Author Topic: Warnings should be public  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Warnings should be public
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
Posts that recieved a warning should be clearly marked as such, so that others can see if that kind of post is okay or not.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Warnings should be public
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
Posts that recieved a warning should be clearly marked as such, so that others can see if that kind of post is okay or not.

I understand what you're saying, but "what's ok" is pretty clearly marked in the rules.

Keeping the warnings private probably prevents a whole bunch of drama.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
I would agree with you if people who accrue warnings accrue them for multiple different behaviors.  My suspicion is that people who accrue multiple warnings do so for repeatedly violating the same rule over and over again.  One would think that one would learn after the first warning.

#notarealskeptic

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »

I understand what you're saying, but "what's ok" is pretty clearly marked in the rules.

No it's not at all clear that those rules are applied equally to everyone. It is obvious that to me that they aren't.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
I would agree with you if people who accrue warnings accrue them for multiple different behaviors.  My suspicion is that people who accrue multiple warnings do so for repeatedly violating the same rule over and over again.  One would think that one would learn after the first warning.

My suspicion is that those of the clique go by different rules. This is obvious when moderators click "like" for pure trollposts that don't contribute anything and should be warned.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »

My suspicion is that those of the clique go by different rules. This is obvious when moderators click "like" for pure trollposts that don't contribute anything and should be warned.

Cite, please.  Show me the "trollposts" and which rules they violate.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,44930.msg9333143.html#msg9333143

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 05:16:34 PM »
Eh, okay.  I've handed out plenty of warnings and modboxes to people I actually like.

Quite.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,44930.msg9333143.html#msg9333143

Quote from: The Rules
Not actionable in isolated cases:
Comments such as "You don't know what you're talking about," or "Obviously you have a comprehension problem."
One or two phrases focused on the perceived flaws of other users.
Isolated, incidental, mild namecalling.
Isolated, mild mockery.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
You are free to make public any warnings you get.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
You know, my kids are always wanting to hear about when their siblings are punished.  Hopefully when they mature they will realize how petty that impulse is.  Maybe its tied up in their sense of how everything in the world has to be just (to their definition of just, mind you) or then "Its not fair".
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
This seems like an immature "I reported you and now I get to gloat" kind of a thing to me.

Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
This is obvious when moderators click "like" for pure trollposts that don't contribute anything and should be warned.

Does the LIKE button actually serve any purpose?  I complained about it once but now I hardly notice it.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
This is obvious when moderators click "like" for pure trollposts that don't contribute anything and should be warned.

Does the LIKE button actually serve any purpose?  I complained about it once but now I hardly notice it.

It's purpose is probably to solidify the clique.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
This seems like an immature "I reported you and now I get to gloat" kind of a thing to me.

No, it is about making moderator favoritism clear and open.

personate-rain