Author Topic: Anyone up for some online RPGing?  (Read 13102 times)

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Anyone up for some online RPGing?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
I'm definitely interested. Like Teeth, I'm pretty much a tabletop RPG virgin. I've maybe played 5 chaotic and badly organised sessions of V:tM back in the day. If there's any way to do this at a time that isn't 4 in the morning in Europe, that'd be great.
4 in the morning PUTS SOME HAIR ON YOUR CHEST BOY

Actually, that's 9pm your time so it looks like it's juuuust possible. Although to petrolpetal, it looks like that would be 10pm for you, so make of that what you will!

As for not showing up for the first sesh, if we can make it a regular "thing", FATE is easy enough to pick up that you don't really have to worry about slowing everyone else down while you learn to play. We'd just need to set aside 15 minutes or so for you to start to create your character (other people collaborate in that, which is why you wouldn't just want to make one beforehand) (and the process is simple enough that you can finish the creation aspect while the game is starting).

The system is waaaaaaaaay less complicated than 3rd edition DnD or Pathfinder or, really, just about anything else that's out there besides story games and the Dungeon World / Apocalypse World games (which are practically story games themselves). Here's a blank character sheet, to give you an idea of the relative simplicity:

http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Fate-Core-Character-Sheet.pdf

Another thing that I like about it is that, just like old skool DnD (at least for me) it neither requires nor particularly encourages the use of miniatures and/or maps. Due to the setting (Europe in the late 30s/early 40s, exact time and place TBD) I might include a map of the area for reference's sake, but if you're searching in a rickety warehouse with heavy boxes that are about to fall down, there are game mechanics where you can just be like "I'm gonna push over those boxes" instead of moving your character next to them, making a Strength check, rolling for damage, etc.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
Are we doing this with voice/cam? I've tried a game in text once, and that was really shitty.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
Well, you don't have to have a cam set up but yeah, it's a Skype-type connection so we interact via voice and occasionally text. The alternative is typing everything, which is, trust me, a LOOOOT of work.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:31 AM »
Another thing that I like about it is that, just like old skool DnD (at least for me) it neither requires nor particularly encourages the use of miniatures and/or maps.

Really it was only 4th edition D&D that suffered from that problem. I've played both 3.x and 5e without miniatures. Like I said, I'd really like to get in on this, but unfortunately won't be able to. :(

I suffer from the DM's Curse: all the games are being run by me and I never get to be a player.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 02:12:57 AM »
You sure you're not up for some 3AM GAMING??  >:D

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline spawnstar

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »
Bit to late for me, luckily I've just  joined a d&d encounters group.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
I'm on a March Break vacation on March 14 and 21 with no reliable internet access - but I can get on board March 28.

As noted on the other thread, if you send me G+ profile info I could get a hangout thread started so we can start to coordinate.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
I've not done pen/paper RPG, but I am interested.  I can't do the 1st date, I'll be away on the vacations, but I would like to play in the future. 

I have 0 experience is the type of RPG, btw. 
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
I'm on a March Break vacation on March 14 and 21 with no reliable internet access - but I can get on board March 28.

As noted on the other thread, if you send me G+ profile info I could get a hangout thread started so we can start to coordinate.
Good idea! I've started a private Google Community and invited the people I know from this thread and chat who expressed interest. I don't know what your "real" (read: G+) name is, brilligtove or DonA, so, um... see if you can request to join here? I'm not sure if I have to expressly invite you or if it'll notify me that you requested to join.

https://plus.google.com/communities/109569402079913541669

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
I'd rather not do it through G+, I would prefer to keep all written communication through this thread.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
I'd rather not do it through G+, I would prefer to keep all written communication through this thread.

No Elven princesses for you!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
OK, that works too. I have some documentation I'll want to hand out beforehand though so I'll be setting up a DropBox or something here soon.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »

Good idea! I've started a private Google Community and invited the people I know from this thread and chat who expressed interest. I don't know what your "real" (read: G+) name is, brilligtove or DonA, so, um... see if you can request to join here? I'm not sure if I have to expressly invite you or if it'll notify me that you requested to join.

https://plus.google.com/communities/109569402079913541669

Sorry, you need an invitation to join this private community.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
Is there anywhere where I could watch a game being played by some other people? I have never played in a RPG of any sort and feel a bit nervous that even your self-declared RPG virgins have done a lot more heavy petting etc, than me, if you get my meaning

Offline spawnstar

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

personate-rain
personate-rain