Author Topic: The Legend of Korra  (Read 2554 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
Re: The Legend of Korra
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
Even if you want to argue that the ending was ambiguous, at very least, she didn't end up with Mako and she didn't let romance drive the story (which was a big problem I had with the first season)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
I also feel it was opposite of Aangs story arch, he had trouble fighting, and was to reliant on peaceful methods of problem solving, until he ran into someone who forced him to fight.

Korra has trouble not getting physical, and she needed to slowly learn to use her logic to solve situations rather than brute force.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
I also feel it was opposite of Aangs story arch, he had trouble fighting, and was to reliant on peaceful methods of problem solving, until he ran into someone who forced him to fight.

Korra has trouble not getting physical, and she needed to slowly learn to use her logic to solve situations rather than brute force.

I remember someone saying about that comparison that The Last Airbender was about a human learning to be a god, while The Legend of Korra was about a god learning to be human.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:38 PM »
Important update: Bryke (Bryan Konietzko and Mike Dante DiMartino, the show's creators) just posted on their respective tumblrs that Korrasami is 100% intentional, planned, canon and real:

“The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple.”
—    Michael Dante DiMartino
–Maimonides

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
“The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple.”
—    Michael Dante DiMartino

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 03:58:01 AM »
Last night I discovered The Legend of Korra was available on demand on my television, I'd vaguely heard it was good so watched the first four episodes of season one. It seems okay so far.

I guess I've spoilered myself big time reading this thread.  :P

From reading the thread it kinda seems cliche that a character comes out as gay half way through or towards the end.  It'd be nice if a series had gay characters from day 1, instead of just something the writers come up with because they're running low on ideas.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 05:34:52 AM »
Nah. Its all subtext in certain scenes. The actual plot hasnt really been spoiled at all I dont think.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
Last night I discovered The Legend of Korra was available on demand on my television, I'd vaguely heard it was good so watched the first four episodes of season one. It seems okay so far.

I guess I've spoilered myself big time reading this thread.  :P

From reading the thread it kinda seems cliche that a character comes out as gay half way through or towards the end.  It'd be nice if a series had gay characters from day 1, instead of just something the writers come up with because they're running low on ideas.

Nope, absolutely not 'towards the end'. It's been developing organically for two seasons, it just wasn't the center of the plot - which is kind of what made it so good and realistic.

Nah. Its all subtext in certain scenes. The actual plot hasnt really been spoiled at all I dont think.

Well, in some scenes, but in others it's pretty blatant.
Also... (spoiler for very last scene)
(click to show/hide)
–Maimonides

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
Heck, the relationship wasn't just organic, it was one of the more realistic relationship developments on TV in general.  They really became a solid pairing that made sense as friends.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
What Im saying is that there was no "Toff,Tenzin, theres something I need to tell you..." moment.
And its not really part of the plot. She is just a caring badass who happens to develop feelings for a really smart and badass lady.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
Heck, the relationship wasn't just organic, it was one of the more realistic relationship developments on TV in general.  They really became a solid pairing that made sense as friends.

Yes, and BECAUSE it was so organic it was so vital in LGBT representation - because it wasn't a 'token' gay relationship like you have in almost every single other television show or movie, and for once the gay characters didn't die or get put on a bus out of town - they had a happy ending - and it was natural and incredible.
I mean just read this guy's post:
(click to show/hide)
–Maimonides

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
Cool. Just caught up.
The subtext went right over (under?) my head, I just figured Korra was finished with romantic love until she was done battling everyone... but then why did they take that episode to rehash the triangle between Korra, Asami and Mako? I see what they were up to now.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Well okay, I was just going by what I read in this thread when I wrote that. If it happens gradually, that's not as bad, but it still would be better if she'd been gay from day one.

Anyway, overall I've only watched the first twenty or so episodes so far, but I'm finding the show a bit variable. Some great episodes spoiled with some terrible scenes and some poor episodes helped by a couple of good scenes. One episode had an ending to bad I almost gave up watching any more episodes.  I think it's slowly getting better but it's still falling short on the hype I've read. The animation and character designs are great, the voice acting is so-so, and the writing is pretty variable.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
Well okay, I was just going by what I read in this thread when I wrote that. If it happens gradually, that's not as bad, but it still would be better if she'd been gay from day one.

Anyway, overall I've only watched the first twenty or so episodes so far, but I'm finding the show a bit variable. Some great episodes spoiled with some terrible scenes and some poor episodes helped by a couple of good scenes. One episode had an ending to bad I almost gave up watching any more episodes.  I think it's slowly getting better but it's still falling short on the hype I've read. The animation and character designs are great, the voice acting is so-so, and the writing is pretty variable.

1)  We are never really told Korra's sexual identity.  For all we know her bisexual nature is not new to her.

2)  The second season was really weak in my opinion.  Third and fourth were much better.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Early preview of the upcoming Legend of Korra comics: Turf Wars:

(source: Entertainment Weekly)

The rest are here:

(click to show/hide)
–Maimonides

personate-rain