Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 46768 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #855 on: February 07, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
Santa Monica Clarita Diet: EleventySevenOutta/10

wow

I'm guessing you mean Santa Clarita Diet.

That's what I said. DON'T MISQUOTE ME YOU PRESS HARPY!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #856 on: February 11, 2017, 11:03:41 PM »
I'm conflicted here.

Sword Art Online is on Netflix. The first 13 episodes were interesting and engaging anime. The second half of the first 'season' really feels like season 2.

(click to show/hide)

I'm curious if anyone else has watched the series and what you think. I'm on S01E22, and would prefer spoilers to be hidden as such.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #857 on: February 13, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
I'm conflicted here.

Sword Art Online is on Netflix. The first 13 episodes were interesting and engaging anime. The second half of the first 'season' really feels like season 2.

(click to show/hide)

I'm curious if anyone else has watched the series and what you think. I'm on S01E22, and would prefer spoilers to be hidden as such.

I've watched every SAO and I can tell you that they are all extremely watchable. Season two is different and brings the real world issues and virtual world issue together. It gets a little silly at times and of course somewhat incestuous, but that's anime for you. You'll enjoy season two I believe.

Somewhat spoilerish I guess....
(click to show/hide)

"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #858 on: February 13, 2017, 10:25:08 PM »
I'm conflicted here.

(click to show/hide)

I've watched every SAO and I can tell you that they are all extremely watchable. Season two is different and brings the real world issues and virtual world issue together. It gets a little silly at times and of course somewhat incestuous, but that's anime for you. You'll enjoy season two I believe.

Somewhat spoilerish I guess....
(click to show/hide)

I just started season 2. I'd prefer to have an English version rather than subtitles (animation is the only form I prefer dubbed) but I'm getting in there. Thanks for the thoughts.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #859 on: March 04, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Only on Seeso, but that counts, right?

My Brother, My Brother, and Me now has a six episode TV run. The boys are horny for it and the goofs are as strong as ever. Fans of the podcast will love it, I can't speak for others but if you like just watching people be people, give it a whirl.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #860 on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:20 PM »
Golden Girls gets my vote for best pre-streaming-era classic sitcom. And now it's available to stream in its entire 7-season glory (Hulu).
I had not seen a single episode before this winter, and I'm blown away by how bold, progressive, naughty, funny, and touching they could be in 1985. It puts today's 3-cams to shame.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #861 on: March 16, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

I'm not exactly sure how to rate this, much of it was done extremely well, after binging through it in about 3 sessions it left me pretty damned depressed.
I remember the times very well, and the context of the times surrounding it--I was just finishing college when the Rodney King beating took place, and all the chatter in media and friends and family. I remember (white) people rationalizing the acquittal of the police officers, and how there was such a HUGE disconnect between how black people saw it and most white people.

The OJ Simpson case was something of a mind blower at the time because in the popular imagination, OJ was barely even registering as "black". When I first heard of the murders, I thought there was NO way OJ could have done it. He wasn't a hero of mine or anything, but he was just another one of those gentle presences on television, commercials, hosting things like "battle of the Network Stars" and of course his movies.
He seemed nice, cool and totally relatable to a suburban white-kid with some typical suburban white-kid prejudices.

I remember being in a bar with my wife (then girlfriend) when the Bronco Chase was happening--pre-empting a Knicks finals game. I recall rooting for OJ--not to run, but for him to be safe.

Then the story started to unfold about him not being so nice, about how he was an abuser and a total asshole. And the 24-hour news media phenomenon came afire like nothing since Desert Storm--only uglier.
By the time the trial came about it was insanity and you couldn't escape it.

Anyway, this miniseries mostly rehashed a lot of stuff I already knew, but definitely showed that racist cop Mark Furhman was even worse of a dickhead racist fuckbag than the media showed. The fact that he is a media pundit now makes me puke. The fact that people defend him is even worse. Most of what went wrong in both the OJ case and the Rodney King case is due entirely by the LA cop culture that Furhman embodied.
Of course OJ got a great defense, not because he is black, but because he was rich.
The prosecution was well intentioned and decent, but made two critical mistakes and no amount of evidence was going to counter the Defense team and the larger cultural mindset that made "reasonable doubt"  be what it was for that jury.

What depressed me most was I don't think the USA learned a damned fucking thing.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
The Americans -- Season 5 just started and the quality's still there.  It's an espionage slow-boiler and some really good television.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #863 on: March 16, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
The Americans -- Season 5 just started and the quality's still there.  It's an espionage slow-boiler and some really good television.

YEAH!  I pay for every episode since I don't have a dish anymore, it's about the only show I do pay extra for beyond Netflix.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #864 on: March 16, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

YEAH!  I pay for every episode since I don't have a dish anymore, it's about the only show I do pay extra for beyond Netflix.

FFS, why?

FXNow is totally a thing.  http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/full-episodes

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #865 on: March 16, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »

FFS, why?

FFS - has that always been free?  I think I looked there once before and they wanted some kind of subscription fee or proof that you were paying a cable service.

edit:  Yeah, free "preview" = 1 show, otherwise pay up it looks like.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #866 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »

FFS, why?

FFS - has that always been free?  I think I looked there once before and they wanted some kind of subscription fee or proof that you were paying a cable service.

edit:  Yeah, free "preview" = 1 show, otherwise pay up it looks like.

Oh - I thought they previewed shows for the week after it got released.  Sorry.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #867 on: March 16, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »

been watching it lately. only up to season 3. perfect timing
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #868 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Good god does this show deserve more attention. Imagine a character who is destined to solve a mystery, he doesn't know how, or why, or when, he just knows he will eventually solve the mystery because the universe forces him to. He just does the first thing that comes to his mind in every situation and he eventually solves mysteries. Now imagine a second character, the perfect assassin, a psychopath who kills whoever she feels like killing. She doesn't know who her assassin targets are, she just knows that if she ends up killing someone, they were meant to die and were her target.

An unstoppable force meets another unstoppable force, both with the full backing of destiny and the universe behind them.

The acting is pretty good, the mystery itself is pretty great, the side characters and additional forces in the story are very interesting and feel unique.

Watch it, its great.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #869 on: March 24, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »

been watching it lately. only up to season 3. perfect timing

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

personate-rain