Author Topic: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)  (Read 11858 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
I notice from some of the test details that one group was forty mice. . . .I would like somebody who understands these sorts of studies to actually explain what it means. How much in terms of body weight, for example is it equal to 200 sodas a day? How valid is their P values? Something that cannot be answered but did they do fifty tests and this is the one that showed the values they wanted?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline PB67

• Off to a Start
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:12 PM »

The only sweetener that had a statistically significant effect was saccharin,  and the sample size of the human arm was laughable

The authors are confounding their conclusions by addressing all these noncaloric artificial sweeteners together,” says Brian Ratcliffe, a nutrition researcher at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, U.K. That's why the title of the paper, “Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota,” is misleading, he says. "I cannot believe the journal allowed that title.”

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/09/artificial-sweeteners-may-contribute-diabetes-controversial-study-finds

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »
Sugar- and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and the Risks of Incident Stroke and Dementia

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/04/20/STROKEAHA.116.016027

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline PB67

• Off to a Start
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »

Sugar- and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and the Risks of Incident Stroke and Dementia

I love how you pooh pooh epidemiology when it conflicts with your dogma, but embrace it when it suits your bias

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

I love how you pooh pooh epidemiology when it conflicts with your dogma, but embrace it when it suits your bias

Actually, I'm not embracing this. I posted it for information only.

Also, I probably need to make my position on AS clear, again.

I am not opposed to them, but I think they mask, perpetuate and facilitate a serious issue (sugar addiction).

Which is why I suggest people go thirty days with no sugar or artificial sweeteners or anything remotely sweet in their diets, then add artificial sweeteners back, if they like.

After the thirty days you won't need/want as much sweetness in your foods/drinks. All your food will taste better and your sugar habit/addition will be under control.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »

If you check this study they didn't control from obesity as a separate variable. But they did find, surprise, that the most overweight subjects tended to drink the most of the soda.

At least one recent study found a similar correlation with a similar risk between obesity and stroke/dementia.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »

If you check this study they didn't control from obesity as a separate variable. But they did find, surprise, that the most overweight subjects tended to drink the most of the soda.

At least one recent study found a similar correlation with a similar risk between obesity and stroke/dementia.

They're also reporting that as little as one drink per day correlates with CVD.

(Again, not embracing the study or its findings, but it seemed appropriate for this thread, it was also linked to and discussed in another thread).

Offline PB67

• Off to a Start
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

I am not opposed to them, but I think they mask, perpetuate and facilitate a serious issue (sugar addiction).

Which is why I suggest people go thirty days with no sugar or artificial sweeteners or anything remotely sweet in their diets, then add artificial sweeteners back, if they like.

After the thirty days you won't need/want as much sweetness in your foods/drinks. All your food will taste better and your sugar habit/addition will be under control.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
"All in your head" Bullshit.

(do you have a source for this nonsense?)

Offline PB67

• Off to a Start
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
Do you have a source for your sugar addiction nonsense?

That page seems to be missing from my DSM5

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Do you have a source for your sugar addiction nonsense?

That page seems to be missing from my DSM5

Also missing from your DSM5: The phrase "all in your head."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:06:09 PM by estockly »

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »

Also, your unscientific and unsupported chart is incorrect.

Sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup are what the addiction claims are based on. The claim is not that people are addicted to glucose or that they are addicted to fructose.

Neither high-fructose corn syrup nor sucrose are produced in the body, and neither fructose nor sucrose are produced in the amounts found in the Typical American Diet.

Otherwise, nice use of the naturalistic fallacy to make your point.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:07:12 PM by estockly »