Author Topic: Reanimated Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers!)  (Read 14935 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Reanimated Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers!)
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:16 AM »
It's aliiiiiiive....

I, for one, am so freaking excited about Aaron's appearance; I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of my favorite arc from the comics.

Aside from that, pretty boring episode. I'm pissed about Tyrese's death... really liked both the character and the actor, but he was certainly written as 'going soft.'

Freakin' Beth... your group risks everything to come save you, and then you commit suicide just to get back at somebody you don't like? Screw that.

Rick's beard finally looks like he's been roughing it...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Reanimated Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
I knew Tyreese was going to die once a new black male joined the group. The only consistent thing in the series has been that there can be no more than one prominent black male character on the cast. :D

As for Beth, that death was the single most terrible piece of writing in this otherwise writing-impaired series. Her actions made no sense whatsoever, they just wanted to kill her somehow. It would have made more sense to have a piano fall on her head on the street.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
I knew Tyreese was going to die once a new black male joined the group. The only consistent thing in the series has been that there can be no more than one prominent black male character on the cast. :D

It's comical.

As for Beth, that death was the single most terrible piece of writing in this otherwise writing-impaired series. Her actions made no sense whatsoever, they just wanted to kill her somehow. It would have made more sense to have a piano fall on her head on the street.

hah!! Seriously though, I would have MUCH rather seen a "oh crap" hand-of-fate type death (falling down stairs, getting rabies, whatever) than that bizarrely stupid death they composed for her.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
I loved it that after four and a half seasons without a hitch, they finally had to confront the issue of getting food and water in the last episode.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
I loved it that after four and a half seasons without a hitch, they finally had to confront the issue of getting food and water in the last episode.

hahahahahaha, OH MY GOD WE FINALLY RAN OUT OF FOOD AND WATER!

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »
It's aliiiiiiive....

I, for one, am so freaking excited about Aaron's appearance; I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of my favorite arc from the comics.

Aside from that, pretty boring episode. I'm pissed about Tyrese's death... really liked both the character and the actor, but he was certainly written as 'going soft.'

Freakin' Beth... your group risks everything to come save you, and then you commit suicide just to get back at somebody you don't like? Screw that.

Rick's beard finally looks like he's been roughing it...

Yeah, I didn't want Tyrese to die either. The only death, though, that really pissed me off was Hershel's. I'm pretty sure my neighbors heard me yell "fuck!"

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I didn't want Tyrese to die either. The only death, though, that really pissed me off was Hershel's. I'm pretty sure my neighbors heard me yell "fuck!"

I was annoyed with him for quite a while, but ended up liking his character's presence when Rick was going off-reservation. That reminds me: holy crap, Maggie has been through a crazy amount of emotional trauma.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:12 AM »
I know they have to take some liberties with the show, but is it pretty close to the comic book?

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
I know they have to take some liberties with the show, but is it pretty close to the comic book?

Kind of. Some story arcs/characters are transposed pretty directly, others are wildly different or made up whole-cloth. There is a very different group of people still alive at this point in the comics. I *think* I know what's going to happen next (at least big picture) and it's pretty freakin' sweet if it stays close to what's written.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:18:20 AM »
I've been pretty disappointed so far by the last 2 episodes.  Before the break, there was some great stuff at the church.  Loved the revenge massacre of the Terminus folks!

Then they took some time off and wasted an entire episode to kill off Tyreese.  With only a handful of episodes left in the season, they took what should have been a 10 minute scene and made it a full hour (well, 45 minutes sans commercials).  Don't get me started on Tyreese turning his back on the bedroom door after he saw a figure behind another door down the hall...

The last episode started off promisingly enough, but I hated the attack on the barn that played like a dream sequence (apparently it was real), only to be resolved by the storm conveniently dropping trees on all of the walkers.  Puh-lease.

I'm not caught up with the comics so don't know who Aaron is.  I hope the rest of the season picks up some steam now.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 03:31:27 AM »
Yeah, the deus ex machina tornado or whatever was pretty annoying for me, too. Really lazy writing, imo.

If Aaron is the beginning of what I think he is, it's going to be a fun ride for the rest of the season, if not more. And if this is what I think it is, holy crap, the comic so much more simply and naturally brought us here. No weird god-tornadoes or needless quasi-suicides.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:48:24 AM »
I really can't get it how can they let the writing to be so terrible. This has been my greatest beef with the show since the start. Production values are great, actors are pretty solid, photography is top-notch and the direction is solid. But the writing has been consistently shi. It has horrific pacing and relies on magic and for characters to constantly do things that are not consistent with their characterisation to move things forward. Not that anyone has a consistent characterisation.

But I don't see how the showrunners, the directors or the producers don't care enough to try to improve on this one aspect that drags the show down. It's not that finding decent writers should be THAT hard.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
^ Absolutely agreed. In a show with so much potential, that is popular enough to have whatever resources might be needed at their disposal, that they settle for such abominable writing is perplexing. Maybe the writers are friends of the producer and they just won't fire them.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:41:55 AM »
yeah.... I have to also agree. The source material is so fun, and has so much potential... they've got gobs of money, they've selected a good cast who is doing a very good job... I cannot think of an excuse for the lazy shortcuts in writing.

Offline Kosh62

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Wow, you guys are sooo missing the obvious here. The show runners probably think they are doing a great job of writing! The producers can point to the HUGE ratings the show gets and ask if the writing was really so bad why do more and more people keep tuning in every week?  They'll just consider us a small group of  snobbish malcontents with nothing better to do with our lives than nit-pick their art on the internet.

While I agree with you that the scripting is inconsistent at best on TWD, I'd bet that Kirkman and crew really think in their heart of hearts that they're doing ground=breaking work and that we're just a bunch of nerdish fanboys who can't appreciate it.