Author Topic: Anyone up for some online RPGing?  (Read 12762 times)

Offline spawnstar

• Not Enough Spare Time

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Anyone up for some online RPGing?
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
Im interested and will be following how it goes, but im +11 GMT
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
Thanks, Spawnstar- that will be be a big help!

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
Is there anywhere where I could watch a game being played by some other people? I have never played in a RPG of any sort and feel a bit nervous that even your self-declared RPG virgins have done a lot more heavy petting etc, than me, if you get my meaning
spawnstar's got a good link to the basics, and I just found a podcastish recording of guys playing a Fate game (using a video game-inspired world that Evil Hat, the folks who produce the game, created). I can't find *that* but here's gameplay of some folks playing it:

At a glance, this one looks good because a. dude's teaching the mechanics, and b. it looks like a mixed, story-oriented group, which is the side I want to play the game (as opposed to being super-heavy on the mechanics, which is problematic with FATE anyway but, just to make it clear, this is NOT DnD/Pathfinder).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »
Great-thanks.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
...and here's one that goes much more into the actual mechanics of the game (on further reflection we're going to be doing quite a bit more mechanics-based stuff than that video I just posted, which in fairness looks like it's done by a very experienced GM working with a very experienced group of characters - I am neither going to ask you guys to work that hard or expect myself to be that good myself).

Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
trola,

Now that I actually have time to listen to these... that last one is *really* good. He talks about the mechanics some up front but they also dive right in to character generation around 10 minutes in. Just to prepare for this, if you aren't the kind of person who can make up a story on the fly, I'll talk really briefly about the stuff I'm going to ask you next week...

So the game world is called Achtung! Cthulhu and is set in Europe during World War II. As noted before, the Cthulhu mythos comes into play here (in real life Hitler was a bit into the occult and basically, among other things, this seeks to play with that). Don't worry too much about the Cthulhu side of things; instead, consider that your character has, at the beginning of the game, been offered a position at a secretive government organization whose aims are similar to those of the OSS or MI6. You can also hail from, really, any of the Allied countries, or, if you can come up with a good reason why you'd be an anti-Nazi German or Italian, the Axis as well.

So, the questions...

• Come up with a "high concept" for your character. This is just a quick, 4 or 5 word (at the most!) summation of what your character is. Jack Reacher, for example, would be a Former MP Who Fights Crime. Ned Stark from GoT might be Proud Noble from the North. Other examples from the players' handbook (which I don't want to distribute in a public setting like the SGU Forums because it's a watermarked PDF) include Trailblazing Aviatrix (think Amelia Earhart), Brilliant Engineer, Hollyood Yesterday, Soldier Today (think: some kind of a cross between Captain America and Ronald Reagan), Spanish Double Agent (i.e. a guy the Germans think is spying for them but who in fact is spying for MI5), and so on. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
  • Your character also gets what FATE calls a Trouble, which is an equally brief description of the character's biggest flaw. In those above examples, perhaps Jack Reacher's is Peripatetic (Wanderlust if you'd prefer) and Ned Stark may have Too Trusting For His Own Good.
  • Once we go around asking and answering these, the next step will be to, to quote the handbook, to talk about "a moment where your character is tested, deals with an especially difficult situation, or displays exceptional aptitude .... For some characters (such as commandos or resistance fighters), this may well read like the back cover of a pulp dime novel, but it could just as well be something
    cozy and down-to-earth." We'll each write something quick up - no more than 2 or 3 sentences at the most, this is not a writing contest - and then I'll help you all pick out an Aspect from this. There are a few examples we can turn to if you get stumped.
  • The next question will be about your life before the war. Again, we'll go around and write this - no more than 2 or 3 sentences - talking about a specific anecdote that talks about what you were doing before the War. Maybe you were bullied in school (or defended others from such abuse), maybe you loved someone and lost them, maybe you were a student who had troubles convincing your professor of a particular scientific theory.
  • Finally, everyone will pass their character to the left and that person will write a couple sentences about how their character interacted with yours at some time in the past. You'll then get your character sheet back and will make up an Aspect based on said story.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I am *reasonably* sure that of the people I know will be there (teeth and Louie, although if others are "all in" at this point, by all means let me know; RPGs get unwieldy after 5-6 players), nobody is familiar with FATE and perhaps onl passingly familiar with tabletop RPGs. The latter is *not* a bad thing regarding FATE; in fact, it's my experience that a lot of experienced RPGers develop habits of play that are really, really incompatible with this game (I can go into more depth if you're interested but this post is already a GIANT WALL OF TEXT).

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »
So can I be a Rural Jurist with a positive aspect of having a Wealth of Knowledge and a Trouble of Unworldliness?
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
It is possible, yes. I would include something in your high concept about what nationality you're from (face it, it's Canadian), and most importantly I'd like to know why your character was hired by this top secret organization, but YES, that would actually work. I would say that alternatively your Trouble could be "Enjoys Sex and the City" but I don't think that show was out back then.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
Letting everyone see your character sheet removes all sense of mystery. Not everyone in the party has to have met in the past do they?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Yes, at some point you're going to have a connection to, basically, two other characters - the one who is writing on your character sheet and the one you're writing on. It's part of creating the character identity that's at the root of FATE games. This is not a game like DnD where you roll and/or assign a bunch of values to your character and then kind of leave it at that. The creation process includes the whole group in part because the whole group interacts with it.

In any case, in terms of private stuff, there's not going to be a lot on your character sheet anyway at that point (actually, there's a separate "character creation" sheet that gets used for that purpose). There's really not that much in FATE that makes the finished product, actually. There's your name, there's your aspects (which get determined by the above), there's your skills, and that's more or less it. There's also a stress/consequences track that replaces hit points (sort of) and in Achtung! Cthulhu a sanity tracker, but these start out the same or nearly the same for everybody.

FATE is a much different roleplaying experience than most anything else out there that isn't a straight up story game. You may want to take a look at that second video I put up, as it gets into the mechanics, such as they are, pretty well I think. If there's a basic idea behind the game, it's that your character (or someone else in the group) can do virtually anything if you have the FATE points to do it and can craft a narrative around it. There's a complaint out there involving a blind sniper, that basically you can, with multiple invokes and a lot of creativity, make a blind character snipe someone from half a mile away if you've got the points to spend. Personally I see that as a feature and not a bug (you really, really have to have all your ducks lined up in a row to do that, that's a situation that basically the entire party has to not only be in on but willing to "break the bank" to make happen, and if a character is actually *blind* and that's an aspect the GM can just compel them to miss the shot regardless), but it does at least illustrate one thing: this is not a game for power-gamers.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »
What, specifically is the year.

Can we be involved with the occult?  Are we even aware of it?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
um.. that's a 3 hour video.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »
What, specifically is the year.

Can we be involved with the occult?  Are we even aware of it?
I'm thinking late summer 1940, so after the fall of France but during the Battle of Britain and (just) before the Blitz.

As far as the occult goes, the player's handbook has this to say:

By default, Achtung! Cthulhu assumes that you will be portraying competent soldiers, sailors, spies, or non-combatants (such as academics or occultists), who are all brought together by Section M (or their American counterpart: Majestic) to deal with the unusual and, dare we say it, arcane nature of a variety of vile Nazi machinations. This character creation method focuses on such characters, but that still leaves you with a broad list of archetypes to choose from.
So, tealdeer version: yes, you can be involved or aware but it is by no means a requirement. For instance, it would be perfectly okay to be a war hero or, as in my example above, a famous aviator. If everyone is involved in the occult, that's fine (although I'd prefer a mixed party); if nobody is, that's fine as well.

Speaking of the players' handbook, I'm going to make it available on the Communities site, as leaving it on a Dropbox makes me as skittish as others are skittish about posting there. Teether, I'll get it to you directly. The first half of the manual is pretty much nothing *but* flufff (it's a lot of history of the war, the various armies and secret services, and what happened to the countries involved during the interwar period) but the second part's got some bits that will be useful for references' sake like the skills list and stunts. If you are "in", please PM me here or message me on G+ to let me know who you are so I can let you into that group. I'll try to keep any correspondence on there to a bare minimum out of respect to the folks who would prefer not to use it at all.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 10:04:04 PM »
um.. that's a 3 hour video.
Yeah, sorry, it includes lots of gameplay. Sorry if there's any miscommunication there; I posted that not as required viewing or anything but in case people wanted to know what exactly is going on with this FATE game and how do they play it. If you're not interested in that, spawnstar's 10 minute link is fine as well.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain