Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 25960 times)

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
NEO Scavenger.  There's an excellent game in here, I am sure, yet somehow I always die, yet I want to play more.  Could desperately use a tutorial.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »
The Oregon Trail Deluxe
Still pretty awesome.  I am much better at it than when I was 9.
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Oregon_Trail_Deluxe_The_1992

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Short and sweet: if you liked the old Unity RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, get Pillars of Eternity NOW. Oh, who am I kidding, you're probably already playing it. I'm going to go back to doing that right now. F-ing fantastic.

9.5/10 for me.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
Damnit Louie, you just convinced me to blow the rest of my birthday wad in my Steam wallet.  Downloading Pillars now.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 10:06:31 PM »
Yeah, it's really an incredible game, the kind of game that a. reminds you of Baldur's Gate and b. ends up pissing you off when you realize that it's been like 15 years since Baldur's Gate came out and *nothing* has been anywhere near this good since that time. What the fuck, game companies? What the fucking fuck?
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
Upgraded my 3DS to the New 3DS and before I got a chance to sell it on eBay, my brother-in-law hooked me up with a friend of his looking to trade his PSVita (with games) for my old 3DS (XL).  I definitely made out on the trade and was able to take advantage of a PSN sale where a ton of games were $0.80 that are usually much more than that.  As such:

Gravity Rush

(click to show/hide)

I'm still in progress on this game, but I've passed the 50% mark of the storyline so I can give at least a reasonable account of it.  I'm not a big anime fan or anything and though this game definitely has a Japanese feel to it, I am having quite a bit of fun.  The story is pretty dumb so far as I can tell, but the gameplay mechanics are novel and difficult to master making it more and more fun to hone one's skills.  Also, the graphics are spectacular for a portable system.

Hotline Miami

(click to show/hide)

This game is flipping amazing!  It is violent as all hell (well, as violent as you can get with a 16-bit top down visual style that is), but I have had so much fun working my way through this game.  Basically, there is a loose story that means your job is to go to a place and massacre everyone there (typically they are supposedly the Russian Mob) and that is what every level consists of more or less. Most buildings have multiple floors and each new floor starts a checkpoint for you, and oh my god will you need that checkpoint.  You will die constantly in this game as a matter of course, but the respawn method is so quick and seamless, with the checkpoints so reasonably spaced that it is not a problem at all.  All there is, is just you slowly but surely refining your path of carnage throughout the floor to get the most points and not die (1 hit kills you btw).  The gameplay is so tight too that once you get going, you feel like a freaking beast.

I'll post more as I play through them more.  I have about 10 games to burn through.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 04:25:06 AM »
Short and sweet: if you liked the old Unity RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, get Pillars of Eternity NOW. Oh, who am I kidding, you're probably already playing it. I'm going to go back to doing that right now. F-ing fantastic.

9.5/10 for me.

Yeah, absolutely amazing. The only gripe I have is that the NPCs are not as plentiful and cool as in BG. There were 25 of them in BG 1, and only 8 in Pillars, none of whom are a Minsc.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 12:21:39 PM »
Weren't a lot of the NPC added to BG Expanded Edition?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
There were a great deal of NPCs that came with the original game as well. One thing to bear in mind was that the original game assumed that the *only* character you created yourself was the main character.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
There were a great deal of NPCs that came with the original game as well. One thing to bear in mind was that the original game assumed that the *only* character you created yourself was the main character.

But unless you are a chronic min/maxer, why would you create more than one character?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
Some people are chronic min/maxers. For that matter, I've seen people beat the game with a one-character mage-only party, which is not easy at all but I guess you could do a 2-character mage/tank combo or something... otherwise, I personally don't know why you'd want to do that but then I loved the crap out of BG and found Icewind Dale a bit on the boring side.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
Been playing the expansions for GTA IV. Yes, four. I am behind.

They're great, but seem a little hastily thrown together at times. I think Ballad of Gay Tony is probably better than the Lost biker gang thing. Much longer too. Still, great voice acting all around, as always; cool story, funny cameos by Niko, Roman, Brucie, etc. But man, I wish there were a gun shop in north Algonquin.

8.5/10
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
I finished Singularity. Fun little FPS, with strong elements of Bioshock. Good visuals and an interesting time-manipulation elements.

I just started Crysis. It's pretty much a straight forward FPS. Thus far, good but not great.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 04:20:15 AM »
"Life is Strange" is a different thing altogether. I'll go as far as saying it's the most original and genre defying game out there at the moment, and the critical acclaim it's receiving is beyond justified.

On the complete opposite side of the "Awesome" spectrum (meaning it's also awesome but for completely different reasons) it's "Carmageddon: Reincarnation", a reboot of the "Carmageddon" series that's absolutely 100% faithful to the originals and is the purest form of FUN I've had in a long - long time! It's currently in public beta, though, so there's stability issues still, but the game is SWEEEET.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
Does anyone else become nauseated playing FPS? Played the Destiny demo last week and it took me out of commission for hours.