Author Topic: J'Accuse! Interstitial: Review Revised Rules  (Read 8987 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
J'Accuse! Interstitial: Review Revised Rules
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »

J'Accuse! - How To Play
Altered after Game #3 on 2015-04-23

J'Accuse! is a game of disassociation, debate, and decisions. Also, lateral thinking, finding patterns, and trying to win. New players are welcome to join any game in progress at any time.

The current game is usually pinned in the Forum Games board. The variant being used will be part of the name of the thread.

Key Terms
  • Game: One session of play that ends with a winner, losers, or both. An entire game is played with one variant of the rules.
  • Round: A game includes many rounds. A round consists of four phases: Post, J'Accuse!, Debate, and Vote.
  • Post: In any order, players post a non sequitur: a word that has nothing to do with the words that have come before. Playing a word earns 1 point.
  • J'Accuse!: When a player sees a pattern in the words that have been posted, that player declares J'Accuse! against the last word in the pattern. Points awards and penalties depend on the result of the vote.
  • Debate: All players including the accuser and accused can debate the J'Accuse!
  • Vote: At some point in the debate players will be convinced that word is a sequitur or that it is a non sequitur, and declare this opinion.

Playing
For instructions on starting and ending a game, see those sections below.

In any order, players post a non sequitur: a word that has nothing to do with the words that have come before.
  • Playing a word earns 1 point, unless the word is ruled inadmissible.
  • Posts have to be words, so no phrases or acronyms. Proper names are allowed.
  • No player can post twice in a row, even by accident.
  • No word can be posted twice in the same game. This includes words that have been ruled inadmissible for any reason.
  • The first word in a round is called the seed word. It is either posted by the ref or the last word to be in a J'Accuse! is used.

Words posted a few minutes after a J'Accuse! are generally saved and are part of the next round of play. A word posted hours after debate or voting has begun will be redacted.

J'Accuse!
When a player sees a pattern in the words that have been posted, that player declares J'Accuse! against the last word in the pattern.

Each accusation describes a pattern the accuser has discovered, and why the pattern is significant enough to warrant a vote. Each group of players will find their own level for significance.

Patterns may be found in the words themselves or may include player. For example, imagine a player has posted stitch and valve. These don't have any obvious pattern until you remember that the player is cardiac nurse.

Use the forum Quote function when making a J'Accuse! to help other players investigate the pattern.

Debate
All players including the accuser and accused can debate the J'Accuse!

The debate is open ended, and lasts until enough votes have been cast for a decision. As good skeptics, players are encouraged to be critical of the arguments, and to even propose alternatives.

During the debate the accuser may expand their original accusation by adding more words, to fit a broader pattern. The accuser can not shift the J'Accuse! by removing words - only by adding them. For example, if the cardiac nurse had also posted monitor the accuser could add this evidence in the J'Accuse![/u][/size]

Vote
At some point players will be convinced that word is a sequitur or that it is a non sequitur, and declare this opinion.

To cast a vote, a player quotes the original J'Accuse! and adds the word sequitur or non sequitur.
  • When three players vote in either direction Voting is closed, point awards and penalties are noted, and a new round begins.
  • The accuser and accused can not vote.
  • Anyone can change their vote at any time until voting is closed. Arguments should be able to sway opinions!
  • A J'Accuse! is incomplete if no decision is reached within 24 hours of the J'Accuse. If this occurs the J'Accuse! is wiped from the record (that is, it is ignored). No points are paid or fined to the accuser or accused, but voters still gain 2 points. Removed - conflicts with Heat Death rule.

Scoring:

Sequitur
Non sequitur
Incomplete
Accuser
+10 points
-5 points
0 points
Accused
-5 points
+5 points
0 points
Voter
+2 points
+2 points
+2 points

Starting a Game
  • The players select a Ref - usually the winner or worst loser of the last game.
  • The Ref declares which Variant will be played for all the rounds in this game.
  • The Ref posts a 'seed word' to begin the first round.

Ending a Game
There are five Ending Conditions for a game. The Finish Line and Clock Block are adjusted along with other factors in each variant, to suit the nature of play in that variant.

Ending Condition| How It Works
Finish Line| A player reaches a fixed number of points - usually 50.
| A player must have at least 20 points to win,
| unless the game is Clock Blocked. (See Variants.)
Clock Block| A set number of days has been reached.
| The player with the most points wins,
| even if their total is under 20. (See Variants.)
Commanding Lead| A player has as many points as
| the next 2 players combined.
Crash and Burn| A player reaches a score of -10.
Heat Death| No words are posted in 24 hours by any player.

Heat Death can occur during voting; if players are not engaged enough to vote, the game is scrapped and a new one can be started with a different variant.

In the case of a points tie, the winner is the player who has made the most (in order)  J'Accuse!, Votes, and Posts. When the game is over the ref updates the player standings to reflect the outcomes.
  • Anyone at the Finish Line or with a Commanding Lead is declared winner. (This is usually only one player.)
  • Anyone with less than 0 points is declared loser. (Many players can lose one game.)
  • Everyone who Posted, J'Accuse!d, or Voted is declared a player.
  • The ref and the variant are noted.

Variants
Each variant addresses a different aspect of gameplay, encouraging the use of different strategies to win. Variants alter the Finish Line threshold, Clock Block timeline, post frequency limits, and list depth.

The major strategies are:
  • Farm: Earn points by posting new words.
  • Hunt: Earn points by J'Accuse! on a pattern related to the player.
  • Mine: Earn points by J'Accuse! on a pattern related to words alone.
  • Ambush: Earn points by banking J'Accuse! for use at a strategically opportune time.

Farming is low risk and requires consistent, frequent contributions. Hunting and Mining require analysis and argument, but relatively few player posts. Ambushing requires a long pool of available words in addition to the time for analysis.

In all variants the seed word for the first round is supplied by the ref. The seed word for following rounds is the last word in the last J'Accuse!

Variant 1: The Long Game
Similar to the Short Round variant, but with all the words in the current game eligible for a J'Accuse!

Better for players who check in regularly, or who are constantly on the forum. Farming is generally less effective than mining, hunting , and ambush strategies. Play is relatively fast paced, with long back-and-forth posts of new words. Expect ambushes, heated debate, and frenetic posting toward the end of the game.

All words from the beginning of the game are eligible for new J'Accuse!, including previous J'Accuse! words. This variant requires an active ref to manage the wordlist. The deep list depth usually means a relatively high bar to make a successful J'Accuse!
  • Finish Line: 50 points
  • Clock Block: 14 days
  • Post Limit: None.
  • List Depth: All words in the current game.

Variant 2: Short Round
Similar to The Long Game variant, but with only the words in the current round eligible for a J'Accuse!

Better for players who check in regularly, or who are constantly on the forum. Farming is generally effective but careful hunting and mining can also be used to win. Play is relatively fast paced, with long back-and-forth posts of new words. The intermediate list depth may mean lively debates on what should be considered a successful J'Accuse!
  • Clock Block: 14 days
  • List Depth: All words in the current round.

Variant 3: Working Memory
Identical to the Short Round variant, but with only the last three words eligible for any J'Accuse! The shallow list depth should mean a low bar on successful J'Accuse!

Better for players who check in regularly, or who are constantly on the forum. Farming is likely the most effective strategy. Play is relatively fast paced, with few J'Accuse! and long back-and-forth posts of new words.
  • Clock Block: 7 days
  • List Depth: The last 3 words played, including previous J'Accuse! words.

Variant 4: Genteel Game
Better for players who check in a few times per day. Farming, hunting, mining, and ambush strategies may all be effective.

This variant is limited to 7 days to keep a manageable word list.
  • Finish Line: None. The player with the most points wins.
  • Clock Block: 7 days
  • Post Limit: 3 per day.
  • List Depth: All words in the current round.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:22:56 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
Re: J'Accuse! Interstitial: Review Revised Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »
Way to think outside the box with the different variants! Excellent idea. All looks good to me. Great job! Are we sure about proper nouns being included though?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »
Way to think outside the box with the different variants! Excellent idea. All looks good to me. Great job! Are we sure about proper nouns being included though?

Thanks, PP. I took these ideas from the players, so credit where it's due.

I'm not sure about proper nouns at all. I do know that they represent a class of words and ideas that could be used as nonsequiturs, and we don't have the kind of adjudication mechanics that make this an important restriction in Scrabble. I don't think it would it unbalance the game if someone posted Toronto and someone else posted George, or Scrabble.

Definitely open to suggestions. That's why there's a pause before the next game. I'll happily edit the first post to reflect any additional changes.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
My first suggestion is not to use blue text on the black background. (yes some of us use the dark theme).
I think either Short Round or Genteel game are the best.

Also J'Accuse Brill Toronto and George are related as you well know there is a TTC subway stop for St George.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
My first suggestion is not to use blue text on the black background. (yes some of us use the dark theme).
I think either Short Round or Genteel game are the best.

Also J'Accuse Brill Toronto and George are related as you well know there is a TTC subway stop for St George.

I didn't even know there was a dark theme. I'll look for it and update.

And $*@(# you for that J'Accuse!

:)

___

@=a
*=h
#=k
(=n
$=t

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »
I too, am partial to trying a Short round or Genteel game next.

Shall we talk about J'accuse by PM?

pros:
anonymous
cuts down meta-gaming

cons:
more work for referee
cuts down banter, drama and grudge formation?  :)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »

pros:
anonymous
cuts down meta-gaming

cons:
more work for referee

When you say "talk about" what do you mean? If it is about rules we can do it here.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »

pros:
anonymous
cuts down meta-gaming

cons:
more work for referee

When you say "talk about" what do you mean? If it is about rules we can do it here.

Yeah, it's about modifying how the game works...
rather than announcing J'accuse in the thread for everyone to see who is bringing the case, one would send J'accuse to the mod, and the mod would throw up the official pause game and the words (leaving out who sent it), kicking off the debate phase... I admit, it sounds cumbersome. But it's the only way I can think of, besides honor system, to stop people voting based on the accuser's proximity to victory instead of the merits of the case...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »

pros:
anonymous
cuts down meta-gaming

cons:
more work for referee

Yeah, it's about modifying how the game works...
rather than announcing J'accuse in the thread for everyone to see who is bringing the case, one would send J'accuse to the mod, and the mod would throw up the official pause game and the words (leaving out who sent it), kicking off the debate phase... I admit, it sounds cumbersome. But it's the only way I can think of, besides honor system, to stop people voting based on the accuser's proximity to victory instead of the merits of the case...

Ahhh... I see what you're going for here.

Hrm.

I personally like the increased scrutiny and higher standards that go with getting closer.

I'm certainly open to a game (with another Ref) with that mechanic - but I don't normally have the time to make something like that work. That's part of the reason I have been aiming to make the game as ref-less as possible.

How do you feel about keeping this idea on the books for another variant? I can imagine more than one variant being run at the same time once we're solid about ther rules.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
OK folks. I'm going to start a new game using the Genteel Game variant at around 1PM EDT. It will end at the same time seven days later.

Please familiarize yourself with this variant. Remember, each player can have 3 posts per day. Extra posts in a day will be ignored, and are not eligible for reposting the remainder of this game.

Thanks, folks.

New players welcome!

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
Tubular 1
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
Tubular 1

Sorry, Morvis13 - wrong thread. :)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
I can not help myself, but I can't post it into the game thread.

So far I've found n>0 J'Accuse! opportunities in the current word list.

ARGH!

#DeathByAThousandSwallowedWords

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »

ARGH!

OK, now that the round is closed and I'm desperate to call a J'Accuse! on the current round, I'm going to post what I thought of before.

masticate, heel, soup, kidney, vodka

Each of these words is a foodstuff, or is the act of pummeling a foodstuff with one's teeth.

*whew*

Now that I have that off my chest, I feel less stressed about the current round.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »

ARGH!

Heel?? How does that fit in. And Vodka is a drink, not a foodstuff. You'll have to persuade me.

OK, now that the round is closed and I'm desperate to call a J'Accuse! on the current round, I'm going to post what I thought of before.

masticate, heel, soup, kidney, vodka

Each of these words is a foodstuff, or is the act of pummeling a foodstuff with one's teeth.

*whew*

Now that I have that off my chest, I feel less stressed about the current round.

personate-rain