Author Topic: Episode #503  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Episode #503
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »
Top Five Sources of Lobbying Against Cannabis (in no particular order):
  • Police Unions
  • Prison Guard Unions
  • Private Prison Industry
  • Alcohol & Tobacco Industry
  • Pharmaceutical Industry
Source

Not hard to see the ascientific bases of interest.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
For a fun experience, have listen to the original incarnation of The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy - the BBC Radio play (1978), and then listen to the BBC radio Play of Foundation from 1973. It's hilarious the degree to which HHGTTG is a parody / homage to both Foundation as a source text, and the recorded version specifically.

I had no idea. I've never listened to the BBC Foundation - but I still have my original HHGTTG black tshirt from 1978 - and it still fits (for suitably unflattering values of the word 'fits').
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
I have listened to both, but not temporally near to each other, and not with an ear to look for homages.  Might give it another go...
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
As far as I can tell as a foreigner (Canadian) the supposed biases of conservatives/republicans and liberals/democrats revolve around:
- treating people as equals, but not the same
- christianity
- money - what it is, who should have it, how it's used, etc.

As an example, consider raising the minimum wage. In my (admittedly limited) experience, Lib/Dems tend to argue that the consequences will be overwhelmingly positive, while Con/Reps argue that the outcomes will be overwhelmingly negative. Both cite various studies to 'prove' their points. Of course a minimum wage that is set above the poverty line will have serious economic consequences - positive and negative, short and long term. So did the abolition of slavery, elimination of child labour, and reducing the work-week to five days and 40 or so hours.

I'm not sure that this discussion is really about science at all, and I'm not sure that conservatism is correlated or causal when it comes to attitudes toward change. As far as I can tell resistance to change is founded in avoidance of loss*, which depends on what you value. If someone sees the current state of affairs as being beneficial and a proposed future state as being less beneficial - well, they're going to be opposed to change. The same goes for conservatives, liberals, and any other breed of human.

If this loss-resistance idea is correct, we should make better progress by asking, "What loss(es) does [demographic] expect related to [science thing], from their own point of view?" That last clause is rather important, by the way. :)

___
*Resistance to change can be motivated by anticipation of losing a beneficial current state or from anticipation of a less beneficial future state. In practice these two can often be lumped together, but not always. For example, when rolling out new software in your company the LikeItNow will oppose the change because the current software is doing just what they want. The HateThatFutures will oppose the change because the new software won't do what they want. For the HateThatFutures you could turn them into supporters if you find a software package that works for them. There is not such option for the LikeItNows.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
Being the data hoarder that I am, I just bought 4 8TB drives, bringing my total to 56TB. I don't think I'm going to be running out any time soon (but then, I always think that, and I always do anyway).

So, yeah. I ran out of hard drive space.

2 years isn't too bad, I guess.
Mooohn!

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Being the data hoarder that I am, I just bought 4 8TB drives, bringing my total to 56TB. I don't think I'm going to be running out any time soon (but then, I always think that, and I always do anyway).

So, yeah. I ran out of hard drive space.

2 years isn't too bad, I guess.

That reminds me of a conversation I had right after the business I worked at adopted IBM PCs for use in the accounting dept.  It was around 1986.  We just got a new 10 MB hard drive.  I remember saying "we'll never fill up that sucker."
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw