apologies for posting drunk, this is not something I make a habit of--usually any stupidity I exhibit is shamefully inherent.]
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline hollow-man

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
I realize that Rebecca Watson left on pretty rough grounds and the trauma of THAT circumstance left many of you SG-FUps emotionally unstable.
Completely sympathize.  :'(
But a few years of CBT (and prescription Percocet) should have stabilized the gang.
Hence, I request the original query be re-attempted once again.
Indeed, this query permeates from the very fabric of skepticism ecology.
Go ahead below ...

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 01:56:51 AM »
Are you talking about a fallacious methodology whereby the collection of data is terminated arbitrarily at some convenient point when the data points line up in a favorable manner to support one's preferred conclusion, and then call that a confirmation?

That's a form of "p-hacking." Steve has discussed that one before on the podcast. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:59:22 AM by John Albert »

personate-rain