Author Topic: Trump pick for education secretary is a creationist...  (Read 3498 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Trump pick for education secretary is a creationist...
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
Does that mean no more Federal grants and/or loans for college as well?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
Most likely they will want to try and change it so they can give federal grants exclusively to religious schools but I think their main goal is in rolling back any regulations that are inconvenient to their agenda. 

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Most likely they will want to try and change it so they can give federal grants exclusively to religious schools but I think their main goal is in rolling back any regulations that are inconvenient to their agenda.

The first rollback will more likely be to reverse the Obama administration's crackdown on the for-profit schools. These guys have lots of money and political clout. The game is sign up people who can't hack college, load them up with federally-guaranteed debt, and then walk away with the cash while the student gets a shit education.

Real colleges do it this way: Convince the poor kid he is a potential football/basketball star, load him up with federally-guaranteed debt, give him a shit education of easy classes he might be able to pass, and then drop him when his eligibility runs out.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »
Real colleges do it this way: Convince the poor kid he is a potential football/basketball star, load him up with federally-guaranteed debt, give him a shit education of easy classes he might be able to pass, and then drop him when his eligibility runs out.

There may be problems with real colleges and with collegiate sports, but that's not it.
Your mileage may vary.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
Be prepared for heavy rolls. . . .I suggest reading the whole article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/influential-conservative-group-trump-devos-should-dismantle-education-department-and-bring-god-into-classrooms/2017/02/15/196bf872-f2df-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.2718e1e2ff96

A policy manifesto from an influential conservative group with ties to the Trump administration, including Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, urges the dismantling of the Education Department and bringing God into American classrooms.

The five-page document produced by the Council for National Policy calls for a “restoration of education in America” that would minimize the federal role, promote religious schools and home schooling and enshrine “historic Judeo-Christian principles” as a basis for instruction.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:47:38 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/influential-conservative-group-trump-devos-should-dismantle-education-department-and-bring-god-into-classrooms/2017/02/15/196bf872-f2df-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.2718e1e2ff96

A policy manifesto from an influential conservative group with ties to the Trump administration, including Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, urges the dismantling of the Education Department and bringing God into American classrooms.

The five-page document produced by the Council for National Policy calls for a “restoration of education in America” that would minimize the federal role, promote religious schools and home schooling and enshrine “historic Judeo-Christian principles” as a basis for instruction.

She will get plenty of resistance to this. Especially when different religions start crying separation of church and state. The first amendment is in play here.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »

She will get plenty of resistance to this. Especially when different religions start crying separation of church and state. The first amendment is in play here.

In the UK they do direct state funding for religious schools.  We won't get that here, but many private schools have religious affiliations, so a voucher approach is the likely work around.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
and bringing God into American classrooms.

Yeah - let's require him to show up
Amend and resubmit.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
My state Rep, who is home-schooling six kids on fundie curriculum, supports a bill which would give him his kids' share of state funding, which comes to about $35,000-$60,000 annually depending on how you count the funds.

Not a bad second income. But it would kill our rural schools.
Mister Beagle

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
My state Rep, who is home-schooling six kids on fundie curriculum, supports a bill which would give him his kids' share of state funding, which comes to about $35,000-$60,000 annually depending on how you count the funds.

Wouldn't pitchforks come out rather quickly? 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline bimble

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »

In the UK they do direct state funding for religious schools.  We won't get that here, but many private schools have religious affiliations, so a voucher approach is the likely work around.

We don't have separation of church and state... indeed there are 26 bishops of the Church of England in the upper house (House of Lords)

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »

Most people have not figured this out. My understanding is that some-20 Republican state reps home-school. Remember these are the same guys just caught paying union rates for heath insurance instead of state non-union employee rates, while tamping down union rights. They have no shame.
Mister Beagle

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Trump pick for education secretary is a creationist...
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »

We don't have separation of church and state... indeed there are 26 bishops of the Church of England in the upper house (House of Lords)

Clergy have never been banned from holding public office in the US. It's not that uncommon. They can run for office just like anyone else. (Don't think the house of lords works that way)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:19:01 AM by estockly »
Your mileage may vary.

Online Nemmzy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2017, 11:06:17 PM »

This is the shit that keeps me up at night. So, I hope so but it is real hard to get the community to rally against the fundies on much where I am.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2017, 03:10:11 AM »

This is the shit that keeps me up at night. So, I hope so but it is real hard to get the community to rally against the fundies on much where I am.

My semi-hope is if we get a horrible situation is that we get a backlash where  both moth charter schools and home schooling get banned. Many countries don't allow home schooling.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain