Author Topic: Ingress  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
Ingress
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
Does anyone here play Ingress?

Apart from going to work (because of, you know, income and stuff) it is the best reason I have come across lately to leave the house and go out into the Real World, or even just walk that extra mile when out with the dog. Plus, a surprisingly active social scene for a game that probably mostly attracts loners and odd creatures like me.

It's bad luck to be superstitious. ~ Anon ~

Forget Jesus. STARS died so that you could be here today. ~ Lawrence Krauss ~

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: Ingress
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:36:10 AM »
I find it particularly enjoyable that I have searched for ingress on this site for the first time, and that
- the most recent instance is but 2 weeks ago.
- the only instance is but 2 weeks ago.

Where do you play? I'm in Toronto, Poughkeepsie New York, and a few other places on occasion.

I'm brilligtove in the COMM too, so @brilligtove will reach me if you'd like to connect.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:57 AM »
- the only instance is but 2 weeks ago.

*since the forum collapse

We used to have a largish thread. I dont know who on here still plays, but there were a number of people playing a year or two ago.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »
I'm stalled on L10. I have 8.4 million AP of the 6 million required for L11, but I'm still chasing a gold badge. Oh well.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
I played for a short bit, but I don't really have the opportunity nor inclination to go driving all over the place for this game.  Perhaps if I had more portals around me I might be more interested.  That being said, my brother-in-law is obsessed to the point of maybe needing an intervention; there's not a time he's out where his phone isn't in his hand trying to hack portals... even while driving. 

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
I played for a short bit, but I don't really have the opportunity nor inclination to go driving all over the place for this game.  Perhaps if I had more portals around me I might be more interested.  That being said, my brother-in-law is obsessed to the point of maybe needing an intervention; there's not a time he's out where his phone isn't in his hand trying to hack portals... even while driving.

That last part is a problem. I live in Toronto (well on the edge of the city proper) and have increased the portal density out here quite a bit. I do play in the car - but not while driving. Pull over, or passenger seat. I don't want to die. Mostly I play while walking the dogs. We cover a lot more ground than I used to before the game.

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
I live in Finland, so mostly play here, and then occasionally when I go to London (every couple of months or so). Living in a fairly small town I don't have much chance to come across new portals except when traveling, and points are slow to accumulate, so I do play rather passionately when I do travel, much to my nongressing boyfriend's chagrin. I have also made day trips in to Helsinki, for not just unique portals but also the masses of points you can get in just a few hours.

I agree that the game rather can take up what seems like too much of your time (if you let it), but at least it gets you out, rather than staring at your tv with a console game or something. And since I reached level 8 it has been easier to let myself play less, as the levels and leveling up matter less now. I am a little over half way to level 10, have the badges ready for level 11, no hurry with the points, just enjoying the ride at this point.  8)

I am fascinated by the psychological effects of the ingroup-outgroup thing though, and would not have believed how easy it is to program me into feeling that one previously neutral colour is "welcoming and friendly" while another, just as neutral (or previously positive), one is somehow "hostile and aggressive".

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
I am fascinated by the psychological effects of the ingroup-outgroup thing though, and would not have believed how easy it is to program me into feeling that one previously neutral colour is "welcoming and friendly" while another, just as neutral (or previously positive), one is somehow "hostile and aggressive".

That has been fascinating to me too. I play on the Smurf team and know a bunch of Kermits. When they come by to lay waste to my farm I often say hello. Sometimes we even meet on the street and chat for a while. This makes me *not normal* in my local group.

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
I play on the Smurf team...

DIE SMURF SCUM, DIE!!!

Oops, was that me? Sorry.  :-[

;);D

I find it surprisingly difficult to warm to the people I have not met, especially the ones that keep repeatedly tearing down my home portal (even though they live in another town and are just passing through), perhaps as I take that rather too personally. Though I suspect I would possibly like them ok if we actually met. I have met other smurfs at first saturdays and the like, just not my local nemesises. 

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
Knowing about the in group effects has lead me to actively engage with 'the enemy' despite my frustration and disappointment when they blow my shit up. Most of them are nice enough. A few times I've scared the hell out of another player by walking up and saying hello. I mean, I don't look THAT scary, do I?

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
Although you'd think the distribution would be rather random, it seems it isn't, and I can more often than not tell a player's side by appearance and attitude at a cross-faction gathering. And I have only been playing a few months and very few meets. Also, the forum where I first heard about Ingress all the other contributors to the thread are Enlightened but one (the guy who started the thread), and that trend fits the type that frequent that forum more. Interesting.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
One of my bocce team members got me into it. It's such a different take on gaming and geo location. I'm not that high up but fun.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
I've been playing a lot more and it makes a huge difference where you are at. If I'm downtown DC, portals everywhere. If I'm in a remote site in NC, nothing. I both really enjoy and am a little annoyed that it can't really be played anywhere, anytime. I can't play at home or a hotel in a rural setting but changes the way I think about playing it. If I'm at the corporate office make sure I give myself extra time to walk from the metro. I love walking in urban areas so this game really just gives me an excuse to do more of that.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »
Anyone involved in the anomaly tomorrow? I'm supplying inventory, but that's all. :(

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 05:00:45 AM »
We have ours at Midsummer, on June 20th. Which is worse than having it at Christmas. Imagine a holiday that is like the social equivalent Christmas and Thanksgiving put together, but always spent as far away from civilization as possible, with just nature, booze, bonfires, and family.  Hardly anyone of the locals will be able to show up, ALL the shops and restaurants will be closed from noon on Friday until noon on Sunday.

Such fun.

personate-rain