Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 7147 times)

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
Better Call Saul
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
Didn't see a topic for this so I thought I'd start one!  :)

Anyone watching? How are you liking it? As a huge Breaking Bad fan and a generally happy and not overly critical TV watcher, I have to say I'm really loving it. I wasn't sure what to expect initially, but I had faith in Vince Gilligan and he hasn't let me down. I love all the little shout outs to Breaking Bad, like Tuco showing up, and all the stuff with Mike. I really want Walter White to appear at some point, but just like in the background. Like he's just standing in line behind Jimmy at the grocery store, but doesn't actually say anything. :laugh:

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »
I am enjoying it.  I am sometimes jarred by the comedic aspects of this show however.  But that is because of Breaking Bad.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
I am loving every bit of the show. I love the overlaps, and I love the differences. So many hearts and unicorns and rainbow feels.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »
Just five hours in, I already want it to go all the way up to its intersection with Breaking Bad.  Absolutely wonderful and Odenkirk is killing it. 

Also, toilet humor -- Hank's realization w/modified audio:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:39:53 PM by J. Eastgate »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
HAH
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »
I like it quite a bit.  It is already adding to my enjoyment of Breaking Bad by thinking about where Saul ended up in light of this new back-story.

Offline DoktorBob

• Banned
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:47 AM »
I am enjoying it.  I am sometimes jarred by the comedic aspects of this show however.  But that is because of Breaking Bad.

Ghow you means?

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Really enjoying it, looking forward to more Mike and Jimmy.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
I am really enjoying it so far. He is a much more likeable and sympathetic character than I expected.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
I'm listening to two podcasts about the show. The slate podcast and the official one. The slate one is pointless, but the official one is excellent. It has Vince Gillian, at least one of the actors, and a few other important people discussing really cool trivia from each episode.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
Man, BCS's Insider Podcast is so good that I realize I have made a terrible mistake.  I spent years never listening to BB's.  It's like all of the sudden, I need to download a shitload of podcasts and rewatch the entire series.  I'm not going to but you know what I mean.

Don't make my mistake.  If you really like the show, do yourself a service and check it out.  Don't be an Eastgate. :-[
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline neverbug

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Actual Mermaid
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
The podcast is definitely awesome! I feel like it adds a whole new layer to my viewing of the show. I could listen to Vince talk about TV all day, and I don't usually like southern accents  ;)

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:23:29 AM »
Enjoying it; good show.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
I finally found a thing I did not like about the show!  It was in the last episode, the "big confession" conversation, I feel like it was way too "let me spell it out in full detail how I feel and how you should feel and leave no subtext".  It was too conventional TV.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
That just depends on if you interpret, "Cooome oooon, Emmy Awards!," as subtext. 

personate-rain
personate-rain