Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 25259 times)

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »
hate his flow so much (at least, it seems really arbitrary that they threw this old verse over that beat), but the beat is sick

Hehe, yeah, I know what you mean - I only play this as background music, so I don't have to focus on MF Doom's rather mediocre showing here (RZA's doing a little bit better, I'd say), but man, is it atmospheric.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2017, 04:47:22 AM »
The 80s were a magical time.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
hate his flow so much (at least, it seems really arbitrary that they threw this old verse over that beat), but the beat is sick

Hehe, yeah, I know what you mean - I only play this as background music, so I don't have to focus on MF Doom's rather mediocre showing here (RZA's doing a little bit better, I'd say), but man, is it atmospheric.

turns out those are just borrowed verses (I do the same thing -- use famous acapellas to help me create 'beats' (otherwise my tendency is to make a sound that isn't really suitable for rappers). do love that beat though, even went to the trouble of downloading it to get it in rotation :)
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:34:05 PM by moj »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:45 AM »
Amy MacDonald's "Under the Stars" is really good
Just got it a couple of days ago.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
That solo and the story behind it popped up on one of my feeds today and made me happy:

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
I am listening to Pandora and my playlist is my own Classical Guitar and Piano station.  Normally Pandora picks out great songs for me, and classical guitar and piano ought to be easy as hell to genotype, but in this particular station about every 10th song is some weird ass haunted house sound effect kind of crap. 

For instance this one just popped up:

Helm is the dark ambient/noise project of Luke Younger, a London-based sound artist with roots in hardcore punk and industrial. His often lengthy compositions are constructed using electronic equipment and found or modified instruments, and often feature swelling drones of harsh, rusty feedback as well as more structured, rhythmic elements. Younger initially became known as one-half of Birds of Delay, his experimental duo with Steven Warwick

I think some code monkey at Pandora is trolling me.  I down-thumb them every time but it won't take the hint.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »

Nice bit of post rock. In fact, the entire album is excellent and plays kind of as one long song.
Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
I think some code monkey at Pandora is trolling me.  I down-thumb them every time but it won't take the hint.

While I am not ruling that out, I want to point out that the only effect of the down-thumb is to tell Pandora not to play that particular track on that station any more. It doesn't do feature-matching on down thumbs, only on up thumbs.

There's something in your station - a seed or an up-thumb - that is matching with these unwanted tracks. I got confused by this as well, to the point where I emailed Pandora support asking whether there was any chance that preferences for one of my stations could bleed over into another of my stations.

I have a basic listening station and I have an ambient station that I use as sleep music. I keep hearing ambient tracks come up on my general listening station. Pandora said that no, thumbs-up and thumbs-down settings are station specific and don't carry over into other stations. Turns out that in my general listening station I've up-thumbed a couple of tracks by Vangelis, and that is what is generating the ambient-style tracks on that station.

The only thing that you can really do is to continue to down-thumb the unwanted tracks when they appear, or to hunt through your station settings and see if you can find what is matching to them.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

While I am not ruling that out, I want to point out that the only effect of the down-thumb is to tell Pandora not to play that particular track on that station any more. It doesn't do feature-matching on down thumbs, only on up thumbs.

There's something in your station - a seed or an up-thumb - that is matching with these unwanted tracks. I got confused by this as well, to the point where I emailed Pandora support asking whether there was any chance that preferences for one of my stations could bleed over into another of my stations.

Thanks -  I looked at the "created station from" seeds and found one of the offending "artists".  DELETE!  Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Now, back to my beautiful music genotype:

An acclaimed work
A well-known composer
A Romantic-Era style
Tonal harmony
Minor key tonality
A slow and stately tempo
A sonata
And many other similarities identified in the Music Genome Project
Amend and resubmit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside