Author Topic: Ingress  (Read 9139 times)

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: Ingress
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »
Just had my first portal neutralized, and taken over by the resistance.  :'(

I didn't think I'd be so angry, but now I'm specifically looking for a portal of his to take out.  >:D
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
I tried to get into it, but totally didnt get what to do or how.

Is there  good article or video that explains it?

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
The video in the OP didn't help, or the additional videos youtube suggests after that? Did you do the training tutorials (accessed from OPS)?

Losing portals can sometimes be tough, especially the first times, but generally you should not aim to keep them for long; they are never really owned by you, you just use them for a while to get points from resonating and linking, ad thus gain levels to get access to better stuff.
It's bad luck to be superstitious. ~ Anon ~

Forget Jesus. STARS died so that you could be here today. ~ Lawrence Krauss ~

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »
Watched the videos, captured my first portal, Enlightened

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
Excellent, go green!  :cthulhu:

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Interesting watching the demographics. Nearly everyone here now seems to be slimers, whereas last time we had a thread I think we were almost entirely smurfs.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 06:49:05 AM »
"Slimers" I have not heard before  >:(

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
"Slimers" I have not heard before  >:(

We generally call the factions Frogs and Smurfs. :)

Just had my first portal neutralized, and taken over by the resistance.  :'(

I didn't think I'd be so angry, but now I'm specifically looking for a portal of his to take out.  >:D

That's one way to play, but as Miisanthrope said, it's not a long-term-fun way to play. The game is mostly one of wanton destruction and cooperative rebuilding. The more people you get to know in your area the more fun you're likely to have (in my experience, and from watching what other players have done).

I tried to get into it, but totally didnt get what to do or how.

Is there  good article or video that explains it?

The best way to get into it is to go on Google+ and look for an Ingress group in your area. Usually they'll ask for a screenshot before they invite you to the private team channel (usually a hangout and a G+ group) but the players will be friendly and welcoming to noobs.  If you say you're just starting and want some guidance and help levelling up, you can arrange to meet at a portal and start your *real* training.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
Somehow, I missed hearing about this game when it started. A friend of mine mentioned she was looking for other players in Orlando, so I downloaded it and I'm going through the training mission now. I'm in Orlando and there are 2 portals within easy walking distance of my house. I'm green because my friend plays green also. Seems like a good way to get out and about outside. I do a lot of walking. This may help me do more.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
I don't play as much anymore.  I was pretty active for a while, now I just don't find playing as entertaining.

I'm Resistance.

Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »
I played hard for a while.  Got to level 6.75 then my interest waned.  It just seems so futile.  We just kinda trade portals, and that got boring after a while.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
The game is a lot more interesting if you are into the story (I'm not) or the socializing (I do some of that). There are a lot more ways to enjoy the game now, too - missions can be fun and badges are OK. I've been stuck at L10 for about a year now. I have almost enough AP for L12 (AP = experience points) but I'm short 1 gold badge for L11. I will hit my gold Sojourner medal tomorrow (60 days consecutive hacking), and (assuming I don't miss anything) my platinum in October.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
I enjoy glyph hacking and have a sofa portal, so most of my AP comes from glyphing when I am at home, typically between 15k and 30k per day. Other playing I do whenever a blue wave hits town and I have to clean up, or I am traveling and have some time to capture and hack uniques. I need two more golds (need a few hundred more uniques, both captures and hacks, or 35 more missions) and should get glyphing onyx next month, so after those I am set badge-wise to level 16. But taking it easy with the leveling. I did it too fast at times and was really quite stressed out.

Going to the anomaly satellite site on Saturday, but generally I don't do the team or story bits much.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
I just hit 11. I have 1.6 million AP beyond L11, but didn't have the badges. Now I need two more gold to hit 12.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
i started playing about 2 weeks ago, and I'm just about at level 5. what are the badges that are easy pickings that would help me get in a position to level up easier after Lvl 8?
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

personate-rain
personate-rain