Author Topic: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)  (Read 52668 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
I think it is extremely interesting that it looks like the FBI cell expert made up his opinion before he saw any data.

That and the following:

1) The prosecutor showed evidence in court, but only showed 1/2 of the page.  When they showed the rest of the page, it completely refuted the prosecutor's point
2) The prosecutor produced an affidavit from the library security guard (really a signed set of investigator notes) which completely misrepresented the man's testimony
     a) There were no security cameras vs. I don't remember security cameras
     b) Adnan was NOT in the library that day vs.  There were lots of kids and I don't recall seeing a murderer because I would have called 911.

#notarealskeptic

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
I think it is extremely interesting that it looks like the FBI cell expert made up his opinion before he saw any data.

That and the following:

1) The prosecutor showed evidence in court, but only showed 1/2 of the page.  When they showed the rest of the page, it completely refuted the prosecutor's point
That was really the weirdest one of the bunch. I don't get what the prosecutor was trying to prove. That seems like one of those instances where, if I was a judge, I'd see that and think "okay, this guy is completely full of hot gas" and it would color my opinion of everything else he provided. Then again, the entire prosecution's case was a mishmash of the prosecutor attempting to testify, setting up big reveals that never happened, and general incompetence.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1067 on: April 02, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
How is season 2 so far? I've heard mixed reviews (as far as entertainment value goes), what say y'all?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1068 on: April 02, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
There was a decent point to be made that they should have gotten more of the political stuff (which they've been covering as of late) out of the way earlier; there was a concern for a while that all it was going to be was a "please please don't put Bergdahl in jail" piece when actually it's become more about some of the consequences of engaging in a long-term war with an all-volunteer army (at least in part; there's also a lot about the issue of politicizing the army and not a little bit about how the hell do you manage to survive 5 years in captivity). Bergdahl, in short, has a near-textbook case of schizotypal disorder, previously washed out of the Coast Guard, and in short never should have gotten within 10 miles of getting into the Army. His return also signaled a new direction that the Obama administration attempted to take in Afghanistan and which was only partially successful, in part because the driving force behind it died of a heart attack.

I'm finding it interesting, although not as good as the first season. There isn't the personal relationship between Sarah Koenig and Bergdahl the way there was between her and Adnan (in fact, the only access to Bergdahl she's had to date come from a series of interviews he conducted with the guy who wrote Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker), which I think is an especially big blow given that one of the things that's come out is that everyone who has interacted with him has come to the conclusion that he doesn't deserve to be placed in military prison for extended time. The other bit, of course, is that there's really very little mystery here compared to the first season: Bergdahl did what he did and nobody is really disputing the facts of the case (there has been some dismissal of some of the more UL-y aspects of the case, such as this idea that he was actively fighting for his captors, or that he wasn't really a prisoner at all, but I get the sense that these were never seriously believed by the powers that be in the first place). Still, you *do* still get a good idea of Bergdahl the person with all his good and bad parts, and if you don't *quite* understand why he went DUSTWUN, I think a good bit of that can be chalked up to the personality disorder he faces.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #1069 on: April 02, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »
Season 2 ended this week.  The last episode was pretty good.
#notarealskeptic

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1070 on: April 04, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
Season 2 ended this week.  The last episode was pretty good.
I liked it. It's a good reminder that you can't believe everything in the media, and the more sensational something is, the less likely it is to be either unbiased, or more likely, just factually bullshit.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1071 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
Sweet. Good review, Slick--I'll add this to the queue.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1072 on: April 04, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
I think Slick's take is pretty much spot on.  It definitely suffered from the host's lack of access to the subject.  Ultimately I liked it but did lot love it.  It was not addicting like S1.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #1073 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »
What Slick said and..  It was a very interesting look into army culture.  As a former member of the US Army I thought a lot of the nuances of army culture would be lost to an outsider listening. That may have been the reason for the lapse in popularity for season 2.   The Army has the big hive mind thing going strong and it affects the judgement of everyone.  Bergdahl, because of his mental state made him an outlier to the hive.  Such stuff is not looked on kindly in the army.  March in step in every way with your fatigues starched and your boots shined or you will stand out and that's not good.
  The act of leaving the post into hostile territory is outrageous and unthinkable to any regular.  The knee jerk response from almost any soldier is outrage and WTF was he thinking? 

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/adnan-syed-new-trial-serial_us_577581abe4b04164640f3edd

Adnan Syed Has Been Granted A New Trial
Syed’s case gained national attention when it was featured on the first season of “Serial.”

A Baltimore circuit court judge on Thursday vacated the murder conviction of Adnan Syed, the man whose trial for the murder of high-school student Hae Min Lee in 1999 was documented in Sarah Koenig’s popular “Serial” podcast.

Syed’s lawyer announced that he had been granted a new trial on Twitter
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1075 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
I think the state will appeal however and it will take a while unless they agree
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1076 on: July 01, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
I'm not sure how this works; if the decision is upheld and a new trial is scheduled, can Adnan request bail (not that he would necessarily be granted it)?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #1077 on: July 01, 2016, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm not sure how this works; if the decision is upheld and a new trial is scheduled, can Adnan request bail (not that he would necessarily be granted it)?

According to his attorney he can request and should be granted bail right now.  Most certainly if the expected state appeal fails, he is owed bail.

#notarealskeptic

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1078 on: July 01, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
I'm happy for him!

I'm happy for us too, now this topic will get another 100 pages of bickering!  ;) :P :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #1079 on: July 01, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »
Awesome news!