Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 25961 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Darkest Dungeon -- early access

So far so fun.  I reaaaaally dig the writing in this game.  It's your Diablo-esque gothic dialed up to absurdity, which is precisely the sweetspot for that sort of writing as far as I'm concerned.

Game mechanics are engaging enough so far, you get your bunch of heroes and go on adventuring and they become afflicted with various crap from stress in the dungeons, so you meditate, drink, pray, flagellate, gamble and whore them until they are ready to go back in.  They gain XP, loot and upgrades to take on bigger challenges, and you keep turning the crank.  Very satisfying.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
I've recently gotten into online multilayer for Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Quite addicting.

9/10 for the multiplayer

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
Dying Light.

Yeah, this game is the shit. Nighttime is actually totally scary and will kill you.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
Mr Jack.  An excellent 2 player board game.  Not enough of those out there.
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
Mr Jack.  An excellent 2 player board game.  Not enough of those out there.

I agree - need more 2 person games. Mr Jack sounds good, but could you play it over and over without it getting boring? There seem to be mixed reviews on this point.

Have you tried Hnefatafal or Morabaraba? Both easy to find on the interwebz and easy to make. Both are strategy games. Hnefatafal is also called Viking chess.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
Shadow of the colossus

9/10

Jesus, the only problem I have with it is that it is too short. You would think that a game with so few game machanics would be boring, but fighting monsters as big as apartment complexes  doesnt seem to get old.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:32 AM »
Mark of the Ninja accomplishes perfectly, the seemingly impossible. A 2d platformer stealth game. You wouldn't think it could work, but HOLY SHIT does it. The art style is spectacular. The story is compelling. The soundtrack is excellent. It even has massive replay value, as you can beat each level in 4 distinct ways, as a non-lethal ghost, as a hidden assassin, as an aggressive warrior, or as an aspect of terror, acquiring collectables, unlocking meaningful upgrades, techniques and useful gadgets. Enemy AI and puzzles are genuinely challenging and beating an area you had trouble with is immensely satisfying.

"The benchmark by which all stealth games are now measured." 10/10 Destructoid.
10/10 Steam rating.
4.5/5 Metacritic rating.
10/10 Snarl Rating.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 07:21:22 PM »
I just picked up "Homeworld: Remastered Collection" if you missed Homeworld when the games came out back in the late 90s early 2000s and you're on fan of space strategy games (think Sins of a Solar Empire) you NEED to get this.

The biggest thing (aside from the minimalist storytelling and awesome visuals) is the fact that it was honest-to-God 3D movement. You can totally pull a Wrath of Khan "his thinking betrays a two-dimensional mindset" on an enemy.

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
Majora's Mask.  Ah, the memories.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 02:46:07 AM »
I played through Dead Island because they gave it away on Xbox Live. Terrible game. Wouldn't recommend it. 5 broken hammers out of 10.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »

The new 3D remake might finally make me go out and buy a 3DS

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »

The other Zelda for 3DS (the one made for it) was very good as well.  Mario Kart is great fun, as always.  I also have bought smash brothers but haven't had time to sit down and play it yet.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
Started playing Rome: Total War again, great game.  I've tried Rome 2 but its too much detail.  I think the original as just about the right combination of strategy, tactics and I don't have to think too much to play. 

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

The other Zelda for 3DS (the one made for it) was very good as well.  Mario Kart is great fun, as always.  I also have bought smash brothers but haven't had time to sit down and play it yet.

The 3d on Ocarina of Time 3DS was great until you actually needed to do anything at which point you had to turn it off or risk dying. Otherwise, a fantastic port of a wonderful game. Also, yeah, mariokart kicks arse in any format. The best racing game in terms of playability and excitement imho. I am a massive Wii U supporter. It has been a great machine to own for so many reasons, not the least of which have been Mariokart, Zelda and a wicked back catalogue of Virtual Console games.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:25 AM »
Rim World!

I have lost so many hours to this tedious little sim.

A video I made!

"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

personate-rain