Author Topic: MCU v DCTVU v DCSU - Metaverse Discussions  (Read 16725 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: MCU v DCTVU v DCSU - Metaverse Discussions
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Over the decades, a culture in comics had developed where, unless you want to tell a huge crossover story, you just kinda pretend that all those other heroes don't exist.  "Why the hell didn't Superman just spend 5 seconds taking care of this?" is a logical problem that you just sort of gloss over and pretend isn't there.  We need for the movie/TV universes to accept this culture as readily.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
brilligtove, did you make your own chrono edit, or did you find the file somewhere?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
Over the decades, a culture in comics had developed where, unless you want to tell a huge crossover story, you just kinda pretend that all those other heroes don't exist.  "Why the hell didn't Superman just spend 5 seconds taking care of this?" is a logical problem that you just sort of gloss over and pretend isn't there.  We need for the movie/TV universes to accept this culture as readily.
You CAN do that.And I tend to.  But I find that stories that address these issues in interesting ways can really be an example of restriction forcing innovation. Some handle it really well and make cool stories out of that in itself.
I find DC generally does it poorly with the whole "my city" schtick.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
brilligtove, did you make your own chrono edit, or did you find the file somewhere?

That was me. I was just going through it with my sister this morning and found a gap, too. I'll correct it this afternoon. You're welcome to scrape-and-reuse, of course.

Edit: the gap was in my reading at the time, not in the list.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:25:55 PM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »
I found a file updated through Antman from the interwebs...  ;D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
Yeah, they are starting to become more suited to tv.
I like the idea of shared universe but real life cops and soldiers live in a shared universe too and they dont interact with each other on every case.

Real life cops and soldiers have different areas of focus.  When I was in the military, it was repeatedly stressed how illegal it was for military to collect intel on US civilians.

http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline lofgren

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
I like the idea of shared universe but real life cops and soldiers live in a shared universe too and they dont interact with each other on every case.

Real life cops and soldiers have different areas of focus.  When I was in the military, it was repeatedly stressed how illegal it was for military to collect intel on US civilians.

Whereas both Batman and Ironman assert their rights to collect massive amounts of intel on everybody on the planet. Wait, sorry, I'm thinking of Google and Microsoft. And also Batman and Ironman.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »
Art something something parallel something.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »

Whereas both Batman and Ironman assert their rights to collect massive amounts of intel on everybody on the planet. Wait, sorry, I'm thinking of Google and Microsoft. And also Batman and Ironman.

Our comic heroes are terrible people.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
The way they are currently written, I agree.
Some of them are pretty good role models though.
Amadeus cho, ms marvel,captain marvel, blue beetle, booster gold (the greatest hero you've never heard of), Spiderman (mostly)....et cetera.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
For those of you who enjoy DCU animation, there is a new series of shorts called Vixen.  It is available by streaming through the CW Seed service.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Jessica Jones added to the OP. Crossover talk can happen here too.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
Jessica Jones added to the OP. Crossover talk can happen here too.

I can't wait until I get the time to watch this.  I loved Alias, and this looks awesome.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »
Is there anyone who doesn't see the upcoming DC Universe attempt as anything but a disaster?

Let me start by establishing what I mean.

I thought "Man of Steel" was horrible, and was dumbstruck to see everyone around me enjoying it.  I felt like I was watching a different movie than everyone else.

I should preface this by saying: I liked "Superman Returns".  Oh, and that "All Star Superman" became my favorite Superman story ever upon it's release.

Well.  There it is.

personate-rain