Author Topic: Anyone up for some online RPGing?  (Read 13337 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Anyone up for some online RPGing?
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
I am feeling that "special urge" to do some roleplaying here and wanted to gauge interest. I kind of prefer erring on the "telling good/fun stories" side of things, and as such I think the FATE Core system would be better for that than some of the other rules-heavy systems. On top of that, it's a good system for learning what RPing is all about, so if you've always wanted to try, and, like, we know you, this might be a good place to start!

For the game world itself, one of the neat things about FATE is that you can basically play *anything* you want. I did a one-shot with a couple friends a while back that was essentially a 1980s action movie a la Diehard, for instance. I'm *leaning* towards the Call of Cthulhu genre (set in the 1920s-30s and horror of variety HP Lovecraft employed in his stories) but if folks want to try out a one-shot in a different genre I am all ears.

ETA: In terms of how we'll converse, there is a program already out there that can handle die rolls and the like:

http://roll20.net/

We could also use Skype if that's too bulky, although since this game *does* do die rolls (using special dice, no less!!!) I'd kind of prefer we did something that gives people the implied agency of doing their own rolling.

My schedule is probably best suited for doing something on the weekend, say, Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but we could also try out an evening instead. If you're interested, please respond to this thread and let me know when you'd be available. I will break into your house then see what I can do about accommodating peoples.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:16:26 PM by Johnny Slick »
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
Re: Anyone up for some online RPGing?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
I am interested although I am a pen&paper RPG virgin.

Offline 0grae0

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • face-palm for the win!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
*enteres from stage left*

Oh my!  What a coincidence; someone else is posting about playong rpgs.
 ;)

Thought id pop over to your thread and say im interested oim trying FATE, since you've mentioned it.  Whats your thoughts on open d6?

Oh and re availability, weekends are about the only time i *cannot* do at the moment.  That and Monday nights cause thats when we have skeptics in the pub here in glasgow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:48:16 PM by 0grae0 »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
Possible to get a thread merge?
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:02 AM »
I'm interested. Free most weekend afternoons and tues-thur eves. I'm in Toronto, currently GMT-5.

I have lots of experience with tabletop role playing, but not with those specific systems. Happy to learn them, though. I've wanted to play an online RPG for a long time. I understand Google Hangouts are used extensively for tabletop rpgs.

Edited to add tz info.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:03:03 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
I am.  Lets do this.  I hope you like odd ass characters!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
Weird characters are OK by me... I think we have something like enough people to start setting times if brilligtove, PANTS!, and teether are willing. I know Louie also expressed some interest. I need to take me some time to set up the roll20 board / acclimate myself to it / read the source material, so can we shoot for...

March 14, 3pm EST

?

Let me know if that time doesn't work out so we can change it. I'm in the Mountain time zone (at least I think I still will be in mid-March - Arizona doesn't believe in DST so at some point we "switch" to Pacific) so I'm not that far out from Torontonian time.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
Works for me.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm also curious and keen...and clueless ...but you did say this would be a good place to learn. If I can join,it makes it 6 including Louis, I think.
Will you explain what it basically entails?
Weekends would be fine for me. So 14th March is next Sat. And your 3 pm would be my 8 am (I think. Time zones confuse me.)
Approximately how long would a game last?

Offline 0grae0

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • face-palm for the win!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Dang weekends i am already in a game as a player, so i'm gonna have to duck out.  If you guys make any kind of Ghangouts or FB group to keep track of games do add me to keep me in the loop though!

I'm interested. Free most weekend afternoons and tues-thur eves. I'm in Toronto, currently GMT-5.
Edited to add tz info.

Tues-Thursday evenings sounds possible, although at GMT -5 i guess we'd be looking at 10pm-12midnightish for me and 5pm-7pmish at your end.  If thats workable for you and we can find a couple of players then we could get somthing going?

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
I'm also curious and keen...and clueless ...but you did say this would be a good place to learn. If I can join,it makes it 6 including Louis, I think.
Weekends would be fine for me. So 14th March is next Sat. And your 3 pm would be my 8 am (I think. Time zones confuse me.)
The first / one-offish session might last... 3 or 4 hours maybe? We'll be generating characters during the first part but one of the cool things about FATE is that it doesn't take that long to do that. Otherwise, you'll want to show up. I should have a code or whatever for the Roll20 site when it's time to go. I'll send out Word documents for the character sheets and the character creation template at about that time, too. Often in RPGs the GM will ask the players to come up with characters ahead of time but with FATE it's an interactive process (there are literally points where you pass your character sheets over to the person next to you, who adds their own stuff to it) so that is neither necessary nor encouraged.

Otherwise, show up ready to be in character and be creative. FATE lends itself towards a story-telling, interactive style of play. The mechanics are fairly easy to learn (I think that if anything not having assumptions as to what an RPG is supposed to be is sometimes best with a game like this) and tend towards the cinematic / literary rather than the simulationist.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
The first / one-offish session might last... 3 or 4 hours maybe? We'll be generating characters during the first part but one of the cool things about FATE is that it doesn't take that long to do that. Otherwise, you'll want to show up. I should have a code or whatever for the Roll20 site when it's time to go. I'll send out Word documents for the character sheets and the character creation template at about that time, too. Often in RPGs the GM will ask the players to come up with characters ahead of time but with FATE it's an interactive process (there are literally points where you pass your character sheets over to the person next to you, who adds their own stuff to it) so that is neither necessary nor encouraged.

Otherwise, show up ready to be in character and be creative. FATE lends itself towards a story-telling, interactive style of play. The mechanics are fairly easy to learn (I think that if anything not having assumptions as to what an RPG is supposed to be is sometimes best with a game like this) and tend towards the cinematic / literary rather than the simulationist.

Thanks for 'splainin. It sounds fantastic! I hope this all comes together.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
I might as well throw my hat into this thread as well.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 04:09:46 PM »
I'm definitely interested. Like Teeth, I'm pretty much a tabletop RPG virgin. I've maybe played 5 chaotic and badly organised sessions of V:tM back in the day. If there's any way to do this at a time that isn't 4 in the morning in Europe, that'd be great.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
I couldn't do the March 14th date, but would be potentially interested in a different time.  I am also, however, a pen & paper virgin, though not unfamiliar with GURPS/D&D 3.5 systems.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

personate-rain