Author Topic: SGU Forumvision Redux - Part 2  (Read 36019 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: SGU Forumvision Redux - Part 2
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
Quote from: Drunken Idaho
Ah, what fun. I mostly stuck to my standard of scoring on personal enjoyment, but did give some points for theme.

My song: A. Courage/M. Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek

Both classic and classical, get it?? I love the old theme, and thought the modern rescoring is terrific. Fie on you if you disagree.

The "your music is good and you should feel good" tier

John Rutter - Fecit Potentiam  --  12
OOOOOH OW a weak spot... freaking love Rutter. One of my favorite modern composers to both perform and listen to. So happy you like him/this too!! 

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black  --  10
Yeah, well done. Terrific song, and absolutely a classic.

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain  --  8
I like the piece better than this specific performance. I prefer to hear it more uptempo, and heavier, such as this'n:
(click to show/hide)
You get bonus points for going classical. (little C; style is technically Romantic). Much like Ravel did with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Rimsky-Korsakov masterfully arranged Mussorgsky's original composition into the iconic piece that you hear here. MM was a gifted composer, but lacked somewhat in his orchestration abilities. Like most of the other pieces included in the film, Fantasia ensured this work's enduring popularity, and it really is great ear candy.

The OKAY! tier, sponsored by lil jon.

The Band - Chest Fever  --  7
Heh, neato. Gaudy 70s keys to introduce an understated bluesy tune. I can dig it.

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe --  6
I like me some electronica, and this is definitely a classic. Some catchy elements to it, I think this song has aged quite well, owing to Jarre's innovation.

Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag  --  5
Definitely some bonus points for taking the theme to the extreme; doesn't get much more "a classic" than this. Truly innovative, Rag is something 'Merica can be proud of. The grandparent of all modern pop music. This style led to jazz, which led to everything else you hear today. I don't care to listen to it all that much... but still, well done.

Paul Simon - American Tune  --  4
Nice, chill song. I like Simon's voice.

The "eh, not so much" tier

Merle Haggard - Mama Tried  --  3
Objectively, a pretty good song. Subjectively, not my thing.

Don McLean - American Pie  --  2
Absolutely "a classic," but man, I really don't like this song. Probably just heard it too many times, sorry.

Genesis - Land Of Confusion  --  1
Not horrible for 80s music. This is high praise coming from me.

Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet  --  0
Not a bad song, but the singer's diction is pretty annoying.

The NOOP tier

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair  --  00
Sounds like elevator music. Seriously, that's all I can think about while listening to this.

Blondie - Rapture  --  000
I'm happy for you if you think this is "a classic," but it annoys the hell out of me.

Quote from: Guillermo
8 - Don McLean - American Pie - I Always liked this song. This will be a really hard round to rate. However, I prefer Madonna's Version by a little more. Yeah I know, and Weird Al Rocks. This is really good stuff, piano man level really.

1 - Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - This is not something that appeals to me. I just don't feel it. The video is pretty weird.

2 - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair - Not bad really. Soothing but not my cup of tea.

3 - Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - It does some quite interesting things with the synthesizers.

4 - Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - Had I not become a fan of Johnny Cash, This one would have not been of any Liking to me. But it ok now.

5 - Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam - I have no idea why I like this.

0 - Paul Simon - American Tune - I think I only like 2 songs from Paul Simon. This is not even close.

0 - Rolling Stones - Paint It Black - Mine. I wanted to play this one for a while. This si the perfect oportunity to play it. However, I didn't know which version to include. I placed this live version since its sounds good and has an oldie feel to it. Timeless though.

0 - The Band - Chest Fever - Yeah, this is not something that I like. Not even a little.

0 - Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag - Are we in a saloon now? Yeah, this is just too common and uninspiring.

6 - Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - You know I never tok my time to listen to the Star trek theme.

10 - Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - This is awesome. I never new the name of this. Just that it was in a Disney cartoon or something. I really like this piece.

7 - Blondie - Rapture - Blondie was one of the first bands that I got to learn about growing up. There are ton of songs from them that are better though.

12 - Genesis - Land Of Confusion - Yes I scored this one before hearing it. I have heard everything else, so me being a fan of this song and knowing it by heart pretty much tells me that this is the winner for this round for me. And It's Reagan kissing an ape.

Quote from: Henning
I liked all of them. But also, had no strong feelings about any except my first and last. Big mushy middle again. In the end, classicity didn't end up mattering that much. Peoples' interpretation was so wide  that I had to revert mostly to "would I listen again" as my standby metric.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair
Mine. This song is so sexy. Moody. Fell in love with it when I saw Bakshi's Heavy Traffic, rediscovered it about the time the songs were due, so went with it. A way-classic song masterfully arranged.

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
Obviously, yes. Beatles and Stones is almost cheating. I might dock a few points for that normally, but this song is especially yes. It is part of my own rotation, but I don't get tired of it... it is one of those songs that definitely puts you in a place and a mood.

Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet
Nice. Ain't heard it before. Gonna add it to my classic rock playlist.

Paul Simon - American Tune
Nice. Ain't heard it before. Gonna add it to my classic rock playlist.

Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag
Simple and old-timey, but it made me happy each time this song rolled around.

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain
A classic indeed. His name really was Modest? Heh. Very evocative. I wonder what I would visualize to this piece if I hadn't watched Fantasia over and over as a young'n.

Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam
Pretty good. I had to decide does it count as classic if I haven't heard of song or composer?

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4
I'm guessing this guy was a synth pioneer? Sounds good. Will explore his discography more.

A. Courage/M. Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek
An orchestral treatment of the TV theme. It's good. It's classic and classical. Would I play it on my own tho? Naw.

Merle Haggard - Mama Tried
Didn't hate it for all that country. This jumps a few places because even tho it's country, I was singing along by the third listen... So, a surprise.

The Band - Chest Fever
Nothing stands out about this to me. Except the band name, in its remarkable non-remarkability. It's fine... but look at everything else...

Don McLean - American Pie
Yeah. Can't argue its classicity. Just never cared too much for it. A skip, especially at that length.

Genesis - Land Of Confusion
Holy shit, why don't we make more awesome troll-puppets these days? Look at how many they made for one video! Unless this was part of a series...
Well, looking past that... Pretty good. Not totally objectionable for being so clearly of the eighties. Sounds like Phil Collins singing, which takes some points.

Blondie - Rapture
It's too bad. I was really into this until she started proto-rapping. Part of the definition of a classic for me is that the song ages well. This does so not. The man from Mars is eating cars, huh? It's like she has no respect for the lyricists of this new genre. Rap is word vomit a child could write, plus whatever beat... let's try that! And the more I thought about it, the more pissed off I got. If this came up during another round, I might give it some ironic points for an awkward, but interesting, cultural touchpoint. A transition from rock/disco to rap. During the classics round tho... nah dude.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
Quote from: HighPockets

I was surprised to not see any Beatles or Beach Boys in the list. There are defiantly songs here that I would consider classics of genres that I completely over looked.  Scott Joplin was a great choice, but I don’t know about the Pineapple rag as being a classic example.  Other songs I don’t think have been around long enough to be considered classics yet. They may be primed to become one, but have not passed the test of time.

Score: 7 Paul Simon - American Tune – This, I think, was a very good choice for this game and particularly this round. Not as overt as a Simon and Garfunkel tune would have been, but you hit one half of classic 60’s folk and evolved into a long standing well respected composer. Maybe a little to America centric for a world view.

Score: 8 Don McLean - American Pie – A CLASSIC! No doubt. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone of any generation that couldn’t sing along with the refrain if not every single word, usually at the top of their lungs.  In a game that gives points to creativity in submissions, this is kind of a softball, almost TOO obvious.

Score: 3 Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet – well… considering that the indigo girls pretty much blew him out of the water with this song , does that undercut the ‘classicness’ of this song. I don’t know if I can consider Dire Straits a good representation of the 80’s power ballad.

Score: 0 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair – this one I just could not figure out where the classic part come in, it’s certainly not a prime example of a cover song, if you wanted to consider it a cover of S&G, it’s certainly a twist on the traditional ballad but it’s by the time it was recorded it had already been done better, and gotten a lot of publicity from other artists.

Score: 0 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 – I had to google this guy to see why this is even in a classic round.  I never would have thought of electronic/techno as something to consider. He seems to have some cred, this comes down to just personal opinion. Not really all that fond of it.

Score: 5 Merle Haggard - Mama Tried – Haggard is a classic in and of himself, but this particular song seems like a Johnny Cash rip off, I think there are better examples from country music that Haggard sang.
Score: 0 Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam – This, just like Equinoxe 4 I had to google to find out the story behind it. I don’t think that Rutter has been around long enough to have classics yet. That’s based on one quick search. But one of the things that make a classic, classic IMHO is a wide range of people know and appreciate the music. This seems kind of nitchey.

