Author Topic: 23 and Me and Parkinson's Research  (Read 2885 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: 23 and Me and Parkinson's Research
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:29 PM »
Today I had my Visit #04 and second spinal tap. 

I think they modified the lists I memorized so that not all 12 words were there... that kind of messed me up - I'll have to practice some more.

The first lumbar puncture I had last year went pretty smoothly.  This one was more complicated - the neurologist kind of brushed a nerve or something with the needle and I got what felt like an electric shock going down my leg and fainted.  She said we could quit but I told her to try again and the second attempt was successful at extracting 18mL of cerebral spinal fluid.  She was impressed with my commitment and pain tolerance.

Neurology exam didn't find any symptoms of PD, but did reveal I have some dead reflexes in one foot.

It's embarrassing how much they thank me for going through this.

Bonus:  PPMI coffee cup and a frame-able certificate of appreciation.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:52:46 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Update:

I just signed up for the brain and tissue donation program associated with the study; so when I die, they will remove my brain. 

They made a big deal out of how I could still have an open-casket funeral if wanted and nobody would notice ... that made me chuckle.

I asked how they find out I'm dead and they said my next of kin has to tell them... I'm not sure DW will be prepared to make that phone call.

Not sure why they want skin too... but they can have it.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Galactus

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »

My wife and I just sent our spit in a few weeks ago. How long did it take you to get your DNA reports?
From any finite collection of facts one may construct an infinite number of theories, and the probability approaches zero that any one of them is true.      - Michael Flynn

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »

My wife and I just sent our spit in a few weeks ago. How long did it take you to get your DNA reports?

I think it was about a month... that was over 10 years ago though so 1) I don't really remember and 2) it's probably different now.  It looks like they offer an ancestry only test, and an ancestry plus health test.  Website says 6-8 weeks.  Back when I did it there was only one test and it was on sale for $99 and it had all the health data from before whatever it was that got them in a little trouble about that.

What was your motivation?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Galactus

• Off to a Start
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »

We are more interested in my wife's family history. Her father claims some native american ancestors, so we shall see.
From any finite collection of facts one may construct an infinite number of theories, and the probability approaches zero that any one of them is true.      - Michael Flynn

personate-rain
personate-rain