Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 16913 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Yeah I no longer care enough to bash or complain about him. He is as relevant as a pigeon fart half way across the world.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
I still like the podcast--he's done a good job of finding some topics to keep things fresh, and his most recent global warming episode gave some great ammo vs. a few of the more popular anti-AGW talking points right now.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2017, 12:31:13 AM »
I stopped listening during his DDT and Scientology feuds, well before this whole case came up.  I was more turned off by his apparent inability to deal with evidence and arguments that conflicted with his views and opinions.  Also, his "corrections" episodes really, really rubbed me the wrong way for a skeptical podcast.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »
I still listen but one issue I have is that he wants money and with commercials, a large percentage of his podcast is ads. No longer give money as a result. I thought PBS and Planned Parenthood needed my donations more.

Speaking about the pay model though. . . .Most of the podcasts I listen to ask for money.  It is simply impractical to give them all money.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Speaking about the pay model though. . . .Most of the podcasts I listen to ask for money.  It is simply impractical to give them all money.

When I hear the same ad on multiple podcasts (over and over), I'm left thinking that if I did actually want this product/service, I can only use one of the tracking codes, and I don't get how it's worth it for all the actors involved to have the ads piled on the way that they are. The more ads, the less value each ad has, given a limited audience with finite discretionary expenses. But specifically for the content providers who are disrupting their own content, certainly with regards to audience members like myself, the more ads that they include, the more annoying it is and the less enjoyable it is to be part of the audience.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »

When I hear the same ad on multiple podcasts (over and over), I'm left thinking that if I did actually want this product/service, I can only use one of the tracking codes, and I don't get how it's worth it for all the actors involved to have the ads piled on the way that they are. The more ads, the less value each ad has, given a limited audience with finite discretionary expenses. But specifically for the content providers who are disrupting their own content, certainly with regards to audience members like myself, the more ads that they include, the more annoying it is and the less enjoyable it is to be part of the audience.

They can't do it for free though. . . .There also is some variety with the podcasts I listen to because I listen to some true crime, innocence projects, etc. There are bra ads on one for example. There is a new one with renting clothing which gets sent to you as well. SGU is kind of limited in what they can actually support though.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
I still listen but one issue I have is that he wants money and with commercials, a large percentage of his podcast is ads. No longer give money as a result. I thought PBS and Planned Parenthood needed my donations more.

It seems to me that a relatively small amount of his podcast is ads. I just skip through them. Some others have far more ads. Of the podcasts I listen to, only one (Oh, No, Ross & Carrie) makes their ads fun to listen to, so I don't skip through them.

I don't give to the NPR podcasts I listen to, because I figure that my contribution to my local station covers NPR in general. For independent podcasts, I give to all the ones that I feel I would be disappointed to lose if they disappeared. I give once a year. SGU is the one exception, where I subscribe and make automatic monthly payments, in order to get the ad-free version and premium content. It doesn't take me more than a couple of hours one day a year to make all my contributions.

As noted, except for Ross & Carrie, I skip the ads. The other podcasters would do well to study them and make their ads fun to listen to. Or maybe it's just Carrie's insane cheerfulness that make me want to listen to her even when she's plugging a product I have no interest in.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2017, 05:22:00 AM »
I don't support NPR podcasts specifically just PBS in general through my local station.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2017, 10:18:23 AM »
I suppose that's what I'm doing as well by supporting my local station. I support them on principle, even though I never listen to the radio anymore. Having to tune in at a certain time to catch the program I like? What an anachronism! But there are a lot of podcasts that are also radio programs, and it's an easy way to support them collectively.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain