Author Topic: Rate the Last Documentary you saw  (Read 10168 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Rate the Last Documentary you saw
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:48 PM »
The other thread didnt seem to have very many docs on it, and I think things that make a good documentary are different from things that make a good movie. So I thought that warranted a new thread.

Let me start it off

Kidnapped for Christ

7/10

A documentary about the existence of camps where rich religious parents send their children to be indoctrinated into Christ through a heavy bootcamp-like environment.

The filmmaker got a little to involved in her own documentary for my taste, I like docs that have very little commentary and let the viewer draw their own conclusions, this one had little of that. Besides that point, WOW, what a story to be told, literal kidnapping, brainwashing and hard core indoctrination with little to no regard for the kids being shipped off to these camps. I had a feeling everyone involved in these camps were more well behaved when the cameras were around, so we had a watered down version of what happens there. Still, what was captured, observed, and found out was intense.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the Last Documentary you saw
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
does The Jinx count?

started watching The Act of Killing the other day. haven't finished it yet, though.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »
does The Jinx count?

I would say so, yes

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »
I do not want many TV shows and almost exclusively watch documentaries. . . .Do Nova episodes and similar programs count?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:50 AM »
I do not want many TV shows and almost exclusively watch documentaries. . . .Do Nova episodes and similar programs count?
  I would say so,  definitely

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:59:42 AM »
History Cold Case Files: Mummified Child 8/10
Show is about a child mummy in their collection and the search for the background
learn alot of the society of England during the end of the 18th century beginning of the 19th century

The whole series is on youtube and I would recommend it
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:40 AM »
I actually do my best to avoid documentaries, but if the topic sounds interesting I am likely to fall down a wiki-hole with them for a day.
This weeks Cracked podcast discusses documentaries and covers my reservations really well which is that any piece of film recording requires editing as a totally legitimate way of making it watchable, this fact can become an excuse (and a valid excuse at that) for obscuring certain realities they claim to be showing.
The guys on the podcast seem to still be very interested in the genre but I just cant enjoy them anymore as Im sitting there with my phone trying to check claims.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
Broke (ESPN doco about how pro athletes lose all their money)

kinda interesting, but holy hell, it's produced like a 5 minute discovery channel segment, but it's 80-minutes long, so it gets pretty tiresome being just sound bite after sound bite under an incessant music bed.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
I'm an episode and a half into The Jinx and it's interesting, more or less the mirror image of Serial. Dude has to be the unluckiest man on the face of the Earth or he's a murderer, I'm not seeing any other ways around this.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »
I actually do my best to avoid documentaries, but if the topic sounds interesting I am likely to fall down a wiki-hole with them for a day.
This weeks Cracked podcast discusses documentaries and covers my reservations really well which is that any piece of film recording requires editing as a totally legitimate way of making it watchable, this fact can become an excuse (and a valid excuse at that) for obscuring certain realities they claim to be showing.
The guys on the podcast seem to still be very interested in the genre but I just cant enjoy them anymore as Im sitting there with my phone trying to check claims.

One program from PBS called "Secrets of the Dead" tends to argue the minority view but one needs to investigate the issue a bit more afterwards. One good one is the argument of ergot poisoning in Salem MA during the witch hunt. It is definitely a minority view.  I think the program on the Vikings of Greenland however is much closer to the mainstream view.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
Man on Wire

is exceptionally good. It's about Philippe Petit's illegal high rise tight rope (wire) walk between the Twin Towers. It was made in 2008 but the walk was in 1974. I can't recommend this strongly enough.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
Man on Wire

is exceptionally good. It's about Philippe Petit's illegal high rise tight rope (wire) walk between the Twin Towers. It was made in 2008 but the walk was in 1974. I can't recommend this strongly enough.

Good one, for sure. Robert Zemeckis is doing an adaptation of this titled The Walk with Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing Philippe Petit.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »
Here are some other excellent documentaries:

Project Nim (2011) - about a chimp raised as a human from birth, identically to a human baby, so see where, when, what and how the differences would manifest.

Herb and Dorothy (2008) - an 'ordinary' couple (surname Vogel) with an incredible eye for art, who became art collectors of note over their lifetime together. From ordinary means they amassed an art collection worth millions, which they ultimately donated.

Exit through the gift shop (2010) - about graffiti artist Banksy.

Camille Claudelle (2008) - a biography of CC,Rodin's mistress, who was an incredible sculptress in her own right.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
Some docs I've watched recently through Netflix

Evolution of a Criminal - Filmmaker is raised in a poor neighborhood in Huston, has a lot going for him intellectually, but decides to commit a major crime to make some money. Goes to jail. Gets out and goes to NYU's film school where he creates a documentary chronicling what happened. Well told story with some weak technical elements. Didn't go deep enough in my opinion 7/10

Tricked - Story of prostitution in the US. Similarly weak in the technical side of things, and little new or shocking information, but some really interesting characters. 7/10

Sons of Perdition - Kids from a Mormon cult escape and work on helping their families escape as well. (Hate to sound like a broken record, but I have to give this one the same rating) 7/10

Rich Hill - Tells the story of 3 kids (all white) from extremely low income families. Extremely compelling in that it really helps you understand what life is like for kids in these situations. 8/10

The House I Live In - A documentary that claims to be about the War on Drugs (not the band :P ) but is about so much more. It's about what it's like to be a minority in the US, it's about the judicial system, it's about all that stuff that pisses liberals off about this country. I watched it with my mom who has some biases and prejudices of her own without realizing it, and we paused it regularly to discuss, and I think it changed her outlook on the world. It was beautiful to watch. 9.5/10

All this Mayhem - Story of two skateboarders from australia that hit it big in the US in the 90s. Also about how big of a dick Tony Hawk is. Enjoyed it, but not totally my scene. 6.5/10

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »
The Jinx. 11/10

Oh my fucking god. This story... the first hand interview footage... his face... the jury... the families... what they were able to do...

I described this series as "walking into the ocean." It just gets deeper... and deeper.... and then it takes your breathe away. Fucking watch this.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

personate-rain