Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 17228 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:43 AM »
Geico has some great ads. But that one does nothing for me. Where's the lizard?

It is a radio type add, so no video. The Gecko commercials are best with video

I like the one with Mrs. Lincoln asking "Honest" Abe if her dress makes her look fat. ;D I'd never buy insurance from them, but they give good commercial.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2016, 09:34:28 PM »

I like the one with Mrs. Lincoln asking "Honest" Abe if her dress makes her look fat. ;D I'd never buy insurance from them, but they give good commercial.

I don't know if they are any worse than any other. . . .I am with progressive because I had to jump through more hoops for Geico so went through Progressive.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »
I must just tune them out, I didn't realize he had ads.

He has said the ad revenue only makes up about 15% of the money he gets to produce the show,. The rest comes from the people who "donate" to get the ad free version.

They are not that intrusive and are short. Not long enough to bother skipping through.
Not like the TWiT network that likes to have 2 minute + adds. Which is ok if they weren't all US only content. I skip through them.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #258 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:19 AM »
He has said the ad revenue only makes up about 15% of the money he gets to produce the show,. The rest comes from the people who "donate" to get the ad free version.

For the record, I believe most donors were donors before the ads. They did not become donors in order to get the ad-free version. It's a subtle difference, but I guess I'm just pedantic.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

I don't know if they are any worse than any other. . . .I am with progressive because I had to jump through more hoops for Geico so went through Progressive.

To clarify: I have no opinion, good or bad, about Geico as an insurance company. It's just that I would never buy insurance based on its advertising. I have a total crush on Flo, in the Progressive ads, but I won't buy from them either. I have State Farm because my step-father recommended them when I got my first car, and they've always done right by me, no hassles. So I'm sticking with the company that's treated me well.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
To clarify: I have no opinion, good or bad, about Geico as an insurance company. It's just that I would never buy insurance based on its advertising. I have a total crush on Flo, in the Progressive ads, but I won't buy from them either. I have State Farm because my step-father recommended them when I got my first car, and they've always done right by me, no hassles. So I'm sticking with the company that's treated me well.

I can understand that argument. I don't know if I would have ever heard of Progressive if it was not for commercials however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »

I've been a Geico customer for 20+ years.  I've always had great service and good rates.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »

I've been a Geico customer for 20+ years.  I've always had great service and good rates.

Love Geico.  They've been terrific.  Really.  My wife got clobbered by an uninsured motorist a few years back and they really went above and beyond to meet all our requests.
Well.  There it is.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »

Love Geico.  They've been terrific.  Really.  My wife got clobbered by an uninsured motorist a few years back and they really went above and beyond to meet all our requests.

Glad to hear that.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2016, 01:09:20 AM »
He did a pretty good job with simple evidence for global warming. . . .
Similar to how I have argued with some libertarians in the past and half got them to agree.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #265 on: April 04, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
It's been months since there's been a complaint about Skeptoid and Brian Dunning. What gives?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #266 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
^ We're a forgiving bunch? As an ex con myself, I can't really criticize him too much for his criminal past. ;D
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #267 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
^ We're a forgiving bunch? As an ex con myself, I can't really criticize him too much for his criminal past. ;D
Not the point to me, or at least only a tiny part of it. This is a guy who has a podcast that at its core is about telling the truth who, while he was in the middle of making it, created a computer program that in essence lied to eBay about the origins of transactions. I'm relatively forgiving of criminals but I also think that Jayson Blair, for instance, doesn't get to write for a newspaper ever again.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #268 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
Not the point to me, or at least only a tiny part of it. This is a guy who has a podcast that at its core is about telling the truth who, while he was in the middle of making it, created a computer program that in essence lied to eBay about the origins of transactions. I'm relatively forgiving of criminals but I also think that Jayson Blair, for instance, doesn't get to write for a newspaper ever again.

I believe the Podcast came well after the fraudulent activity.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #269 on: April 04, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
Skeptoid has fallen pretty far on my listening priority.

Its pretty much my "'I have a 10 min drive" podcast.