Author Topic: Teaching Company - The Terror of History  (Read 1659 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Teaching Company - The Terror of History
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
Just finished the course on CD and an excellent course which filled in quite a bit for me.
I had a lot of bits and pieces but good to gather everything together
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:02:22 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Teaching Company - The History of Ancient Egypt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »
Hm, what an interesting idea. I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it I realize that I don't actually know anything about ancient Egyptian history. Like you said, bits and pieces with no connection. I love the TC courses, so this is definitely something I'm going to look into. Thanks for the tip! :)

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »
Hm, what an interesting idea. I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it I realize that I don't actually know anything about ancient Egyptian history. Like you said, bits and pieces with no connection. I love the TC courses, so this is definitely something I'm going to look into. Thanks for the tip! :)

I ordered it used off Amazon and had to order it four times before I got a complete set unfortunately. . . .
One sent me empty boxes - gave me refund without requiring to send them back
Second sent me only box one - Also refunded me without send them back
Third I told them before then sent them that they needed to check - they cancelled order due to a missing disk
Fourth - got all of the disks
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »
I enjoyed it enough to have listened to it twice now.
history is just so relaxing as long as you don't have a particularly grating professor speaking :)

it's where I learned about these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushabti

didn't catch their mention on The Simpsons until after I had heard of them

Lisa: Have you ever seen such exquisite ushabtis?
Homer: [not following] Eh, not this exquisite.

also enjoyed seeing that we have a couple at the local museum, as they're not exactly a rare item :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:47:47 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
There were a number of Ushabti in the Smithsonian and also got to tell several around me about why the mummified cats and ibis . . . Basically as sacrifices and they were raised in the equivalent of puppy mills.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
Is that the series created by Bob Breyer? If so, I listened to those a couple years ago. They're great fun, done by a guy who isn't quite a crank but who does hold non-canonical positions on Egyptian history that he is willing to share with you.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:54 AM »
also got to tell several around me about why the mummified cats and ibis . . . Basically as sacrifices and they were raised in the equivalent of puppy mills.

yep.
so much for their love/worship of cats, eh.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Teaching Company - The Terror of History
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:03 PM »
Just finished "The Terror of History" from the Teaching Company and really good as well
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain