Author Topic: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)  (Read 12431 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Pepsi switching aspartame to Splenda (IOW: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!)
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
I'm #blessed with indiscriminate taste buds.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »

This.  I can eat or drink almost anything.

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
I've used this graphic in other contexts, but it's relevant here too.  Pick anything you like with a subjective experience attached to it.  Books, movies, beer, cars, shirts, hamburgers: anything.

<..Bad..><..........................................Acceptable........................... ...............><..Excellent..>

Everything in <Acceptable> is, under normal circumstances, indistinguishable.  Case-by-case the <Bad> might be bigger, and the <Excellent> might be smaller, but for almost everything the <Acceptable> dwarfs both.

ETA:  Learn to embrace <Acceptable> and you will have a much happier life.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:21:55 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
I realized something was wrong at the first sip of the new bottle I grabbed from the cupboard.  I won't be drinking diet Pepsi any more.  Sucralose is just disgusting.  I guess I'll drink the real stuff and cut way back.

That's what I've been doing.  I've dropped around 20 pounds in the last year.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »

This.  I can eat or drink almost anything.

You guys suck.  Mine are apparently over-sensitive.  But then, it's not just taste.  A lot of times it's texture that I just can't stand in my mouth.  For instance, I don't know what kiwi actually tastes like, I just loathed the mix of those tiny hard seeds and the soft fruit.  And corn.  The texture of corn is atrocious.  I'll eat any number of things made out of corn, but not actual corn.

People make fun of picky eaters.  Sometimes you can't prevent it. 
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
I've used this graphic in other contexts, but it's relevant here too.  Pick anything you like with a subjective experience attached to it.  Books, movies, beer, cars, shirts, hamburgers: anything.

<..Bad..><..........................................Acceptable........................... ...............><..Excellent..>

Everything in <Acceptable> is, under normal circumstances, indistinguishable.  Case-by-case the <Bad> might be bigger, and the <Excellent> might be smaller, but for almost everything the <Acceptable> dwarfs both.

ETA:  Learn to embrace <Acceptable> and you will have a much happier life.
But what if my happiness in life is based on spurning less-than-excellent things, and mocking those who don't share my snobbery?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »
Everything in <Acceptable> is, under normal circumstances, indistinguishable.

Say what?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Everything in <Acceptable> is, under normal circumstances, indistinguishable.

Say what?
I mean that if you deliberately set out to rank the quality of a wide range of products you can manage it.  But in day-to-day life, wearing the 5th-best or 17th-best shirts in your closet of 25 shirts won't make a meaningful difference.  Wearing the 24th-best shirt might be a last ditch laundry day choice, and you might pick the best one preferentially, but for the majority of the shirts, it won't matter.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
I pretty much agree with Amy's quality index.

Also, I was until recently a diet coke addict, still kinda crave it once in a while, especially if hungover.  I've been off the sugared sodas for more than 20 years and with rare exception they all taste and more importantly feel like simple syrup.  Blech..  Also, any diet cola other than diet coke is pretty bad.  Other diet sodas are tolerable but none compare to the sweet nectar of the gods that is diet coke.

Coke was selling a splenda(sucralose) version for a while.  It tasted more like regular coke, which is to say, bad. 

These days, I mostly drink unsweetened sodas. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »
I realized something was wrong at the first sip of the new bottle I grabbed from the cupboard.  I won't be drinking diet Pepsi any more.  Sucralose is just disgusting.  I guess I'll drink the real stuff and cut way back.

Well, I may not like it as much as old diet Pepsi but it is still drinkable. If you have not tried it, you might want to try Pepsi Max. Still uses aspartame and I like it better than diet Pepsi anyway. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »

Well, I may not like it as much as old diet Pepsi but it is still drinkable. If you have not tried it, you might want to try Pepsi Max. Still uses aspartame and I like it better than diet Pepsi anyway. 

Yeah, my cardiologist would not like that.  He's been trying to get me to cut out all caffeine.

As for your scale, amysrevenge, I seriously don't get it.  If you're meaning to apply it to diet colas, must utterly and absolutely disagree.  A few are passable, most are simply undrinkable. The idea that any of them are "indistinguishable" is ludicrous.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:01:21 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 12:29:02 AM »
There is a diet caffeine free diet coke I believe?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 01:16:47 AM »

Yeah, my cardiologist would not like that.  He's been trying to get me to cut out all caffeine.

As for your scale, amysrevenge, I seriously don't get it.  If you're meaning to apply it to diet colas, must utterly and absolutely disagree.  A few are passable, most are simply undrinkable. The idea that any of them are "indistinguishable" is ludicrous.

Like I said, learn to embrace Acceptable.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 06:29:52 AM »
They should try half-sugar or something.  The flavor's nice and I like fizzy drinks, but it's just another sweet for people to be addicted to.  If it was lightly sweetened with real sugar, I'd be a weekly customer.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
How about water?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

personate-rain