Author Topic: SGU Forumvision Redux - Part 2  (Read 37562 times)

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Re: SGU Forumvision Redux - Part 2
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »
wait! now I suddenly remember how bad I was doing. maybe I don't want to go on....
Your son is doing better. That's quite a feat.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
wait! now I suddenly remember how bad I was doing. maybe I don't want to go on....
Your son is doing better. That's quite a feat.
No kidding, Copacabana kicked my butt. but I might have got him with this classic round.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
Tell fonebone to get his boney butt up in here.

He says he's in yo.  I told him to come here and declare himself.

GET YOUR DAMN SCORES IN, JOHNNY SLACKER.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
I need a TLDR of what to do? I KNOW IM NOT A SMART MAN!

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
For Round 5 (Classic) I've received responses from everyone except for NIX. I'd prefer to have someone take his place, because that will spoil the spreadsheet a lot less.

Yo yo, send the playlist to fonebone!

Oh wait...Slicker FINALLY sent in his scores?  Halle-frickin-lujah.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
Johnny Slack be slackin'

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Oh, for fuck's sake, Slicker.  Arthwollipot, could you please share the round 5 (classic) playlist with both fonebone and Dumbass, I mean Johnny Slick?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
With pleasure.

[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed] *
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]
[noembed][/noembed]

* Note that the original video for this track was removed from YouTube for copyright violations. I found this one by searching, but I haven't taken the time to check that it is the same version. If there is a problem with it, please let me know an alternative as soon as possible.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
FON has replaced NIX in all my record keeping.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
IN.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Well, it's about got-dam time, son.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
Just waiting on FON, who has said he'll do it shortly.

Remember, you rate each song with one of the following scores:

0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12.

Do not rate your own song.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
This thing is still there:
A sortable list, if you find it helpful FON

http://www.anomalina.com/SGUFVr5.html
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »
ROUND 5: Theme "Classic"

No.TitleAAR/TEEARTAQBDRIGUIHENHIPNIX/FONPANSIMSLISNPTEQZARTotal
AAR/TEEGenesis - Land Of Confusion#4011202500526845
ARTJean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 48#063501011015242
AQBMerle Haggard - Mama Tried51#344501232712765
DRIAlexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek373#6214200321245
GUIRolling Stones - Paint It Black122510#12680645101090
HENSergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair00002#00612760033
HIPBlondie - Rapture657070#210712108377
FONScott Joplin - Pineapple Rag48250612#710181569
PANPaul Simon - American Tune738408712#4344165
SIMDire Straits - Romeo and Juliet2104017378#007453
SLIJon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam012112530042#00039
SNPMussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain1061281010101556#3086
TEQThe Band - Chest Fever101070143381012#665
ZARDon McLean - American Pie0062808600800#38

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »
Quote from: teethering
12 - Rolling Stone - Paint It Black : Hells to the Yeah.  One of my favourite songs of all time.

10 - Mussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain” : MOTHER RUSSIA.  Very solid entry and truly a classic.  Very evocative.

8 - Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 : I’m a huge fan of JMJ but this is not really the best of his stuff.  Oxygen 2 would have probably gotten 2nd place.  Aside from that it’s a very solid entry.

7 - Paul Simon - American Tune : Right up my alley, a very nice song and I like Paul Simon’s voice.  Gets some points deducted for having AMERICAN in its title.

6 - Blondie - Rapture :  Now this is a classic.  And a good song too.

5 - Merle Haggard - Mama Tried : Toe-tappingly good.  I’m sold.  I’m ready to hitch up my pick up and rassle some cattle or whatever.

4 - Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag : Brings The Sting to mind and that’s an awesome movie.  Other than that it’s unremarkable.

3 - Star Trek : It’s not bad.  It falls just short of your Indiana Joneses and your Star Wars and your James Bondseseses in the classic theme music department.

2 - Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet : I don’t hate it, but also don’t love it.  I guess Dire Straits is a bit more interesting than The Band so I’ll rank them higher.

1 - The Band - Chest Fever : I don’t hate this but it also fails to grab me.  So much organ.  Fails to grab my organ.

0 - Genesis - Land Of Confusion : I generally don't hate Genesis/Phil Collins but this is meh.  Very meh.  Why this is a classic I have no idea.

0 - Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 - Scarborough Fair - Ugh.  This is a great song but it’s quite possibly the worst possible arrangement of it, the cloying muzak crap.  Ugh ugh ugh.  I feel dirty.

minus 0 - Rutter Fecit Potentiam :  I smell Johnny Slick all over this entry.  The choir singing and also the yak butter and overall badness.  This is a minus 0.

infinite minus 0 -Don McLean - American Pie : I hate this song more than I hate Johnny Slick.  The idiotic lyrics,  the god-awful overplayed piece of crap tune.  At least it’s not McArthur Park, but then we’ve lost that recipe haven’t we.

Quote from: arthwollipot
ROUND 5: CLASSIC

1. Don McLean - American Pie: 0. I can’t hear this song without hearing “A long long time ago, in a galaxy far away, Naboo was under an attack…” No, I can’t take this song seriously. A large part of the problem is that it’s all the same as itself. There is no bridge, no change in the progression, no variation - it’s verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus ad nauseam. It’s far too long, and it doesn’t go anywhere.

2. Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet: 10. On the other hand, this - typically for Knopfler - this one has direction and focus. Good choice, especially since it’s not Money For Nothing.

3. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair: 0. Oh my dog, this is terrible. I’ve never been a fan of the song in the first place, but this is a truly awful rendition. I usually hate it when someone takes a song that was written in 3 and smacks it about so that it fits into 4.

4. Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4: Mine. Early Jarre - from his second album. Listen to it in headphones. I didn’t like where Jarre went after about 1990, but his early work was incredible. Actually, looking him up I see that this was his third album, and there was one before Oxygene that I never knew about.

5. Merle Haggard - Mama Tried: 1. I want to get a job as a bass player in a country and western band. Country is so easy, musically speaking. It’s all fourths and fifths. I grew up playing jazz, which is full of sevenths, ninths and suspended thirds. This simplicity is what irritates me most about country music in general.

6. Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam: 12. Wow, that was great. Being able to follow the score was extra-good. A fascinating piece of music - now I have to go and look up the rest of it.

7. Paul Simon - American Tune: 3. He knew how to write a song, I’ll give him that. This is a little slow for my taste, but it’s certainly got everything in it.

8. Rolling Stones - Paint It Black: 2. About the only Stones song that I actually like, but I’d be hard-pressed to tell you why. I think a studio version would have been better than this live one.

9. The Band - Chest Fever: 0. Mmm, I’m not really feeling this one. The vocal line is a bit ragged for my ear. Also, it all sounds pretty much the same - except for that odd little bridge.

10. Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag: 8. I love a good Joplin rag, but they do sound a little cliched, right? Their apparent simplicity belies their technical complexity, and that’s why they’re so beautiful.

11. Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek: 7. There is one problem with taking a 30-second TV theme and stretching it out to two and a half minutes, and that is avoiding simple repetition. This added a b-section, which turned out quite well. It’s a nice theme, but I’ve always thought it a bit incongruous for the show. Odd cutoff at the end.

12. Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain: 6. Good choice. And props for not taking the easy route and posting the Fantasia version. This particular rendition is at a very slightly slower tempo than the one we’re all used to, and I think this takes a little bit of the energy away, which is a pity.

13. Blondie - Rapture: 5. One of my favourites, but not the one I would have chosen as a classic.

14. Genesis - Land Of Confusion: 4. Gotta love Spitting Image, but the song is fairly uninspiring. I’d probably not take any notice of it if it weren’t for the puppets.

Quote from: AQB24712
This round was fun, yet presented a bit of a conundrum.  A confundrum.  Many of us having been saying how much we enjoy hearing new tunes, and one wouldn’t think of a “classic” as being completely unfamiliar.  Unless, I suppose, it were in a genre to which one had little to no prior exposure.  So I got a little fuddled trying to sort out “is this a classic?” from “do I like this?”  But, like Mama, I tried. 

Mussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain”   12
Well, you can’t beat this with a stick, says I.

The Band, “Chest Fever”   10
Gah.  Dat organ.  (Hush, you.)  I can hardly understand a got-damned word, they all sound drunk, and I might’ve chosen “The Weight” or “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” as a classic from The Band, but this is hard to resist.

Paul Simon, “American Tune”  8
Ah, one of those songs that’s based on a bit of olde-timey music.  Lovely.  Got a bit of a soft spot for Simon, I do, with or without Garfunkel.

Blondie, “Rapture”  7
This is very silly.  Very very silly.  Always was.  Still is.  And I still enjoy it.

Don McLean, “American Pie”  6
I don’t need to hear this very often, but it’s a beautiful piece of songwriting and, yes, a classic.

Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”  5
I think this might be the only Rolling Stones song I can tolerate.  Or one of the few, anyway.

Dire Straits, “Romeo and Juliet”  4
I see what you did there, Forumvision goober.  A song that shares a title with an actual classic.  And having heard Lou Reed and Bob Dylan in an earlier round, I’m struck by how Mark Knopfler doesn’t actually, y’know, sing.  But I do like this song.  I like “Skateaway” better, but this’n’s okay.

“Star Trek Into Darkness”   3
Putting aside the geekitudinosity of this selection, it’s a perfectly serviceable piece of music that effectively conveys the needed sense of drama and adventure.  I’d like it better without the cheese-tastic vocals.

Scott Joplin, “Pineapple Rag”   2
Well, it’s a classic, I reckon, but it kinda falls into the “I appreciate it but don’t enjoy it” slot, for me.

John Rutter, “Fecit potentiam”  1
Really, Slick?  No Sinatra?  I love classical music in general, but I dislike classical vocals in general.  And lordy, especially at the beginning, this sounds kind of…what?...Star Trek.

Jean Michel Jarre, “Equinoxe 4”   0
Speaking of things that might be considered classic in a genre with which one is largely unfamiliar.  I know ol’ JMJ was The Man at what he does, but he’s not so much my man.  Appreciate, don’t enjoy.  Is this meant to be listened to actively, or should it just percolate in the background?

Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66, “Scarborough Fair”   0
Oh geez, really?  Sergio and the gang were certainly a Big Fat Hairy Dope Deal in their day, but to take a folk song and make it sound so…smoothed out…processed…not human…well, as Hall & Oates would say, I can’t go for that (no can do).

Genesis, “Land of Confusion”   0
Whether or not this qualifies as a classic, I have never liked this song and I still don’t.  The video was considered daring and edgy and maybe iconic, but I don’t ever need to hear the song again.  Unless it’s maybe without the vocal track.

Merle Haggard, “Mama Tried”
Now this is a classic, libs!  Concise, yet tells a whole story with heartfelt regret, without being maudlin.  An iconic cornerstone of an iconoclast’s career, and an exemplar of the Bakersfield sound.  And a terrific sing-along chorus.