Author Topic: J'Accuse! Interstitial: Review Revised Rules  (Read 8670 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Re: J'Accuse! Interstitial: Review Revised Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
I can not help myself, but I can't post it into the game thread.

So far I've found n>0 J'Accuse! opportunities in the current word list.

ARGH!

#DeathByAThousandSwallowedWords

OK, now that the round is closed and I'm desperate to call a J'Accuse! on the current round, I'm going to post what I thought of before.

masticate, heel, soup, kidney, vodka

Each of these words is a foodstuff, or is the act of pummeling a foodstuff with one's teeth.

*whew*

Now that I have that off my chest, I feel less stressed about the current round.

Heel?? How does that fit in. And Vodka is a drink, not a foodstuff. You'll have to persuade me.

(FTFY - text embedded in quote)

Cow Heel Soup is a real thing.

Google says food is "any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth" and that foodstuff is "a substance suitable for consumption as food."

Vodka certainly has calories in it and can be consumed to maintain life and growth.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
Mhhhm. Clever, but I'm not convinced. It would be stronger without 'masticate', I think.

I volunteer to manage the next game, so you can play. But, come to think of it I don't see why you couldn't play anyway. If a controversial issue arises, we can vote on it instead of you deciding. That should eliminate any conflict of interest.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
Masticate is the action of chewing. One does not chew soup nor vodka.
No sane being would masticate cow heel soup.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »

Soup can have chunks in it, dear. It isn't only broth. Have you never had chicken soup with actual chicken? And vodka is only chewable when included in something like gummybears or jelloshots - sure.

But the J!A is not that vodka is chewable. It is that all of these words are directly related to food.

You'd best avoid leaving your basement then, for the rest of the world is, by your accounting, insane.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Somehow they let me have a child... and keep her
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »
So wait, for newcomers... Is there a current game in progress?
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »

Soup can have chunks in it, dear. It isn't only broth. Have you never had chicken soup with actual chicken? And vodka is only chewable when included in something like gummybears or jelloshots - sure.

But the J!A is not that vodka is chewable. It is that all of these words are directly related to food.

You'd best avoid leaving your basement then, for the rest of the world is, by your accounting, insane.

When you are the crazy one everyone else seems weird.
FOOD is not one of the words and without that there is no link.

BTW Vodka is not a food. It is life.

For the record I almost said potato then stopped myself because of vodka.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »

When you are the crazy one everyone else seems weird.
FOOD is not one of the words and without that there is no link.

BTW Vodka is not a food. It is life.

For the record I almost said potato then stopped myself because of vodka.

Vodka is called water of life, just as scotch is. Still, the word food is defined as something nutritious that you eat or drink. Vodka is that, among other things.

To say that there is no link because the word food is not in the list is plain silly. That's like saying there is no connection among blue green orange and red because no one said 'color'. Your rejection of my arguments is *rejected*.

This is fun! :)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
you can't just associate any word with a word you injected into the argument.
Your argument is invalid Mr. Stawman.

The words in question are:

Now as argued already masticate is the action of chewing. You are a heel if you chew your soup. Sure there might be chewy bits in your soup but you definitely do NOT masticate vodka.

You could however make soup with kidney and vodka in it.
You can also have spherical vodka soup if you happen to let it float around your space station.

So :P

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »
you can't just associate any word with a word you injected into the argument.
Your argument is invalid Mr. Stawman.

The words in question are:

Now as argued already masticate is the action of chewing. You are a heel if you chew your soup. Sure there might be chewy bits in your soup but you definitely do NOT masticate vodka.

You could however make soup with kidney and vodka in it.
You can also have spherical vodka soup if you happen to let it float around your space station.

So :P

Dear Mr. Lion,

If you can, please muster the intellectual fortitude to look directly at the accusation and attendant claims, and perhaps respond to them instead of fabrications and misdirection from the voices in your deluded mind. To assist you in breaching your befuddlement, consider the compilation of said arguments below.

You claim that I can not 'inject' a word into the argument. Explain, then, your own J'Accuse! wherein you have added 'book' to create a relationship that is not extant. Unlike your crass tactic, the words in my J'Accuse! do in fact intersect at the concept of food. Food is what you chew, eat, and drink. The words relate to food directly.

If you are then not so craven to consider the rules of the game include the finding of patterns and relationships, you may find the courage to revise your ill considered opinion. You will do this because you know in your skeptical heart that you are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. You may claim that the pattern discovered is not clear, or that the relationships are not strong enough to warrant your voting 'sequitur'. You may not claim that the pattern does not exist, or that it is against the new rule that you made up out of your head right at that moment.

Disdainfully,

Mr. Strawman

___

P.S. That was fun to write. I hope you enjoy bombast. :)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »

Yes, but Morvis just gave DI the win.  I am sure there will be a new one soon.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »

There will be a new one soon. I'll update the last one, and then get another one started.

Please register any preferences for Variant here.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

There will be a new one soon. I'll update the last one, and then get another one started.

Please register any preferences for Variant here.

It's not QUITE done yet. One more vote is all it will take, however.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
New variant idea: Treble
This is a game about finding patterns. Two words that kinda go together do not a pattern make. Perhaps the next game should require the tying together of three words instead of just two.
And no word list reset if the J'accuse is found false!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
This is a game about finding patterns. Two words that kinda go together do not a pattern make. Perhaps the next game should require the tying together of three words instead of just two.

Both reasonable ideas.

Some points to consider on the reset:
  • The purpose of resetting the list is to keep down the number of words in play at any one time.
  • Resetting with each round regardless of the vote outcome is simpler.
  • Resetting this way means no advantage to keeping a stronger pattern secret from the accuser. If you J!A on a three word pattern and I saw a 4 or five word pattern using those words, I could vote you down and then propose my own.

These make me hesitate to alter a round to end on a successful J'Accuse! instead of ending on any J'Accuse!

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »

Both reasonable ideas.

Some points to consider on the reset:
  • The purpose of resetting the list is to keep down the number of words in play at any one time.
yeah, and I don't agree with taking that aim THIS far, especially if you were to have to go for three word pattern instead. IMO, short word lists make for lots of weak halfway-there J'accuse...
  • Resetting with each round regardless of the vote outcome is simpler.
Fair!
  • Resetting this way means no advantage to keeping a stronger pattern secret from the accuser. If you J!A on a three word pattern and I saw a 4 or five word pattern using those words, I could vote you down and then propose my own.
Yeah, and you don't want to see that again? I kinda liked it.

I understand though... shorter lists, less intrigue, more palatable to casual players.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

personate-rain