Author Topic: LCHF and healthy eating  (Read 25552 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
LCHF and healthy eating
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
More dietary fun from Oz.  I hope that big Pharma doesn't pull this issue like it did the two last winter.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/lowcarb/
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: LCHF and healthy eating
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Big Pharma pulled this issue the past two winters?  I do not understand what you mean.  Can you explain?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
The pharmaceutical industry in Oz forced ABC to withdraw two issues of Catalyst concerning diet and heart disease a few months ago.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
The data on statins is certainly open for varied interpretations.
There is fair reason to think the data might be skewed in favour of companies omitting negative results.
The pharmaceutical industry did ask ABC to remove the two episodes. ABC initially refused but eventually caved when they realised (as they admitted) that the piece broke their policy on impartiality. So it seems like their undoing was poor journalism against a powerful enemy.
Maybe big carb will do the same thing? I didnt read the whole piece but Tim Noakes pops up alot and he isnt noted for his balance on the issue if i recall...
But if their piece has balance then I doubt they have much to worry about.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
The data on statins is certainly open for varied interpretations.
There is fair reason to think the data might be skewed in favour of companies omitting negative results.
The pharmaceutical industry did ask ABC to remove the two episodes. ABC initially refused but eventually caved when they realised (as they admitted) that the piece broke their policy on impartiality. So it seems like their undoing was poor journalism against a powerful enemy.
Maybe big carb will do the same thing? I didnt read the whole piece but Tim Noakes pops up alot and he isnt noted for his balance on the issue if i recall...
But if their piece has balance then I doubt they have much to worry about.

As I recall, there was one line of dialog in one of the episodes that showed bias, and rather than follow their customary policy of issuing a disclaimer, they pulled the episode. (Don't know about the other episode.)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
I didnt listen to the programs. I just looked up some reports of the story. They admitted bias. I duno what to say beyond that.
Lets wait and see how this story goes. Im pretty sure it will be fine.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:44 AM »
Noakes has gone full circle.  He authored "The Lore of Running", a bible to some, and was the co-inventor of "goo", and has apologised for both.  He now follows a ketogenic diet.  His running times have improved and his T2D has disappeared. 

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
Dr Jeff Volek has published a new study of a very well controlled nutritional trial, comparing high saturated fat intake vs high carbohydrate intake.  Guess what; high fat intake reduced markers for heart disease and the high carb (55% of calories, mimicking the estimated percentage of the standard american diet) increased those markers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141121151104.htm

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0113605

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
My own private thread.  Cool.

A really great interview with Dr Dominic D'Agostino regarding the geekier aspects of ketosis.  From children with intractable epilepsy to navy seals to athletes.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/dominic-dagostino-ketosis-oxygen-toxicity-187/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:46:15 PM by lonely moa »

Warren Zevon

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
Dr Jeff Volek has published a new study of a very well controlled nutritional trial, comparing high saturated fat intake vs high carbohydrate intake.  Guess what; high fat intake reduced markers for heart disease and the high carb (55% of calories, mimicking the estimated percentage of the standard american diet) increased those markers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141121151104.htm

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0113605

I'm always a bit leery of short-term studies. I know studies are extremely fraught with difficulties, and it's easy to take pot-shots at them, but acute changes can balance out over time.

My own private thread.  Cool.

I'm following along, just don't have much to add.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 01:59:55 AM »
Volek and Phinney have been at it for 30 years.

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Noakes has gone full circle.  He authored "The Lore of Running", a bible to some, and was the co-inventor of "goo", and has apologised for both.  He now follows a ketogenic diet.  His running times have improved and his T2D has disappeared.

An excellent chat/interview with Tim Noakes and Mark Sisson here:

http://blog.primalblueprint.com/episode-50-mark-interviews-dr-timothy-noakes/

It contains an interesting look at how T2D can sneak up on a marathon runner.

Warren Zevon

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
Fantastic conversation with Peter Attia here:  http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/12/18/peter-attia/

Warren Zevon

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
More dietary fun from Oz.  I hope that big Pharma doesn't pull this issue like it did the two last winter.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/lowcarb/

I have greatly reduced my carb intake and cut out sugar (except for holiday meals) and get most of my carbs from either rice or potatoes.  but most of my meals are protein and lots of vegetables.

I feel great and lost weight.  Whether it is from simply reducec calorie intake or other factors, I do not know.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
Glad to hear you are eating healthily.  Sounds a bit like my diet... but I rarely eat rice, just spuds.  I am fortunate to live with a woman that is an exceptional gardener.

That's exactly what is explained in the interview with Tm Ferriss and Peter Attia.  NUSI is currently doing just that, using metabolic chambers and human volunteers.  Dr Attia would be happy to have the hypothesis that carbohydrates are the driver of obesity confirmed but equally happy to see it disproved.  NUSI has hired scientists and laboratories that don't see eye to eye and will keep the project honest.    The science just hasn't been done and the world has gotten fatter since industry and government started meddling in food in a big way.

Ate states, once again, that everyone knows the second law of thermodynamics, but just saying that putting on weight ls due to eating more than one uses is uninteresting.  He makes a little analogy something like Bill Gates is wealthy because he spends less than he earns.  It's  what is making people overweight and obese that is interesting and important.

NUSI is also addressing the growing problem of non-alcoholic liver disease in children (liver surgery is Attia's specialty).  The reigning hypotheses are too many calories, too much sugar or too much fructose. 

Warren Zevon

personate-rain