Author Topic: Rate the Last Documentary you saw  (Read 10167 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Rate the Last Documentary you saw
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
"The Last Gladiators"  8/10

Academy Award winning director Alex Gibney, director of "Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room", "Taxi to the Dark Side" and "Going Clear" made a documentary about the "goon" era of Hockey, (approx. 1970-2000 in my estimation).  It's main focus is the life and career of Montreal Candiens great Chris Nilan though lots of players, coaches and pundits from the era are interviewed. 

The documentary is a fascinating look at what happens to men who's job it is to brutalize other people when that job ends.  I found my self particularly enjoying it because this was the era of hockey that I grew up watching in Michigan.  I distinctly remember every player they speak to in the doc.  It's interesting that every problem both physical and emotional that the players have later in life seem to mirror the things you hear soldiers returning from war discussing. 
Well.  There it is.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the Last Documentary you saw
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
I think this is really interesting

One of those Frontline documentaries I have been wanting to watch for a while.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain