Author Topic: Rationally Speaking sans Massimo  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
Rationally Speaking sans Massimo
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
What do you guys think of RS now that Massimo's out of the picture? Have to say I'm struggling to remain interested.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
Re: Rationally Speaking sans Massimo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
Funny thing is I didn't expect it to bother me but I haven't listened for a few weeks and I am struggling to find the enthusiasm.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
I want to like it. And I like Julia. Maybe it's just too different to the original premise.

I think another host would help, even with the same format. Lots of other shows really benefit from two hosts (Inquiring Minds, for instance).

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
Yeah, Julia is cool but as the SGU has shown recently you need a foil, a counterpoint, some kind of variety, even if it is just vocal tone.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:10:23 AM »
Same here. I reeaally like Julia, but Massimo leaving has caused a bit of disinterest in the show for me. When he was there, the one thing I didn't like was the Rationally Speaking Picks segment. I rather they continued the conversation. Anyway, yeah; I miss Massimo.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
Same here. I reeaally like Julia, but Massimo leaving has caused a bit of disinterest in the show for me. When he was there, the one thing I didn't like was the Rationally Speaking Picks segment. I rather they continued the conversation. Anyway, yeah; I miss Massimo.

Definitely; curtailing the conversation for the picks thing always irked me. As did the (seemingly) arbitrary time limit of the show. If it's going strong, for the love of god just keep recording!

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
Massimo always spoke with such fluency and passion and with out that I'm also struggling. It's just seems like any other random interview a guest podcast now.

On the plus note Massimo has released a ebook from his salon website and its really good.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
It's not one of the podcast I listened to regularly but I did like the interplay of Julia Galef the amateur philosopher engaging with Massimo the academic. Not to say Galef was a penny pick when it came to holding up her end.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Don't know if she's coming into her own, or whether the topic was just damned interesting, but the last show was great.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
I actually prefer Julia on her own. If they could change the music too Id be a happy camper!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:36 PM »
yeah I have nothing against Julia,  I think she's great, but single hosted podcasts are not as interesting to me.  She needs a sidekick.

Offline UnicornPoop

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 06:21:35 PM »
It seems to me that it would take another character of Massimo's caliber to be an effective co-host with Julia. Her interviewees are a diverse bunch but she always asks such probing questions that really drill down deep into their subject area.

I do hope she keeps it up because I continue to enjoy the podcast, even sans Massimo.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 02:37:25 AM »
It's not bad, but it's not really the same show.  I hated the Julia-only episodes at first, but then I realied that if this were just a new podcast and not the replacement for Massimo, I would like it a lot.  So now I like it a lot.  Still wish there was an intellectually rigorous skeptical podcast out there, those.  SGU is intellectually rigorous as far as it goes... or at least as far as Steve goes... but intellectual rigour is often diluted by shenanigans on the SGU... not that that's a bad thing, it just does not fill the same niche as Rationally Speaking did before Massimo left.

Offline UnicornPoop

Rationally Speaking sans Massimo
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
I can understand that. I listen to so many podcasts that I do appreciate the entertainment value when it's thrown in. I think SGU has a nice balance and that's why they remain popular.

I'm sure Steve and Bob can wax on for hours on nanotechnology and neuroscience but...they'd lose the audience.

Julia has been doing fine and she's been asking the questions I would ask if I were the interviewer. So Massimo or no, I'll continue listening.

-UPC
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
It's not bad, but it's not really the same show.  I hated the Julia-only episodes at first, but then I realied that if this were just a new podcast and not the replacement for Massimo, I would like it a lot.  So now I like it a lot.  Still wish there was an intellectually rigorous skeptical podcast out there, those.  SGU is intellectually rigorous as far as it goes... or at least as far as Steve goes... but intellectual rigour is often diluted by shenanigans on the SGU... not that that's a bad thing, it just does not fill the same niche as Rationally Speaking did before Massimo left.

Yeah - this is the thing. I greatly admire Julia and always appreciate her contribution to the dialog; I also follow her YouTube broadcast - but I feel like Massimo has taught me more about skepticism and critical thinking than anyone in the business. Without him... I just don't know. There was a time when he would actually answer comments and questions on his FB wall and it was awesome.  I continue to wonder whether he and  :steve: are still co-writing that book they talked about last year.
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."

personate-rain
personate-rain