Author Topic: What Happened This Time?  (Read 22014 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
What Happened This Time?
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to give the Forum members a detailed update on what happened this time with the crash and what I've done to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

tl;dr version: 

It broke.
It was the hosting company's fault. 
I fired them.
I hired a new and better hosting company and;
I have put in processes on the back end to ensure that this NEVER happens again.

(click to show/hide)

I am truly sorry that this happened a second time in a year and I have (I believe) made certain that this will NOT happen again.

P.S.  Thanks to TheLatinist and TLV for helping me select a new hosting site. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:20:51 PM by Belgarath »
#notarealskeptic

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: What Happened This Time?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
Glad to help.  And glad to be back!
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »
 :cheers:

Its good to be back.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
Well done everyone!
Might I suggest some sort of notification for new users for a while? Its going to suck getting old threads resurrected and having people think nothing has happened here since 2012!:D
Obviously restoring full functionality is a priority for now.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Might I suggest some sort of notification for new users for a while? Its going to suck getting old threads resurrected and having people think nothing has happened here since 2012!:D

It might even be worth putting a notice at the top of the main page. If it's anything like VBulletin and PHPBB (with which I am much more familiar), it should be fairly easy to put a brief couple of sentences at the top of the main page.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

It might even be worth putting a notice at the top of the main page. If it's anything like VBulletin and PHPBB (with which I am much more familiar), it should be fairly easy to put a brief couple of sentences at the top of the main page.

It's already there.  Mods just need to do something with it (i.e. like they already did  :) )
#notarealskeptic

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »

It's already there.  Mods just need to do something with it (i.e. like they already did  :) )

Indeed, the forum seems to remember that I collapsed it at some point in the past.  I don't think I even knew there was anything under the News tab.  Wonder what other essential information I'be missed. ;-)

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to give the Forum members a detailed update on what happened this time with the crash and what I've done to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Thank you all !!!   :woop:

tl;dr version: 

It broke.
It was the hosting company's fault. 
I fired them.
I hope you got a refund!!!

I hired a new and better hosting company and;
I have put in processes on the back end to ensure that this NEVER happens again.
So, we will not score with Andie MacDowell...  ::)  I can live with that!

... snip description of the activities of the sneaky bastard Murphy ...

This increases my liking of optical media as an alternative form of backup.   Out of curiosity, how much data is involved??  If it would fit(<25G), a monthly backup to an M-Disc BD-R would seem like a good thing.  I'll even send you some if you have a writer.

Thanks Again!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:04:26 PM by c60Unit »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work.  I needed my fix.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
I kept thinking that it was something that I was doing wrong on my end. Then I was thinking maybe the rouges got tired of all the bullshit on the BB and decided to pull the plug on it.
Good work all. I still can't believe this happened again.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
Strangely, my laptop finds the breadcrumb message to come here for both sguforums.com and www.sguforums.com.  My computer downstairs gets what looks to be a hosting site message for sguforums.com, but gets the breadcrumb for www.sguforums.com.

The one thing I would like to restore is the lead post of the "Edward Lewis Tobinick, MD et al v. Novella et al" thread.  I spent a fair amount of time editing that post to have a lot of useful links.  Strangely, I can find thread pages in Google cache, but not that first page/post!  I also tried the Wayback Machine at Archive.org.  Sguforums.com was scanned several times this year, but when I tried
https://web.archive.org/web/20140815072925/http://sguforums.com/index.php/board,2.0.html
things looked promising, but the wrong thread comes up when I click on the Tobinick thread.  So close...   Still, Archive.org may be of some use for people trying to recover content.  (Meantime, I'll keep poking around.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:22:26 PM by c60Unit »

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »
Remember when someone suggested that the same thing that was happening over at JREF with their forums could happen here and we all made fun of them? LOLOL what a lark that was.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
I...

it's...

we...

Glad to be back.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Jay_One

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 04:29:41 AM »
Thank you for sorting this out (again), I can't imagine it's an easy process. :)
A man reading a thesaurus saunters into a tavern.

Online starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »
Dark.
Cold.
Fuzzy indigo shapes appear and fade before his eyes.
Silence, punctuated only by random Youtube comments and adverts on facebook. However, he does not want an instant sixpack.

Then, far above him in the distance, a light sparkles, shifts, dances like a whisp. Grows closer, brighter.

He swims upwards, struggling against his own weight, reaches for the light that grows and envelops him. Gasping, his head breaks the surface of the water: he drags in breath, as if he hasn't breathed in days.

Well thank Jebus for that.

Hey guys, the rest of the internet is a bit shit, no? Like swimming in slurry. Nice to be back.

Thank you mods and Belg and all the others who worked so hard to bring back the light.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson