Author Topic: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)  (Read 12438 times)

Online PB67

• Off to a Start
Re: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

Sugar- and Artificially Sweetened Beverages and the Risks of Incident Stroke and Dementia

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/04/20/STROKEAHA.116.016027

I love how you pooh pooh epidemiology when it conflicts with your dogma, but embrace it when it suits your bias

Actually, I'm not embracing this. I posted it for information only.

Also, I probably need to make my position on AS clear, again.

I am not opposed to them, but I think they mask, perpetuate and facilitate a serious issue (sugar addiction).

Which is why I suggest people go thirty days with no sugar or artificial sweeteners or anything remotely sweet in their diets, then add artificial sweeteners back, if they like.

After the thirty days you won't need/want as much sweetness in your foods/drinks. All your food will taste better and your sugar habit/addition will be under control.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Also, your unscientific and unsupported chart is incorrect.

Sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup are what the addiction claims are based on. The claim is not that people are addicted to glucose or that they are addicted to fructose.

Neither high-fructose corn syrup nor sucrose are produced in the body, and neither fructose nor sucrose are produced in the amounts found in the Typical American Diet.

Otherwise, nice use of the naturalistic fallacy to make your point.
So neither glucose or fructose are addictive,  but sucrose and HCFS are?

So somehow an acetyl bond magically makes them addictive?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Online PB67

• Off to a Start

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
So neither glucose or fructose are addictive,  but sucrose and HCFS are?

Why not?

So somehow an acetyl bond magically makes them addictive?

Are you thinking about your posts before you post?

As you know Sucrose is a molecule consisting of fructose and glucose linked via an acetal bond. But, as you also know, HFCS (55) consists of 55% fructose and 45% glucose and are not molecularly bonded.

So, no it's not the bond that makes them addictive.

(FWIW, it may be that it's just the fructose that is addictive, but nearly everywhere in the food environment where there are heavy fructose loads, there are also heavy glucose loads. But the claim is that it's the combination of the two that people are addicted to, because that's what they're exposed to. Similarly, people are addicted to cigarettes, but it's just the nicotine, not the tar or the smoke, etc.)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140?via%3Dihub

To conclude, the society as a whole should be aware of the differences between addiction in the context of substance use versus an addictive behavior. As we pointed out in this review, there is very little evidence to indicate that humans can develop a “Glucose/Sucrose/Fructose Use Disorder” as a diagnosis within the DSM-5 category Substance Use Disorders. We do, however, view both rodent and human data as consistent with the existence of addictive eating behavior.

Interesting. So, addictive behavior and addictive eating behavior doesn't rise to the level of a formal DSM5 diagnosis, but it certainly exists, it's plausible and worthy of further study. I'm perfectly comfortable referring to Sugar as addictive, even if it's only an additive behavior, as opposed to an authoritative DSM-5 diagnosis. Plus, other studies (linked to earlier) find it does meet the addiction requirements.

The new DSM-5 (APA, 2013) currently does not allow the classification of an “Overeating Disorder” or an “Addictive Eating Disorder” within the diagnostic category Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders; indeed, the current knowledge of addictive eating behaviors does not warrant such a diagnosis. However, efforts should be made to operationalize the diagnostic criteria for such a disorder and to test its reliability and validity. It needs to be determined if such a disorder can occur distinct from other mental disorders.

So the DSM-5 doesn't consider Overeating as a disorder either. But, according to the caloric balance theory, that's what's causing the obesity epidemic and is the one behavior that causes more health problems and more serious health problems than any other behavior in the US today (even worse than opiates addiction).
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
I really like water. I run it through a Brita filter to remove the taste of my tap water. I use sucralose sometimes on oatmeal or if I make decaf hot coffee chocolate: Nuke a mug of milk, add instant decaf coffee, a couple of packets of sucralose, and a squirt of Hershey's sugar-free syrup. Makes a nice dessert drink on occasion. Sometimes I add sucralose and cinnamon to unsweetened applesauce.

The best drink, though, is water, but only if you get rid of the horrid taste of most tap water.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
I think there's some significant variety in the quality and state of tap water, but maybe you have to travel quite a ways to notice it.

Had a difficult time drinking the water where I was visiting in Denmark. I think it was because of limestone, which I'm not used to. My sibling who's been living in Denmark for several years didn't have an issue with it.

The majority of the water that I drink come from straight out of the ground 60m below, unfiltered. It tastes fine, as long as it's cold. And if the water hasn't been running while the pump has been off, because that will loosen up some soil and rust, so the water has to run for a while to make it clear again.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
IIRC the tap water tasted good in Scotland. And I know that New Yorkers claim their tap water tastes good, but I've never tried it. Otherwise, all the tap water I've tasted was unpalatable. Might be the chlorine. I don't know. Growing up in L.A. it was vile.

But a Brita filter here in Spokane turns our tap water into a better drink than any soda, as long as you don't wait too long to change the cartridge.

The best water I've ever had is a tie between:

The stream that crosses the hiking trail about half-way up Ben Nevis in Scotland. The summit, at about 4,400 feet above sea level, is the highest point in the U.K.

and

The water in the region around Durrand Glacier, near Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada. When you hike there, you can drink the water from all the streams, and the tap water at the chalet comes directly from a lake above the chalet.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »
IIRC the tap water tasted good in Scotland. And I know that New Yorkers claim their tap water tastes good, but I've never tried it. Otherwise, all the tap water I've tasted was unpalatable. Might be the chlorine. I don't know. Growing up in L.A. it was vile.

But a Brita filter here in Spokane turns our tap water into a better drink than any soda, as long as you don't wait too long to change the cartridge.

The best water I've ever had is a tie between:

The stream that crosses the hiking trail about half-way up Ben Nevis in Scotland. The summit, at about 4,400 feet above sea level, is the highest point in the U.K.

and

The water in the region around Durrand Glacier, near Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada. When you hike there, you can drink the water from all the streams, and the tap water at the chalet comes directly from a lake above the chalet.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »

I find water that's been run through an activated charcoal filter like the Brita pretty flat and uninteresting.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »

I find water that's been run through an activated charcoal filter like the Brita pretty flat and uninteresting.
Vodka through a Brita filter improves greatly.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »

Vodka through a Brita filter improves greatly.

Well, it would tend to remove some of the flavor, yes, just as it does for water.  If you think your vodka is too harsh, it would mellow it.  But the minerals in spring water that a Brita filter removes are what make it palatable.  Consider how Nestle adds minerals back into their reverse-osmosis purified water.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain