Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 37975 times)

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »
I think the flash is a brighter and lighter show.  I like it (and the comics) because I like the relationship he has with his city.  He is loved by all in the city and he dotes on the city in return.  Even his villains are not power mad sociopaths.  They are just thieves.  I like that dynamic and i like what it does for the show.

The arrow is trying to be Batman, IMHO.  And that makes the tone a little darker.  Which is OK, but it is a totally well trod paths.  Also Id rather he be more the liberal crusader that he is in the comics. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:32:06 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown - Prince 👉

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land
Man got to tell himself he understand
― Vonnegut

Osculate my offal orifice

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
I feel like he is building towards being that but you are right. Arrow really suffers from Batmanitis.
And since when has a manequin in a glass case been a handy way to keep clothes you may need to change into at a moments notice?

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
I feel like he is building towards being that but you are right. Arrow really suffers from Batmanitis.
And since when has a manequin in a glass case been a handy way to keep clothes you may need to change into at a moments notice?

I know - good thing he's a speedster. 

Oh wait - you mean Arrow.  Heh.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:33:14 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown - Prince 👉

― Vonnegut

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »
@midnight knocked it out of the park for their 2 weeks in Colbert's time slot.  All 8 shows were near perfect.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 12:30:53 AM »

I enjoyed season 2 of Arrow, but mostly because of Manu Bennet.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
Broadchurch and Happy Valley are pretty great.

Peaky Blinders is excellent.

The Missing was really really emotional and good as well.

Someone also mentioned Les Revenants which I also thought was great.

To add to the discussion about Homeland.. Season 4 was the best season yet. Agree that it starts off extremely slow, but picks up to some of the best episodes of the series. It does end extremely flat, though. I don't see how that ending was much of a cliff hanger or set-up for next season.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »
Broadchurch and Happy Valley are pretty great.

The Missing was really really emotional and good as well.

Someone also mentioned Les Revenants which I also thought was great.

To add to the discussion about Homeland.. Season 4 was the best season yet. Agree that it starts off extremely slow, but picks up to some of the best episodes of the series. It does end extremely flat, though. I don't see how that ending was much of a cliff hanger or set-up for next season.

Les Revenants was great, the US version of it not so much. I understand they wanted a different show, but why? The original was so well done.

The new season of TWD has been good. I stopped caring about the show last season, but this season is leaps beyond where it was last year.

Just started Brooklyn Nine-Nine, now I feel I have to recommend the show. Braugher is funny as shit and he and Crews carry the show. I avoided it because of Andy Samberg, but it is great tv. A show people should be getting into.

Utopia was cancelled and won't be picked up. Do what you have to to get both seasons. The show is worthwhile just for the cinematics never mind anything else. By far the best looking show I have seen, but also interesting story with good moral dilemmas and memorable characters.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you must watch the Knick-- easily the best new tv show of 2014.

And shameless plug for the 100 if you like sci-fi

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »
Utopia was phenomenal. The visuals really are incredible. I was watching it and my wife was busy doing random things, but she looked at the TV for a few minutes and was just memorized. She watched the rest of the series with me just because the initial visuals caught her eye and were so compelling. She loved it. Season two was even better than the first.

Rectify belongs on this list as well. Another show that had a great first season, and a second season that was 10 times better. Really slow-burn, but if you're willing to wait it out there is a huge emotional pay-out.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »

Oh yeah, I was going to mention that one also.  Very good show if a bit over-the-top.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »
Utopia was phenomenal. The visuals really are incredible. I was watching it and my wife was busy doing random things, but she looked at the TV for a few minutes and was just memorized. She watched the rest of the series with me just because the initial visuals caught her eye and were so compelling. She loved it. Season two was even better than the first.

Rectify belongs on this list as well. Another show that had a great first season, and a second season that was 10 times better. Really slow-burn, but if you're willing to wait it out there is a huge emotional pay-out.

Really bugs me Rectify hasn't caught on. Such a beautiful, well crafted show.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
Can someone add another bit of information to the show besides the title, "Utopia"... so I can triangulate my search. UK series right?

I started watching Gilmore Girls on someone here's recommendation. I think Slick's.
This is great. Very like Freaks and Geeks. My favorite characters so far are the grandparents. And of course, good to see Melissa McCarthy pre-everything.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Zytheran

• Frequent Poster
    • The old Skeptics SA website
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »
Black Mirror, best TV series I have seen in decades. I can't recommend this series enough.
From the UK, it's SF which examines the impacts and ramifications of social media / whole life tracking / virtual reality / etc. Basically the new technologies.
Three episodes in Season 1, three in season 2 plus a XMas special.  Season three is going to be made.
Each episode is a stand alone story, plots are very good and get you thinking, typically with an interesting reveal / social commentary at the end. All sort of dystopian.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 08:00:38 AM »
Whats Rectify about? It reminds me of Justified which is one of my favourite shows. I assume it to be a Johnny Slicks biography.
It also reminds me of the place where I sometimes get roped into helping my uncle cut timber.

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Black Mirror, best TV series I have seen in decades. I can't recommend this series enough.
From the UK, it's SF which examines the impacts and ramifications of social media / whole life tracking / virtual reality / etc. Basically the new technologies.
Three episodes in Season 1, three in season 2 plus a XMas special.  Season three is going to be made.
Each episode is a stand alone story, plots are very good and get you thinking, typically with an interesting reveal / social commentary at the end. All sort of dystopian.

Where can I watch this in the US?
Now where I come from
-Uptown - Prince 👉

― Vonnegut

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »
You can watch black mirror on Netflix.

Utopia is the UK version. It's a sci-fi show. Not the US reality show by the same name. The U.S. reality show received "worst show of the year" acclaims from numerous critics.

Rectify is nothing like justified other than it is set in the south. It's about a guy on death row for a murder he is alleged to have commuted at 16 (17?). He is released from death row after 15 years on a bit of a technicality. It's a very real and moving drama. I only got some of the nuances about how the characters are played the second time around.