Score: 0 Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam – This, just like Equinoxe 4 I had to google to find out the story behind it. I don’t think that Rutter has been around long enough to have classics yet. That’s based on one quick search. But one of the things that make a classic, classic IMHO is a wide range of people know and appreciate the music. This seems kind of nitchey.

Score: 6 Rolling Stones - Paint It Black – This is one, I very much would have expected to show up in this list, The Stones, classic, and this song specifically is a very good choice for the English invasion.

Score: 4 The Band - Chest Fever – Classic, Woodstock, but this is not really my thing. I don’t know much about The Band, but I would imagine that this is a good representative of the era, certainly a better choice than maybe Hendricks or maybe Cream.

Score: 12 Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag – yep, Classic. Everything about this one is classic. Artist, song, even the arraignment. Makes me wish I had gone back a little further. Rankings here are only personal preference at this point. I should have thought out my entry a little better.

Score: 1 Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek – I would have taken the original TV theme over this. Yes it’s a classic, but this scoring makes it overly dramatic, which I know is what they wanted but this recording will never be the ‘classic’ that the TV theme is.

Score: 10 Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain – classic in the classic genre. And an interesting choice for picking the Ludwig Symphony Orchestra but then again you may not have had much of a choice with recordings on the you tubes.  I much considered parts of the Ring Cycle to submit, but couldn’t really find a recording on line that I really liked.

Score: 2 Genesis - Land Of Confusion – I can’t really say, how much I don’t like Genesis. I never found them compelling when they were at the height of their popularity, and now it just sounds like tired left over 80s music. The only classic part may be the video.

Blondie – Rapture – the one thing I like about my selection is that it stands out against almost every other song.  I wanted to pick something that stood out, but could still be considered classic. I don’t know why this song popped into my head, maybe it was more Blondie the band than Rapture itself, but I wasn’t going to submit Heart of Glass. Now looking at the competition, this was a bad choice.

Quote from: fonebone
Don McLean - American Pie - 6
Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - 7
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair * - 0
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - 10
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - 0
Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam - 0
Paul Simon - American Tune - 12
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black - 8
The Band - Chest Fever - 3
Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - 4
Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - 1
Blondie - Rapture - 2
Genesis - Land Of Confusion - 5

Quote from: PANTS!
Paul Simon - American Tune - mine - A Classic on many levels.  In its own right, it is a classic, from a classic himself.  One of the greatest American songwriters ever; I think he rivals Cole Porter.  But also it is about America; when it became a Classic culture and country, and its subsequent fall from grace.  (I disagree with Simon about this, but he sure makes a beautiful case.)  And still the classic part goes deeper: 

Quote from: Wikipedia
The tune is based on a melody line from a chorale from Johann Sebastian Bach's St Matthew Passion, itself a reworking of an earlier secular song, "Mein G'müt ist mir verwirret," composed by Hans Leo Hassler. The melody used for "American Tune" can be heard quite distinctly in part 1, number 21 and number 23 and in part 2, number 54. "American Tune"'s melody is practically identical to that of "Mein G'müt ist mir verwirret" and "O Sacred Head, Now Wounded", although Simon expanded on the tune. Credit to the origins of the melody is given on his album cover

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black  000 - I didn't hear any objectively awful songs this round.  And in general this is in no way an all zeros song.  HOWEVER, this is far too ubiquitous.  Like American Pie, I can only really enjoy this in certain contexts.  And still I would have rated this higher than American Pie except this is a terrible recording.  His vocals kept dropping out at the end.  That kinda killed this entry for me.  Sorry.

Don McLean - American Pie 00 - Sigh.  Once upon a time I would pine for this song to come on the radio.  That time has passed.  Its not the Song's fault and its not the players fault, but I'd be OK if I never heard this song again.

Genesis - Land Of Confusion - 0 - I am not a fan of Phil Collin's era Genesis.  Phil is the Mike Love of Genesis, IMHO.  And this song is so 80's prog rock.  The bridge is especially out of place and weird to me.  I am kinda worried that this might be considered a classic.   :laugh:   :'( 

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - 01 - Jeeze - New Age music.  What the hell do I do with that.  Just not my bag man.  I am familiar with his work, and I know he is very respected, and I can appreciate his work.  But I wouldn't listen to it by choice.

Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - 02 - Not a bad arrangement.  But really, I don't think this is a good composition at all.  And my enthusiasm for Star Trek does not translate into enthusiasm for the theme music.

The Band - Chest Fever - 03 - The Band is "The" Band, 'tis true, but this one just slipped away not long after every time I listened to it.  I would be hard pressed to tell is this were the Allman brothers, or The Marshall Tucker Band.  Still a yeoman's job at piano based blues.

Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam - 04 - Interesting.  I could use this on game night.  I generally like this chorale stuff, and this was competently arranged, but a little generic which made it run of the mill for me.  I was surprised to see it was a recent arrangement though.  Anyway plus points for a bona fide classic.

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - 05 - Well known in the PANTS! household.  Nice to hear the full piece again.  I know so little about classical music so I don't know what to say.  But I enjoyed this version.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair - 06 -  HA!  So fucking 60s.  Very enjoyable.  I liked the harmonies and the samba rhythms.  Also the Ray Manzarek-ish keybord solo.  When I looked it up it looks like it was produced on the A&M label by Herb Alpert.  Yup that's about right!  This was a nice take on a real classic.

Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag - 07 - Came into this one expecting to give it a 12.  I love Scott Joplin and all that New Orleans type Jazz.  This one was rather more subdued than I like my rags.  Interesting though that it seemed to highlight the almost mechanical precision this pianist has on that striding left hand.  Not enough to put it in the cellar, but not enough to bump it to the top.

Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - 08 - Yup - this too is a real classic.  Knoffler has a gift for song lyrics, and dare I say it like Shakespeare he somehow turns the very specific into the achingly universal.  He also knows this story in its many tellings.  The lyrics are littered with lines from Shakespeare, and my fave line from this song is "There's a Place For Us." which is natch a reference to West Side Story.  His guitar playing is stellar - so precise and measured.  He never fell for the OiVey Palmsteam bullshit of faster = better.  (AQB: I like the Indigo Girls cover better - they capture a frenticism that Mark Knoffler is far too laconic to tap into.  Also - I came really close to going with Sultans or Roller Girl, but this is obviously better fitting with the theme.)

Blondie - Rapture - 10 - Yup - Thats a classic alright.  Classic white appropriation of black music!  Seriously though, it is a great tune, and has not nearly worn out its welcome with me.  Some touches that I really like: the 80s new wave sax riff at the end; the tubular bells; "Rhap Tuah"; The incongruous yet so right heavy metal guitar lick after she screams "GET OFF".

Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - 12 - Fucking awesome song.  This is a true classic, but unlike some on this list is is all but forgotten nowadays.  This is what David Allen Coe was talking about when he wrote the last verse of "You Never Even Called Me by My Name".  This sound is what the Beatles were trying to capture when they covered "Act Naturally".  Wish I thought of including a Bakersfield sound classic like this. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
Quote from: Simon Jester
Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet: Why this song? I dont know, I like the song and I couldn't get it out of my head, I don't care for the MTV song, Sultans is probably more of a classic and I really like skateaway but this one gives me chills, It makes me happy and I had a tough time choosing for this round, Classic means so much, I would rather have a tighter category.

12 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair: More chills, great song, its a sexy song when they do it, I like it better when they did it rather than S and G.

10 Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag, this is probably the best “classic” on the list but did not produce the same chills, Reminds me of the Sting but still stands on its own without the movie.

8 The Band - Chest Fever: Wow, this song has everything a rock classic should have.

7 Blondie - Rapture, I would have scored other songs by Blondie higher but this is still a good one.

6 Rolling Stones - Paint It Black: same thing, There are Rolling Stones songs that would have won this round for me but this one does not place as high, still a great song.

5 Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain:  Spooky and classical, not to mention its use by Disney, how can you go wrong.

4 Paul Simon - American Tune. For the third time, one of my most beloved artists but not a beloved song.

3 Merle Haggard - Mama Tried: This is a great song when performed by a completely different band, but Ol Merle deserves some points for writing it.

2 Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam: This was OK , not too exciting

1 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4: Meh

0 Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek: the only thing I get out of this song is the announcement that a good show is coming on, I don’t see it as a great musical piece.

00 Genesis - Land Of Confusion: OK i can accept this as a classic but as with other songs on this list (including mine) Why this song? out of all the Genesis sones available, this one does nothing for me, Suppers Ready for Gabrial years and Mama or Abicab for the Phil years, the mid 80s stuff was yuck, I liked Mike and the Mechanics better than this.

000 Don McLean - American Pie : Yes its a classic, a classic I absolutly hate, I charged $1000 to play this song once and actually got it, (1 of 3 times I accomplished this feat)  I walked out of the room as it played, I just dont like it. (BTW the other 2 were, “In a gadda da vida” and “Free Bird”, I have probably made 10k off of freebird over the years, I usually charge $100)

Quote from: Johnny Slick
My choice: Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam. I am a pretty big classical choral music fan, and this is probably my favorite "classical" choral work (the entire Magnificat, not just this selection) of them all. I put "classical" in quotes because it's definitely modern classical with its syncopated rhythm and use of extended chords. I chose Fecit because I love contrapuntal stuff a lot and you just don't hear that in modern music at all, for better or for worse. Also, I really dig the soft dissonance of some of the chords at the end of this song.

12 Blondie - Rapture - I enjoy the crap out of this song and I felt that for once I would eschew the idea of the "guilty pleasure" and rank this #1. BECAUSE SCREW IT. I'm still not sure if this is just a really great song or a truly, amazingly awful song on the level of "When Zaz Turned Blue" or "What If God Was One of Us". I think what gets me is this:

And it comes right down and lands on the ground
And out comes a man from Mars
And you try to run but he's got a gun
And he shoots you dead and he eats your head
And then you're in the man from Mars
You go out at night, eatin' cars
You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too
Mercuries and Subarus

If I had 2 12s to give, I would give both of them to this song.

10 The Band - Chest Fever - My first thought here was, "why Chest Fever? Why not one of the songs The Band is more well known for, like The Weight or The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?". The thing is though, Chest Fever is a damn fine song in its own right. It's got a surprisingly funky bassline - I guess I shouldn't be *too* surprised given the band we're talking about here - and otherwise, well, it's The Band with all that great stuff that that entails - the honky tonk piano, the rhapsody-esque change of tone (love the Dixieland interlude in the middle), did I mention the bassline?

8 Don McLean - American Pie - I've read a fair bit of poetry thanks to having a degree in English with a creative writing emphasis, and by and large pop music lyrics are just not good poetry. There are definitely exceptions, though, and to me American Pie is right up at the top of the list, perhaps along with Famous Blue Raincoat (actually, I'm not sure if that really counts as "pop"). I love the historical depth in the lyrics to this song. The song itself is a little bit on the "meh" side, I guess (though I love that chorus) but as a vehicle to deliver what to me is the greatest piece of American poetry of the 20th century, it works.

7 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair - So, I'm a bit torn on this song. On the one hand, I love love love me some bossa nova, especially the bona fide 1960s stuff (as opposed to the 90s faux-bossa stuff that got popular as part of the lounge movement - it's not that I don't like the Pizzicato Five, but the real deal is realer). On the other hand, the folk version has those great harmonies which are largely missing from this version. Which is fine, it's a very jazzy version, but man... love those vox. I'm still gonna rank it high because bossa nova is awesome.

6 Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - My initial thoughts when I saw this was "OH MAN I LOVE THIS SONG". Then it started playing and I realized that I only like this song and the song I love is In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg, so I may or may not have turned this off and listened to that instead.

5 Genesis - Land Of Confusion - I think this is the one song of these 13 that I actually remember listening to when it originally came out. It's got a great video, done by the guy who did some puppet show on the BBC, and I think that's why I like it. Well, that and my 11 year old self liked Genesis for some reason. This song sounds very, very 80s now. I don't think they actually have a drum set on this song, just some very, very cheesy synth drum. Why am I ranking this song so highly? I think Blondie may have broken my will to live.

4 Rolling Stones - Paint It Black - Man, that is not what I think of when I think the Stones. I mean, I've heard this song a zillion songs, and I'm well aware of the Stones, but this song sounds so much more 1960s than what I think of the Stones. Anyway, they were a good band back in the day. Mick Jagger at this age was definitely better at rocking out than in the slower moments of the song, but that's part of the charm, I guess.

3 Paul Simon - American Tune - Not the Paul Simon song I'd have chosen for this round, but it's a good song nevertheless. Simon's one of those guys who - and I hate to sound like a snob TOO often during these things but here we go - was/is an actual musician on top of being a pop musician, and that really in my mind makes him stand out from the crowd. Still... if you're going to do Simon, why not some of his &Garfunkel stuff? "The Boxer"? "Why Won't You Write"? "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"? "Cecilia"?

