Author Topic: Warnings should be public  (Read 5756 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Warnings should be public
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »
Sorry, bud, you're going to have to trust that the moderators are enforcing the rules fairly. I know these guys and the thought they put into how they moderate this forum.  They agonize over what to do about cases that are obvious to me.  I wouldn't want their job for anything, and I trust them to do their job.  I know as a newbie you haven't developed that trust, but you're just going to have to get used to that.

ETA: There was a time when I was much newer to this forum that I, too, was frustrated by not seeing results of my reports and complaints, so I know how it can feel like nobody is listening.  But they are, I can assure you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:50:46 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
I've seen people be very abusive in their reports (as tech admin I see them all but don't get involved) and the mods STILL do an impartial evaluation of the complaint and often do give warnings to the poster in question.

With regards to the like button:  Seriously?  I don't even notice the thing 95% of the time.  When I do its usually because I'm looking at the IP address of the poster (which is shown in the lower left for everyone who is a tech admin).

Either way, you have NO IDEA whether or not someone was warned about anything you may have reported, nor should you.
#notarealskeptic

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »
Hasn't everyone on the forum had a warning?

I think I have had three.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
I took a vacation earlier this year.  :-[
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »

Really?  You have?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »

I think zero... despite maybe being a little out of line, not flagrant rule violations.

They'd show up in my messages, right?  Maybe I had some and they disappeared in the Forumgedden.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
Sometimes the things that get you a warning are not contained in a single post.

I MAY have had one or two...
Banned from both Hacker News and the xkcd forum.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 01:58:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've avoided getting a warning here. But I've got a lot fewer posts here than I have at The Other Place, where I've had three in 49,179 posts.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 02:05:12 AM »
I think I've gotten about a half dozen warnings I think.  I've been a member of this forum since almost the beginning (about 10 years), yet I never received any warnings at all until after "elevatorgate."  I wonder if there is a connection?

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
I think I've gotten about a half dozen warnings I think.  I've been a member of this forum since almost the beginning (about 10 years), yet I never received any warnings at all until after "elevatorgate."  I wonder if there is a connection?

"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
None here.  But then I know how to clamp down on my natural objectionable Slickiness, unlike some people I won't name.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »
None here.  But then I know how to clamp down on my natural objectionable Slickiness, unlike some people I won't name.
/me gets a warning for this post

:(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »

What's a warning and how do I get one? I feel left out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
Umm.... Let me assure you that I've had multiple warnings over the years.  And I'm very good friends with the moderators.

If you make warnings public they become further fuel for further conflict.  I can relate to wanting to know, but to this day, despite being close friends with the mods, they've never told me about any of the goings on of their secret cabal meetings :(  And while I want to know I think it's good policy to keep it between themselves.  Even when I was helping to track down the infamous sock puppet whose name shall not be spoken but is Awesome220 I had very little sense of their internal deliberations, I just gave them information I found.

I think you're upset because you're getting a lot of pushback in this community in regards to your behaviour, Quetzalcoatl.  It's not just the warnings, it's also that lots of people who aren't mods have been critical of how you conduct yourself.  Your response to this has been to refuse to accept any responsibility and heap it all on everyone else.  Which understandably only makes things worse.  The problem is with you and as long as you refuse to even consider that, nothing will change.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »

I haven't.  Aside from that, I don't see the problem with flagging the post that generated the warning.  That doesn't need to indicate who complained but it would indicate what rule and been violated. 

personate-rain