Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 41810 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
Ah. Not sure if it sounds like my cup of tea.
But I often say that and then end up binging a series years later and loving it.

Edit- Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" just played at the diner Im in and I remembered: Archer is back!!
RAMPAAAAGGE!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:25:50 AM by Harry Black »

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
goddamnit, I've been meaning to get around to that xmas special all week!
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
goddamnit, I've been meaning to get around to that xmas special all week!

Black Mirror? It was really fun. Multiple story lines.. some concepts a little too similar to ones they've explored before, but still enjoyable.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
But I often say that and then end up binging a series years later and loving it.

Edit- Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone" just played at the diner Im in and I remembered: Archer is back!!
RAMPAAAAGGE!!!

Based on what I've seen of your tastes in the various media fora (and I could be totally wrong) Rectify doesn't seem action packed enough for your tastes. It's actually 100% devoid of what one might term "action".

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »
I don't think I would classify Utopia as a sci-fi show, I think it's a thriller show.

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »

RAMPAAAAGGE!!!

Based on what I've seen of your tastes in the various media fora (and I could be totally wrong) Rectify doesn't seem action packed enough for your tastes. It's actually 100% devoid of what one might term "action".
Thats what I thought.
I do like the odd drama but they are few and far between!
Good call.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »
I don't think I would classify Utopia as a sci-fi show, I think it's a thriller show.

I guess you're right. I was mistakenly using sci-fi more literally.. In that the major plot points revolve around science.. And it's fiction.. So.. Sci-fi!

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:10 AM »

I guess you're right. I was mistakenly using sci-fi more literally.. In that the major plot points revolve around science.. And it's fiction.. So.. Sci-fi!

I think it's sci-fi, just not speculative sci-fi. It deals with a real problem, a real solution, and the moral resolutions. I really loved the show. They didn't pull punches and I could understand both sides of the argument.

Offline Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
Im listening to alot of podcasts with year end lists and most people are being asked for their top shows other than Game of Thrones. Then I heard some old episodes are being released in imax.
So, I always look forward to GoT but do people really think its THAT good? Ive found a few performances to be pretty poor (they seem to struggle at casting decent northern actors) and alot of the choreography isnt brilliant (tv shows have limited time to polish though)
I guess having read the books maybe the plot doesnt have the same impact for me? I just think there are far better shows on, despite GoT being one of the best.
Will anyone here go to theatres to watch reruns? If it works do you think we could see a trend of premieres done in imax and a boost for HBO and theatres?

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »
Im listening to alot of podcasts with year end lists and most people are being asked for their top shows other than Game of Thrones. Then I heard some old episodes are being released in imax.
So, I always look forward to GoT but do people really think its THAT good? Ive found a few performances to be pretty poor (they seem to struggle at casting decent northern actors) and alot of the choreography isnt brilliant (tv shows have limited time to polish though)
I guess having read the books maybe the plot doesnt have the same impact for me? I just think there are far better shows on, despite GoT being one of the best.
Will anyone here go to theatres to watch reruns? If it works do you think we could see a trend of premieres done in imax and a boost for HBO and theatres?

I enjoy Game of Thrones. It is are kinda flawed on many levels (
(click to show/hide)
), but it is also a well-made, high-budget fantasy series that is decently written and acted, set in an interesting world and generally much better than most other shows out there.

I wouldn't pay for it in cinemas, thought.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
I just think there are far better shows on, despite GoT being one of the best.

What are some examples?

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
I just think there are far better shows on, despite GoT being one of the best.

What are some examples?
Boardwalk Empire,
Mad Men

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
I would pay to see episodes if, say, they came out in the theaters Sunday 5 pm local time. You pay a premium to see something before everyone else. I really don't want to be in a movie theater 9 pm on a Sunday.

I love GoT. I'm currently running my GF through the whole series from season 1. We've just started season 3. The little finger revelation in season 4 makes it interesting to re-watch knowing what you know. There are a few things I missed too. Like I totally missed that the other white guy who comes to help Daenerys Targaryen (and kind of pushes out Ser Friend Zone) was Barristan Selmy (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Barristan_Selmy), the honorable guy who read the letter proclaiming Ned the regent. They tried to pension him off and he stormed out. I thought they were just two different guys. Doh.

I also watch it subscribing to a fan theory about John Snow's real father/mother:

http://mashable.com/2014/07/16/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-parents/
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »
I would pay to see episodes if, say, they came out in the theaters Sunday 5 pm local time. You pay a premium to see something before everyone else. I really don't want to be in a movie theater 9 pm on a Sunday.

I love GoT. I'm currently running my GF through the whole series from season 1. We've just started season 3. The little finger revelation in season 4 makes it interesting to re-watch knowing what you know. There are a few things I missed too. Like I totally missed that the other white guy who comes to help Daenerys Targaryen (and kind of pushes out Ser Friend Zone) was Barristan Selmy (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Barristan_Selmy), the honorable guy who read the letter proclaiming Ned the regent. They tried to pension him off and he stormed out. I thought they were just two different guys. Doh.

I also watch it subscribing to a fan theory about John Snow's real father/mother:

http://mashable.com/2014/07/16/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-parents/

What little finger revelation?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
I enjoy Game of Thrones. It is are kinda flawed on many levels (
(click to show/hide)
),

have I missed a season? I have no idea who that is.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

personate-rain