Author Topic: Death of the (paper) classified ad  (Read 193 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Death of the (paper) classified ad
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
I am a bit behind on my podcasts and just listed to episode 466
There is the study where newspapers have been dying was not due to internet
I am not convinced and want to see others examine it.

Now, even assuming the the article is correct, I wanted to address the death of the newspaper classified ad due to Craigslist.
This includes those sections in the newspaper as as dedicated papers such as one known as the Trading Post.

Jobs often now advertise on Craigslist as well as my last car I bought on Craigslist.
I am arguing that at least a part of the newspaper market was killed by the internet.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Frequent Poster
Re: Death of the (paper) classified ad
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
I have heard that the loss of classified ad revenue has severely impacted the bottom lines of at least local papers.  But it's hard to know how much of that revenue has been offset by online ad revenue, how much of that decline would have occurred without the Internet, etc.  We can discuss anecdotes all day, but if the numbers don't really show it...
I wish to propose…a doctrine…that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true.
– Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Death of the (paper) classified ad
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
I have heard that the loss of classified ad revenue has severely impacted the bottom lines of at least local papers.  But it's hard to know how much of that revenue has been offset by online ad revenue, how much of that decline would have occurred without the Internet, etc.  We can discuss anecdotes all day, but if the numbers don't really show it...

People still get jobs though online classified ads and people still buy and sell merchandise on a personal level.
Do you have a proposed alternative explanation for it?
At least with the news, I can see other potential mediums for them.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain