Author Topic: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)  (Read 50084 times)

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)
« Reply #1080 on: July 02, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
Reading through the judge's ruling he really ripped into that FBI cell phone expert who testified.  And also said that it was unacceptable that Adnan's attorney didn't even contact Asia. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#notarealskeptic

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Serial Podcast (WARNING: THE DUDE ABIDES)
« Reply #1081 on: July 02, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
Reading through the judge's ruling he really ripped into that FBI cell phone expert who testified.  And also said that it was unacceptable that Adnan's attorney didn't even contact Asia. 

I am an FBI guy, I am smarter than everybody else

This is the reality of Cell Phone evidence
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21615622-junk-science-putting-innocent-people-jail-two-towers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/experts-say-law-enforcements-use-of-cellphone-records-can-be-inaccurate/2014/06/27/028be93c-faf3-11e3-932c-0a55b81f48ce_story.html
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1082 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
It sounds like the judge, while ruling for the retrial on the grounds of ineffective counsel and not the Brady violation, left things wide open for the defense to appeal on behalf of the Brady violation as well if for some reason a higher court says that the defense not using the fax cover sheet in cross examination isn't enough evidence that Gutierrez was bad at her job. In fact, it kind of seems like the only defense that would hold water for "she wasn't actually ineffective" is "your honor,she can't have been ineffective because we never gave her that document in the first place", which, of course, makes the Brady violation pretty much a slam dunk.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1083 on: July 06, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
The defense can also counter any attempt with the cell phone evidence with the Asia evidence.
I wonder if the prosecution is trying to end it with an Alford Plea?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #1084 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:51 PM »
It sounds like the judge, while ruling for the retrial on the grounds of ineffective counsel and not the Brady violation, left things wide open for the defense to appeal on behalf of the Brady violation as well if for some reason a higher court says that the defense not using the fax cover sheet in cross examination isn't enough evidence that Gutierrez was bad at her job. In fact, it kind of seems like the only defense that would hold water for "she wasn't actually ineffective" is "your honor,she can't have been ineffective because we never gave her that document in the first place", which, of course, makes the Brady violation pretty much a slam dunk.

Based on all I've heard, the judge basically put the State in a bad position.  If they appeal on the decision, they open themselves to a cross appeal on the Asia issue.  And there was a very recent Supreme court decision (within the last few months) that basically invalidates the judge's reasoning on the Asia issue.  Essentially he's not allowed to read the mind of the jury.

Colin Miller from Undisclosed basically said there's an even chance that the appellate court will reverse on both the Asia issue and the Cell tower issue. 
#notarealskeptic

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1085 on: July 07, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
What'd be really nice is if the state just said "screw it, we'll redo the trial" or, better yet, were like "okay fine we give up" (the latter will never happen because it'll be viewed by some as allowing a murderer to go free, but one can hope!). The behavior of Theroux in the initial appeal lends me some hope that one of those will happen, but they'll probably fight everything tooth and nail and even at the end of all of it continue to insist that they got the right guy in the face of everything else. Which, 1. I'm not at all convinced that this is the case, and 2. this is completely not the point of why Adnan is getting a new trial. You don't get to put people you were pretty sure did a crime into prison by lying about evidence and invoking the race card.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1086 on: July 07, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
There are plenty of even stronger cases of innocence and the state still continues to go after the defendant(s) in such cases.
It seems to be all about closing the case and showing a high conviction rate.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
A new book:

Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After Serial Hardcover – August 9, 2016

by Rabia Chaudry 

https://www.amazon.com/Adnans-Story-Search-Justice-Serial/dp/1250087104
"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1088 on: July 29, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
I can't stand Rabia. I don't know why...

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1089 on: July 29, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »
I can't stand Rabia. I don't know why...

Susan and Collin are much sharper than she is. . . .Susan seems to have a gift for straining details out of material and Collin is great at the finer points of law.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1091 on: August 11, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
I found this case which has many similarities with the Adnan case
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11692015

Involves two people, one a friend, who accuse the defendant and where the police apparently coached the witness.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1093 on: October 29, 2016, 04:07:24 AM »
I think I know what the "Surprise" that Adnan's defense has.
Apparently, Jay Wilds has been reported has having choked several women.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1094 on: March 19, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Season 3

http://thehardtimes.net/music/season-3-serial-identify-three-members-fugazi/

I saw them play back in 1998 and was always curious about them. But when you try looking them up online, it’s always just Ian MacKaye photos and interviews. I need to know who those other guys were — someone else had to be drumming, right?”

They went from a murder mystery, to a neurotic soldier who went AWOL and held captive in Afghanistan, to "who were the other band members?!"

Really? A band? Fingers crossed that's good.

personate-rain