Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 14787 times)

Offline Volanova

• Triskaidekaphilic
Skeptoid
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
So I know that Mr. Dunning is a rather controversial character, what with his little run-in with the law. My question is, will Skeptoid make a comeback once he gets back behind the wheel of it? Or, have his actions tainted the brand of what was at one point a pretty solid short format podcast?

I was once a pretty avid listener. I found the topics to be engaging generally, and the shorter time period pretty well fit my commute time. However, since Dunning ended up in prison, I feel like the guest hosts simply haven't had the talent or persona he brought to it.

I'm torn on whether or not I'll start listening again when he starts back up. I doubt I'll be sending any more donations his way, but if the quality is good, and the information is solid, I may put it back in my rotation.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:11:31 PM »
I've continued listening and contributing to Skeptoid in Brian's absence. I haven't found that the quality has dropped substantially.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »
Meh.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Volanova

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:15:16 AM »
I've continued listening and contributing to Skeptoid in Brian's absence. I haven't found that the quality has dropped substantially.

Maybe it's just the inconsistencies inherent with having a different host all the time that get to me. The quality of information doesn't seem to have dropped off at all.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
A few of the voices have been a little offputting, but not seriously.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
I thought the recent one about SRA was pretty good
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
Never liked the show or Dunning, and I see no reason to support either of them. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »
I generally enjoy Skeptoid. It's kind of like I sometimes find PZ blog posts informative but I'm not sure I really want to hoist a beer with either PZ or Dunning.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
Dunning ended up in prison-

aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I just realized a new ep I downloaded had a guest host and I wondered if that might have been the reason... knew SGUF would have the answers (didn't see anything on the skeptoid website, naturally)
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:15:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure his prison term is close to being up, isn't it?

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:07 AM »
I have a hard time believing he will regain the numbers he had before all this started, but you never know.  People have short memories and his crime might be just unintuitive enough to allow people to be apathetic.  Besides, it's not as if most of the topics he talked about on Skeptoid were highly controversial.  They were fairly straight-forward in a way that doesn't make me all that concerned about how honest he is.  That being said, I imagine that it will hit him hardest in terms of the donations he receives.  People may be willing to continue to listen to him, but trusting him with their money is another matter when his crime was financial in nature.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »
I have been listening to skeptoid off and on since Dunning went on "holiday", and while I have found a few of the guest host were really good, the topics have been pretty boring, in my opinion.

However, Dunning has been popping up doing feedback episodes, and to my surprise, he seems to have finally started taking the criticism he has been getting for years seriously.  His tone is much less mocking and he is addressing legitimate comments and criticism rather than just the unrepresentative crazies.  Perhaps his prison experience is encouraging positive growth?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
He hasn't recorded a single episode since he went to prison.  All of those are pre recorded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#notarealskeptic

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
He hasn't recorded a single episode since he went to prison.  All of those are pre recorded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then I guess he made positive progress before he went to prison!

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
I've liked the show. And Dunning going to prison never deterred me from listening to the show, mostly because it is well produced and managed it's sources well.

I really disliked the first host. He was horrible, but I guess that wasn't just me as when he came back on more episodes, he did a much better job at it.

I really liked Dr. Atlantis as a host, but that's mostly cause I'm a fan of him and Monster Talk. He is a good orator.

I find that Dunning's voice is pretty good for the series, but hosts are fine and I treat them on a case by case bases. Whatever Dunning has done should not affect his work, especially when both are kinda not in the same field.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

personate-rain