Author Topic: \m/ Metal \m/  (Read 19573 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Well Established
Re: Metal
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »

Anyway,
All the post 2000 stuff is REALLY new levels of amazing.
Steve Harris recently voted best bassist in the world, which I agree with wholeheartedly.
Also writes and composes most of their stuff.

oh, i know.. im big time maiden fan.. they'd probably have to be my all time favorite.. 7th son was my first album as a 12 or 13 yr old kid.. adrian smith is the guitar player that inspired me to start playing..

finally got to see them live for the first time in 1990 (no prayer for the dying)

have seen them 3 times since, including 2012 when they went with the retro set list which i think was fantastic, for those of us too young to have seen them during the 'glory years' of the mid 80's.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »

Anyway,
All the post 2000 stuff is REALLY new levels of amazing.
Steve Harris recently voted best bassist in the world, which I agree with wholeheartedly.
Also writes and composes most of their stuff.

oh, i know.. im big time maiden fan.. they'd probably have to be my all time favorite.. 7th son was my first album as a 12 or 13 yr old kid.. adrian smith is the guitar player that inspired me to start playing..

finally got to see them live for the first time in 1990 (no prayer for the dying)

have seen them 3 times since, including 2012 when they went with the retro set list which i think was fantastic, for those of us too young to have seen them during the 'glory years' of the mid 80's.

Yeah, it's still one of my all-time life-long dream to see them live, and the 2012 tour seems like it was AMAZING (I got the Blu-Ray). I still hope they'll come back to Israel one day (not likely, since they usually play to a crowd that's bigger than the entire population of Israel more or less), but I still hope one day I'll be able to see them live abroad as well. I'm just have a huge problem with international travel.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:56 AM »
If you can't take any power-metal seriously from the get-go, why comment on which is better (and an objectively wrong comment at that)?

It was a conversational offering of an opinion, with a tinge of intended-to-be-good-natured ribbing.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:54 AM »
If you can't take any power-metal seriously from the get-go, why comment on which is better (and an objectively wrong comment at that)?

It was a conversational offering of an opinion, with a tinge of intended-to-be-good-natured ribbing.
I see, sorry for overreacting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

–Maimonides

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »
My fault entirely, dear chap.  :tiphat:

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 12:20:36 AM »
Well, I'm not a big fan of of the kind of metal ya'll have been posting, but it's a big and varied genre. My favorite band that falls under the metal umbrella is Goblin Cock, although I believe it would be categorized as "Sludge".

Goblin Cock

And here's a beauty from Tomahawk, a Mike Patton/Melvins/JesusLizards supergroup sideproject thing.

Does Ministry count? Blood Brothers? If they don't... I guess I can just listen to Mississippi Queen on repeat. :D
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »
Just for ambious  ;)

This is probably in my top 10 all time albums. 

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
Just for ambious  ;)

This is probably in my top 10 all time albums.

I saw Orphaned Land in Manchester for a special 10th anniversary of Mabool gig last year.  It was fantastic and the third time I've managed to see them live.

I was excited to hear that Anaal Nathrakh are playing Glasgow in April last night and I've already booked up the trip down the road.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Yeah, they're progressive rock.  I've just always interpreted that genre to mean, "some of our songs are metal."  Perhaps my internal genre mapping is still stuck in the 80s when Arena Rock was still a thing.

I for one hate 'genre mapping' in general, but you are correct that there is some overlap.
For me Metal is the more classic hard-core stuff, heavy metal - Iron Maiden, Metallica (which I despise but is still metal), Black Sabbath, etc.
Some might classify that as "Dad-Rock" though.

heavy metal feels pretty soft to me, but it's not quite Queen, Genesis, Phil Collins, ...things I think of as dadrock
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:17:31 AM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »
my favorite subgenre is pagan folk metal... melodies and instruments and a more tribal vocal sound I just can't hear anywhere else,
[noembed]http://youtu.be/eXqoKPrvF1s?t=4m13s[/noembed]
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
I saw Orphaned Land in Manchester for a special 10th anniversary of Mabool gig last year.  It was fantastic and the third time I've managed to see them live.
nice.
love their track "Let The Truce Be Known" (from the 2013 album)

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
I get that some people don't like the middle-ages of Maiden, but anything after 2000 is pure gold.

Greek to me. I can't take power metal seriously from the get-go. Unless you count Nevermore, which somehow just works.

love "Heart Collector", but pretty much everything else of theirs went in one ear and out the other for me.

how about Sabaton?
[noembed]http://youtu.be/0Y9ZQsAgveI?t=1m6s[/noembed]

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
I for one hate 'genre mapping' in general

I love it! I just found out there's a thing called FunkStep and Chillwave/ChillStep which allows me to avoid a great deal of dubstep I don't want to hear.

hell, it was a project of mine to map out the memespace of the varied landscape that is considered "folk metal" territory.

Offline approx.purified

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
Can't wait for live Soilwork blu-ray/CD to be released next month.  Next time they play the UK I really need to go and see them even if it means a trek down to England.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
And in some bitter sweet news:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-iron-maiden-album-is-ready-to-go-says-drummer-nicko-mcbrain/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

–Maimonides

personate-rain
personate-rain