2 Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - Not the biggest fan of country in general, but there is something to be said for an honest song by a person who made a lot of mistakes (no idea if this song is autobiographical but it doesn't really matter). I like songs told from the POV of a less-than-perfect protagonist and this one fits the bill. Musically, it had some okay vocal harmonies for country, I guess.

1 Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag - Ragtime is a genre I appreciate more than like. I mean, I totally get that it's a precursor to jazz, and I can hear the influences in the music. It's not *horrible* but would I find myself buying an album of this? No. I wouldn't run screaming from the room if it was playing, which is more than I can say about a lot of songs in this tournament.

0 Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - I vaguely remember when this came out. I don't know. It's not *terrible* but I'm not sure it's a "classic", it doesn't really make me want to go out and find more Dire Straits, and, well, there are just better songs on the list. Sorry to whoever chose it!

0 Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - Hmm. I think I would have gone with the original TV show version for this round. This is, I'm sorry, mostly background music, with all the same memes we've heard in orchestral scores since John Williams scored Star Wars and Close Encounters. I kept expecting the composer to, like, do something with the theme, but I guess that's not something you have the leeway to do with a song like this, much less a 2 minute, 17 second version of a song like this. On a side note, I was in a jazz combo in high school that did a version of the theme from Star Trek, and frankly I think we took more risks than this song took.

0 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - Maybe I've been too far removed from grading these songs to get my good old fashioned curmudgeon on, but this song merely didn't do anything to me. It's not, like, offensive, and maybe it's very meaningful to someone out there, but this is like mood music or something, nothing that makes me say "oh wow I must listen to more of this". I'm generally against music that is designed to be played in the background while you're doing something else, so this will rank rather low.

Quote from: SnarlPatrick

12 - The Band - Chest Fever - Never listened to The Band but always knew about them. This is my jam. Great stuff.

10 - Blondie - Rapture - This song is familiar because they made it the chorus of KRS One's Step into the world. I love the original as well.

8 Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag - Hell yeah. Scott Joplin is just as cool and original as when he was first making this music. Totally timeless.

7 Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - Mama Tried is a great meloncholy song. I have enjoyed more bluesy, less country covers of it more, but the original is still great and not inauthentic sounding like a lot of country. I could listen to this, on low volume, in a diner at 2am while I ate blueberry pancakes.

6 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Sounds like a film soundtrack song, where people walk in slow motion with this in the background.

5 Rolling Stones - Paint It Black -Not the best performance of a pretty good song I listened to a lot as a child.

4 Paul Simon - American Tune - Like most Paul Simon songs, I find this overly sentimental. "everything put together falls apart" is one of my favorites though.

3 A. Courage/M. Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - I'm trying to listen to this on its own merits, rather than just thinking "star trek" and its pretty damn good. Great sweeping moods. Lovely.

2 Genesis - Land Of Confusion - Nice reagan mask. I prefer my music without politics, but this is pretty decent sounding. Wouldn't switch it off, but not on my ipod.

1 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - That's a great album cover. This seems to be roots electronica, so I get why its a classic. The piano stuff is really unremarkable though. I had never heard of him until now, then just now, I heard a mention on "peep show" and got the reference.

0 Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam - A bit repetative, but I like the darkness. I picked a similar theme.

0 Don McLean - American Pie - A classic, but an annoying one in my opinion. Overwritten, catchy but irratating tune.

0 Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - Vocalist sounds like Bob Dylan. Another overwritten piano ballad.

My pick - Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain. If you don't recall, this was the penultimate piece on Fantasia. Big evil monster. Awesome.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
Quote from: Teqs
Don McLean - American Pie - 0 - I think I've heard the drunken pub version of this a few too many times to score it high. It's up there with Khe Sanh for that particularly dubious honour. Having said that, I would have scored Khe Sanh above 0. I wonder how many of you know the song, given Cold Chisel are Australian?
Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet - 7 - Not my favourite Dire Straits song, but still ...
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair - 0 - Oh my god. Why did they do this to the song? The original worked, and the variant used in Girl from the North Country worked, but this didn't. I just ... argh!
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4 - 5 - Not usually my thing, but not 'Will it be over soon?' either.
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried - 12 - I love this song, and Merle Haggard. I heard the Randy Travis version first, though. I have a perfectly explicable love for country music on account of having been exposed to it from a very young age thanks to my mother's favourite radio station when we were in the states.
Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam - 0 - Probably works better in context.
Paul Simon - American Tune - 4 - Yeah, I'd probably skip this on a playlist.
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black - 10 - My father's favourite radio station was classic rock, so again, indoctrination at a young age. Incidentally, my Bob Dylan thing is a result of sharing a wall between bedrooms with my sister as a teenager.
The Band - Chest Fever - Mine. Not one of their iconic songs, but many of those could be mistaken for country, and The Band was so much more than that. Though I suppose I could have gone for something more recognisable, though The Weight has been overplayed ... will be surprised if this scores well.
Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag - 1 -  I'm having flashbacks to my 8th grade piano lessons. I hated that teacher.
Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek - 2 - Meh. I'm just not that into instrumental music.
Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - 3 - Despite my comment about instrumental music, I did like how this was interpreted in Fantasia.
Blondie - Rapture - 8 - Odd choice of song for this artist, says the person who made an odd choice for her own entry.
Genesis - Land Of Confusion - 6 - Land Of Confusion - I am ambivalent about Genesis, and this song.

Quote from: Zaros
Don McLean - American Pie------------N/A
Dire Straits- Romeo and Juliet-----------4
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Scarborough Fair-------------0
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe 4------------2
Merle Haggard - Mama Tried-----------7
Jon Rutter - Fecit Potentiam-----------0
Paul Simon - American Tune----------1
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black--------------10
The Band - Chest Fever----------6
Scott Joplin - Pineapple Rag------------5
Alexander Courage/Michael Giacchino - Theme to Star Trek-------------12 We played this in high school band. I rock das trumpet
Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain----------0 No.
Blondie - Rapture-------------3
Genesis - Land Of Confusion------------8

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
CUMULATIVE SCORES

AAR and NIX swap out, replaced by TEE and FON. GUI jumps several places to second place, after TEQ, by submitting a Rolling Stones Classic. SNP scores uncharacteristically high, bringing him up a couple of places. ZAR falls back to the floor. Again.

Round:123456789101112Total
TEQ8377856565xxxxxxx375
GUI8160557490xxxxxxx360
AQB7987477965xxxxxxx357
ART4380976642xxxxxxx328
PAN5557766365xxxxxxx316
HIP8051664077xxxxxxx314
DRI49100576245xxxxxxx313
AAR/TEE4493763845xxxxxxx296
SLI7139576739xxxxxxx273
NIX/FON4436396669xxxxxxx254
HEN4943555533xxxxxxx235
SNP3517513886xxxxxxx227
SIM8220205053xxxxxxx225
ZAR1752314938xxxxxxx187

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
Next round:

The theme for the next round will be (I'm going to hate myself for this): Christmas!

Please be a little bit imaginative. I don't want to see a dozen submissions of David Bowie and Bing Crosby.

Send your submissions to me by PM.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
This is fuckin' hilarious.  :laugh:

Quote from: Simon Jester
000 Don McLean - American Pie : Yes its a classic, a classic I absolutly hate, I charged $1000 to play this song once and actually got it, (1 of 3 times I accomplished this feat)  I walked out of the room as it played, I just dont like it. (BTW the other 2 were, “In a gadda da vida” and “Free Bird”, I have probably made 10k off of freebird over the years, I usually charge $100)

Good job, man, good job.

Next round:

The theme for the next round will be (I'm going to hate myself for this): Christmas!

GOOD.  Because I hate you for it, too!  Guhhhhhh.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
Christmas, Oh what fun, by the time the votes are done it will be the fourth of July. I'm going to submit a Sousa march.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »
Note: All Christmas songs with the "f" word automatically get a 0.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
yeah, and the "S" word,
and the "W" word,
and the "C" word.

BTW I'm already in. This was a no brainer.

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »

"Falalalala"?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
BTW, Zaros has previously submitted a song for this round, but he may wish to change it.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »

"Falalalala"?

F*gg*t
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
BTW, Zaros has previously submitted a song for this round, but he may wish to change it.

I suspect, that it couldn't do any worse than what he's been doing so far.

love ya, lowpocket.  ;)

"Falalalala"?

I thought he meant "F"rozen, and that we should just "let it go."

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
So a no go on this?

Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain