Author Topic: Self-Driving Cars  (Read 42912 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Self-Driving Cars
« Reply #1200 on: April 21, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
I agree, all you Luddite skeptics need to wake up to the potential of modern technology. 

Who needs driverless cars when you are flying to work?  Wake up guys, the future is passing you by, while your google car is stuck in reverse. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/aeromobil-1-million-flying-car-deliveries-begin-2020-2017-4

Nothing new here. We've had helicopters for a long time. And there have been flying cars before. Nobody wants them. Too inconvenient and you still need a pilot's license. But yes, they work. If there was a market for them you'd be able to buy one already. Nobody here says they wouldn't work.
There may actually be a market for them once we get the driverless car technology running.   The only way flying cars are practical is if they can fly themselves.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1201 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
I agree, all you Luddite skeptics need to wake up to the potential of modern technology. 

Who needs driverless cars when you are flying to work?  Wake up guys, the future is passing you by, while your google car is stuck in reverse. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/aeromobil-1-million-flying-car-deliveries-begin-2020-2017-4

Nothing new here. We've had helicopters for a long time. And there have been flying cars before. Nobody wants them. Too inconvenient and you still need a pilot's license. But yes, they work. If there was a market for them you'd be able to buy one already. Nobody here says they wouldn't work.
There may actually be a market for them once we get the driverless car technology running.   The only way flying cars are practical is if they can fly themselves.

Even if they could fly themselves, they are incredibly inefficient. The fuel costs put them out of reach of probably 95% or more of the population.

And we don't have 35,000 people a year dying from flying car accidents, so a major benefit of self-driving cars wouldn't be there.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #1202 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »
fair points

Offline phooey

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1203 on: April 21, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

Geez, what a Luddsayer!  The cars are going to be able to fly themselves, why would you need a pilots license?  Get real!

Offline phooey

« Reply #1204 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

Even if they could fly themselves, they are incredibly inefficient. The fuel costs put them out of reach of probably 95% or more of the population.

And we don't have 35,000 people a year dying from flying car accidents, so a major benefit of self-driving cars wouldn't be there.

Fuel costs?  What fuel costs?  They will be run from free solar radiation, beamed by laser from satellites outside the atmosphere.  Such skepticism.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1205 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »

Fuel costs?  What fuel costs?  They will be run from free solar radiation, beamed by laser from satellites outside the atmosphere.  Such skepticism.

So, obviously, you have chosen to forego intelligent or thoughtful contributions to the conversation.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #1206 on: April 21, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/apr/21/flying-cars-test-flight-is-a-success-says-german-company-video

Offline bimble

« Reply #1207 on: April 21, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »

So, obviously, you have chosen to forego intelligent or thoughtful contributions to the conversation.

I thought he'd done that quite a while ago...  :tiphat:

Offline phooey

« Reply #1208 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »

What, you are betting on anti-matter engines? 

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1209 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »

Yes. He quit making actual arguments and has switched to rude comments. He probably doesn't care that it just makes him look ridiculous. He couldn't convince us, so he likely doesn't care what we think about him. Sad, really, since he was relatively polite until fairly recently.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline phooey

« Reply #1210 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

Yes. He quit making actual arguments and has switched to rude comments. He probably doesn't care that it just makes him look ridiculous. He couldn't convince us, so he likely doesn't care what we think about him. Sad, really, since he was relatively polite until fairly recently.

It is sad Daniel.  Thank you for stating it so eloquently.  When people talk about flying cars and solar powered laser beams, it can be quite emotional for some.  Sometimes we all need to be reminded of the sensitivities such talk can have.  I think you said it best, sad-what other word could there be?  Believe me, I also remember (in retrospect) how gloomy I felt the first time I read someone mentioning anti-matter engines.  I think I repressed a lot of those memories, until just now, when you reminded me of the pain it can cause. 

Thank you so much for your desire to return to the simpler times.  A voice of compassion and brotherhood, crying out through the bitter fog of technology talk.  Oh how you suffer with grace and dignity.  We are all indebted. 

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #1211 on: April 23, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
Wow, that was literally a "you know you are but what am I?" post. Amazing that someone who considers themselves an adult would write that...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline phooey

« Reply #1212 on: April 23, 2017, 07:41:25 AM »
Wow, that was literally a "you know you are but what am I?" post. Amazing that someone who considers themselves an adult would write that...

Now, how do you know Daniel considers himself to be an adult? 

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1213 on: April 23, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
My guess is that Phooey is 15 years old and is terrified that by the time he is old enough to drive, he won't be allowed to because all cars will be autonomous. He's never claimed to be an adult. The fact that new technology takes time to become ubiquitous, and there will be a long lag between the first availability of autonomous cars and the disappearance of human-driven cars means that his fear is unfounded.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline phooey

« Reply #1214 on: April 23, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
My guess is that Phooey is 15 years old and is terrified that by the time he is old enough to drive, he won't be allowed to because all cars will be autonomous. He's never claimed to be an adult. The fact that new technology takes time to become ubiquitous, and there will be a long lag between the first availability of autonomous cars and the disappearance of human-driven cars means that his fear is unfounded.

"Sad, really, since he was relatively polite until fairly recently. "

So sad...

personate-rain