Author Topic: Gimlet Media - A new podcast production company  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Gimlet Media - A new podcast production company
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
Alex Bloomberg, a producer from This American Life and Planet Money, decided to start a for profit podcast production company, focusing on making high quality, narrative style podcasts.  When he started the company though, he had the really cool idea to make his first show about launching a start up company called (appropriately) Start Up.  He went through his whole first season of that after 14 episodes and has started season 2 as well.  I really enjoyed listening to it, and season 2 (following a new start up) is shaping up nicely too.

As part of the Start Up podcast, they documented the beginning of their second show, Reply All, which is a show all about the internet.  It sounds like it'd be pretty boring, but so far they've consistently found interesting topics to talk about that I'm usually not terribly familiar with.

Lastly (for now), they've just launched their third show, called Mystery Show.  There's only 2 episodes so far, but I really like it.  Basically, the host tackles common mysteries that people send in or she stumbles upon.  Her one rule is that it can't be anything that is solvable by searching the internet; she has to go on location to investigate.  It's a really nice change of pace from the typical podcast/radio show and so far I like.

Anyone else listening to any of these yet?

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Gimlet Media - A new podcast production company
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
Will check that out tomorrow.  Thanks for the recommendation.
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »
Will check that out tomorrow.  Thanks for the recommendation.

No prob. Hope you enjoy!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »
I'm listening to all three of these. I loved Bloomberg's work at Planet Money. The SGU turned me into a podcast addict, and I was excited to hear about Gimlet. I enjoyed StartUp's first season more than the second, but it is still very solid. I've enjoyed the Mystery Show. Starlee Kine is really fun to listen to.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
Reply All is a delight. I love they really dig back into the history of the Internet. BBS days, Jenny cam, etc.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
I listen to all 3. Start Up is one of the few podcasts I've found that continues a story line from one podcast to the next (like Serial). Season 2 was very good. I enjoy the behind-the-scenes look they give you.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »
Reply All is a delight. I love they really dig back into the history of the Internet. BBS days, Jenny cam, etc.

The episode about the Girl Guides in the Japanese concentration camps is one of my favorite half hours of podcast/radio broadcast in quite some time.  They really are great.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
I'm resurrecting this because now over a year later, it's been interesting to see what worked and what didn't, and because one of my favorites Undone is already done after only 8 episodes.

I'm also saddened by the Love everybody had for Mystery Show and it's all too short run, I feel like I remember seeing a twitter campaign to get Jessie Thorn to add it to the MaximumFun line up, and he demurred.

Listen to the 8 episodes, the final one I thought was particularly good.

https://gimletmedia.com/show/undone/all/
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »
It does seem like a pretty mixed bag. I started listening to Gimlet with extremely high expectations because of Bloomberg's work at NPR. I've been mostly disappointed. The exception is ScienceVs., which I absolutely love. Not like SGU level love, but still love.

Reply All has improved over time (or maybe it has just grown on me). The recent episode on John Brinkley is a must listen for skeptics.

I enjoyed StartUp until last season, when it followed a creepy celebrity instead of a typical start-up business. I really dislike Crimetown.

Props to Gimlet for being ambitious, and helping to propel podcasting into mainstream media.

I'll be curious to hear other forum members thoughts on Gimlet shows.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »
My commute recently got significantly shorter and thus I am forced to be more particular abouty podcast choices and unfortunately, all of Gimlet's shows have been left behind.  Reply all is their most consistently good show, and I've nabbed some episodes here and there, but I still prefer Freakinomics and Radiolab.  If Mystery Show ever came back, I'd listen to that in a heartbeat though.  Also, I have an episode of Undone and Science Vs queued up, but have yet to listen to it. 

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
I'm enjoying Undone. But, yeah, beyond Reply All, I can't quite figure out those other podcasts.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows