Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 24075 times)

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
Haha, I saw a review and now I really fucking want that, too, but Nintendo's style usually doesn't do much for me.

You know, that and I'm not made of money either.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline barocon

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Now we are at the edge of excitement!
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »
Last week I played 15 hours of Oxygen Not Included alpha. It's a space colony survival simulation / management game.

Right now in alpha I think it's pretty fun for a couple of games but quickly runs out of things to do in late game.

The art style is amazing. Colonists (duplicants) look adorable and make cute high pitched sounds.

I think there are some weird design decisions. The game doesn't have any goals unlike Rimworld or Factorio. So basically you can't win the game and eventually your colony will die from lack of oxygen. Also you can reject accepting more colonists to your colony and you can survive for much longer if you don't accept too many of them.

I love colony sims so I would give the alpha 7/10 score. If they add more content and fix some design issues then it can easily get 8/10.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
I want Zelda, but don't have a Switch or Wii-u. Was considering getting a Switch but the large amount of hardware problems I've seen reports of has convinced me to wait until they have a chance to adjust production. Especially since Nintendo went and pulled a Nintendo and locked your save files to your Switch so if it does need to be replaced, you have to start over every game you have. Fuck. That. Hell, they even locked SD cards down so you have to wipe it before you can use it in another Switch.

I do have Horizon and damn is it good.  Already plunked 30 hours into it this last week and I never do that anymore.  I'm loving that even as I level up and get better, I can still just accidentally walk into situations where running away is pretty much the best option. Also, I just started playing with the included photo mode (with some surprisingly robust optiins) and I'm having a blast.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #393 on: March 10, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
I have the same problem, I want mario maker badly but not willing to purchase a system just to play one game. I see the Wi is coming down in price but Im betting it will still be a while before it comes down low enough to justify one game.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
I went halves on Zelda with my gaming buddy who has a wii u. So I should have it when he is done.

I dont think the switch is worth buying just yet as there arent enough games.
The thing about exclusives is that if you wait long enough, you can get them when the console generations chage one way or another.
Im catching up on a few years of games now and its very exciting.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
I've been on a big puzzle game kick lately* so I decided to go back and play through Portal 2.  Turns out the story line and dialogue ended up adding to the replay value more than any individual puzzles.  What I was impressed by is how many really strong user generated test chambers exist.  Some of these are fantastic, complete with extra dialogue from J.K. Simmons.  I also played through some of the speed/least portal challenges in the main game, which aren't quite as robust as they were in the first one, but still reveal subtle design decisions that you would never notice with a casual play through.

*and open for recommendations

Offline Waffle

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Rock hard for rocks.
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2017, 06:48:21 PM »
I got around to playing Horizon. I give zero shits about the story, it's just so uninteresting in the beginning. It kinda picks up speed later but still. Love the robos, they should have just canned the story and made a robos hunting game instead. Would have been tons better IMO.

Also reinstalled Aurora. Can't get enough of dem spreadsheets.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »
I got around to playing Horizon. I give zero shits about the story, it's just so uninteresting in the beginning. It kinda picks up speed later but still. Love the robos, they should have just canned the story and made a robos hunting game instead. Would have been tons better IMO.

Also reinstalled Aurora. Can't get enough of dem spreadsheets.

Aloy's personal journey is OK I guess.  Fairly standard fair for the most part.  I really enjoyed the world building though and really, really liked uncovering what exactly happened to the world and how it got from here to there.  Won't spoil it for anyone, but it was different and interesting.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Zelda - Breath of the Wild 9.6/10

I have been wanting to review this for a while but I have so little free time at the moment.
I am going to keep this short.

This is one of the best games I have ever played. I am a massive fan of Zelda games and Nintendo in general but, despite the fact that I enjoyed the other zelda games immensely (WW, SS, TP and OOT - the 3D ones) I always felt like there was something missing, some level of structural realism. They felt like an abstraction, a fairy tale experience with narrative logic holes throughout.

This game, while it is still a cartoon abstraction of real life, at least has geographic and elemental consistency. By which I mean, it is absolutely HUUUGE and stuff behaves mostly like stuff.

The fighting mechanics are glorious. The cooking is wicked fun. The enemies are many and varied and beautifully designed. The only issue is that the boss fights are too easy depending on which weapons you have. This is only a minor gripe.

Overall, my kids and I have had a total blast. Such a fun game.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

personate-rain