Author Topic: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories  (Read 10391 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Not The Onion: Insane true news-stories
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
I thought this was the Onion, at first:

Reported behavior of eating anything at anytime and risk of colorectal cancer in women

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3193565/

(Cross-posting from one of the diet threads)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
The Bible says Goliath's armor weighed somewhere between 150 and 200 pounds (probably an exaggeration by a factor of two or so).

The Bible says a lot of things.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »

Reported behavior of eating anything at anytime and risk of colorectal cancer in women

It's not actually as stupid as it sounds.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
Walmart taking heat for "Israeli Soldier" Halloween costume.

For the record, that costume is actually not bad. Only paratroopers wear their belts over their shirts, and their barrets are indeed red.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »

It's not actually as stupid as it sounds.

Agreed
the top 5 foods that positively predicted the behavior of eating anything at anytime were french fries, chocolate, butter, white bread, and regular soda

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »
I love chocolate, and I eat too much of it. But I definitely do not eat "anything at any time." There are lots of common, popular foods I refuse to eat, and I only eat at mealtimes, generally two meals a day, sometimes three, never more than three except when hiking, when I'll take two half-lunch breaks during an all-day (six hours or more) hike. Sometimes not even then. I've done 8-hour hikes on a single lunch break when it was necessary to keep going in order to reach a specific destination in the time available. But I do eat chocolate.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Anders

• Deleted

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
The Bible says Goliath's armor weighed somewhere between 150 and 200 pounds (probably an exaggeration by a factor of two or so).

The ancient Jews were on the English system?
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »
Oh, yes. That's why one inch in the Great Pyramid is one year.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »

The ancient Jews were on the English system?

1 Samuel 17 gives the weight of Goliath's chain-mail coat in shekels. It also says that he wore a helmet and leg armor, though it does not give the weight of those. The weight of a shekel ranged from 9 to 17 grams, according to Wikipedia. I did not dig deeply enough to learn if scholars have a more accurate value for the exact time frame in question. So, you can do the math for the coat and then guesstimate for the hat and pants.

I agree with Anders, that the value sounds like an exaggeration. The Bible is not generally all that accurate. Personally, I don't believe that Goliath was really six cubits and a span tall. (Ten feet, give or take.) Or that David actually slew him twice as the Bible says (once with a rock to the forehead, and a second time by chopping his head off) For that matter, I doubt the event actually happened. More likely it was a story David told his grandkids when he was a doddering old man.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
There's not anything all that unbelievable about a slinger killing a dude, even in armor.  Slings were used well into the Roman era.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »
It's the story as a whole I doubt. It's pretty far-fetched. The ten-foot-tall giant with 150 to 200 pounds of armor, the shepherd boy who kills bears and lions with his hands, grabbing them "by their beard." Given the general unreliability of the Bible I give a very low prior probability to any of its stories being accurate, and the details of this one are pretty far-fetched. The kid who grabs bears and lions by their beard (do bears and lions even have beards? My cat didn't have a beard) and kills them is enough for me to call booooooooogus!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:47 PM »
It's the story as a whole I doubt. It's pretty far-fetched. The ten-foot-tall giant with 150 to 200 pounds of armor, the shepherd boy who kills bears and lions with his hands, grabbing them "by their beard." Given the general unreliability of the Bible I give a very low prior probability to any of its stories being accurate, and the details of this one are pretty far-fetched. The kid who grabs bears and lions by their beard (do bears and lions even have beards? My cat didn't have a beard) and kills them is enough for me to call booooooooogus!

Have you seen David's statue, that guy was huge, he could do it