Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 22819 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:28 PM »
Continuing my Seeso trial, Harmonquest: 2/10.

Alright. So 2 out of the 2 Seeso things I've watched have been short, about 26 minutes per episode. Problem: Harmonquest is a roleplay game show, and 25 minutes of play (minus the intro and outro) is barely enough time for anything to happen. They're using Pathfinder (I think) but the rules structure is so divorced form the show that they should have used something more rules-light and just had fun with it. There's also a lot of not really funny stuff happening that's applauded as though it's funny.

If it was people ironically pretending to play D&D and hitting tropes, it would be funny. If it was an Adventure Zone style play podcast with people sort of unfamiliar with the system and also who were entertaining, it would be watchable. Unfortunately, Dan Harmon is he comedic equivalent of a brown paper bag, the redhead (I didn't catch a name or it didn't stick) is almost incoherent most of the time, and the other guy (also no name I can recall) appears to be the only one who has potential.

Worst of all, I briefly had a D&D player who thought that Harmonquest was a model campaign, and was just constantly disruptive in a "LOOK AT HOW WACKY I AM" way. I can only blame Harmonquest for this. I get it, I have really enjoyed campaigns that get out of hand, but that only works when it gets out of hand because the players are playing their characters well, not when the entire character concept is WOW LOOK AT HOW WACKY I AM I'M TOTALLLY INCONSISTENT FROM SCENE TO SCENE BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY.

Some of the comedians they have as rotating guest players are really funny people, but I watched Chelsea Peretti and Paul F. Tompkins struggle to deliver a performance. I like watching those people, and I did not enjoy them at all in this.

2/10. Not funny, not engaging as a story or a game, continually interrupts itself, and generally was all the worst things I can imagine in a role play game. I would expect this from a bunch of kids who watched the first D&D episode of Community and then decided they could make a YouTube version of that in their garage. I am extremely disappointed that creative, funny people turned out this hot steamy turd.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #406 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
Colony is picking up in its second season. I do like after 2 seasons we know very little about the aliens.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #407 on: March 17, 2017, 10:08:26 PM »
2 episodes into Iron Fist.
Its unbearably bad.
Terrible dialogue. Mediocre choreography. Shite story. Bad characters. Bad acting.
The first 10 minutes had me hopeful but Im not sure I can finish this.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #408 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
It picks up (a little) after the third episode.  It's worth running in the background, more or less. 

It's funny that they deliberately wrote the protagonist to be an idiot. 

Edit: There's some throw away lines I really like.  Episode 10's not too shabby either.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:31:51 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Its kinda good that that team is not preternaturally great at writing.  It also is good that their worst example of writing is not the last half of a black culture focused show.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Ok so for me, the show never got better.
It suffered the same bizarre coincidence storytelling that dragged Luke Cages second half down. Mild generic spoilers below:

Finn Jones is a terrible actor. His performance is unlikeable and unbelievable. He is terrible at the stunt work, he cant even run convincingly.
The character himself just REEKS of entitlement. He cant comprehend how people dont believe him or give him whateber he wants. He just tells people that he is awesome and that he is Iron Fist and people quite rightly give him blank stares (later, he claims everyone he told wants to use him as a weapon. This is a flat out lie.)
The character is written as unsympathetically emotionally unstable and abusive (he beats a student in a kung fu class he wasnt even invited to, let alone be in charge of)

People compare it to Ironman and Batman in terms of played out tropes, but its far worse than that. At least those two struck out and made themselves. Danny stumbles on a monastary and is 'destined' to be the one. He is just a petulant kid who wants all the best bits of both of his ide toties but without any of the responsibilities.
Seeing him get played by, and try to intimidate an old lady he is interrogating is fucking embarrasing.
A throwaway line by one character motivates him to
(click to show/hide)
Seeing him fall for a bugs bunny level honey trap in mid fight is even worse.
All the action is awful and lacks momentum, weight or stakes. Danny rarely punches anyone in the face and when someone gets badly hurt in his fights he freaks out. Like a kid doing karate moves in the playground.
Speaking of karate- the conflation between japanese and chinese arts is very clumsy. Its never really acknowledged, students of each tradition just kind of slip into the other whenever suits.
Rosario Dawson is wasted but at least her character seems as exasperated as I felt. I have no idea why she stuck around.
The character of Davos was interesting. He SHOULD have been the Iron Fist but the predestined golden boy was instead and fucked it up. Interesting how the same description could be applied to both actors because he would have made a far better Danny Rand.

The corporate bullshit was bullshit. And boring. I dont watch kung fu shows to see the trials and tribulations of being a billionaire.

As I said,I enjoyed the first 10 minutes but after that I dont have a single good thing to say about this piece of shit.

Anyway, I dont think theres anything here that you need to see in order to watch the Defenders, which is the only reason I watched it all. But I dont think most people dislike it as much as I did.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
Some of the things you mention - a deluded, entitled upper middle class white martial artist thinking he's hot shit and not understanding why nobody else thinks he's a hero - seem like they'd be fantastic territory to explore, although I can understand Marvel not wanting someone to trash one of their franchises, even a long dead franchise like Iron Fist, like that. Sucks that it's no good though.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #412 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »
Also, that heroin would be a boon for harm minimization.  Chemically pure with easily controlled dosage and build up of tolerance?  Easily mass produced?  That stuff's gold from a public health standpoint

Edit:. I don't know how Buck keeps getting work.  You'd think that after ruining the last few seasons of Dexter that he'd be done.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
After thinking about it, I want Danny dead. 

K'un-L'un is defenseless without the Iron Fist, maybe even destroyed already.  He worked long and hard to gain that power and then he just wanders off with it like a negligent idiot. 

There's an entire society whose fate rests upon recovery of their stolen power. 

If K'un-L'un is to ever be safe again, Danny the Thief has to die.   

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Colony is picking up in its second season. I do like after 2 seasons we know very little about the aliens.

I recently binged all of it so far and I am deeply conflicted.

On one hand, I love it how it has the most realistic alien invasion scenario I have ever encountered. The setting is great and the plot is generally compelling.

On the other hand, the characters. Argh. They are sooooo generic. Hunk Beefsteak, the former marine (or ranger? Or both?), his ever loving Super Mommy wife whose whole existence is centered around protecting her children. And there are the extremely annoying children themselves, including the obligatory brooding and whiny teenager (why do so many shows have annoying teenagers/children in them? What demographics do they appeal to?). Plus there is the dark and mysterious former GI Joe, who has less qualms about massacring other resistance members and movements than about killing collaborators. On the other side, we have a bunch of neutral evil people in suits. Sometimes I feel that all the characters were put together by algorithms.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
Making History is gloriously dumb. 

It's so silly and weird, I can tolerate that the jokes don't always land and he plot doesn't always make sense.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
Finished Season 2 of Humans. The ending was a touch contrived. But Season 2 was a lot better than Season 1. William Hurt's character, though dead in Season 1, seems to really play no part in Season 2. I didn't notice any mention of him, even by his robot Odi.

Korean Podcast

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Finished Season 2 of Humans. The ending was a touch contrived. But Season 2 was a lot better than Season 1.

Agree with all this 100%

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #418 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:48 AM »
Westworld > Humans.

Humans was so bad it would be almost logically impossible for season 2 to be any worse
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
I liked the Swedish original but the BBC season 1 was pretty rocky. I was hoping they'd improve in season 2 and I think they did. I watched it after West World and I have to say it was still pretty okay. I'm quite fascinated by the idea (expressed in Ex Machina) that AI might regard us like we regard ants. Most of us expend much thought about killing an ant. Humans dealt with this notion somewhat.

Korean Podcast

personate-rain
personate-rain