Author Topic: Other internet communities  (Read 826 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Other internet communities
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
Are you involved in any other internet communities or fora? Outside of here, facebook, or twitter.  Would you recommend them to others?  What's good and or bad about them?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Other internet communities
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
Well, as many know I'm a major poster on ISF. And yes, ISF has its critics. Personally, I love it.

I'm also a moderator at the Australasian Skeptics Forum, and we'd love to have more Australasians there, as it's pretty quiet and dull right now. The forum is focused on issues that affect Australia and New Zealand, but we welcome posters from all over the world. We've actually got a pair of antivaxxers resident if you like that sort of thing. And quarky, who is... unique.

Apart from that, Facebook. But I'm pretty picky about who I put on my friends list.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »
Westeros.org
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
cycling forum, money forum, sleep apnea forum, local neighborhood forum... I think that's it.

ETA - oh yeah... greyhound adoption forum
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:00:41 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
I'm also on a music forum.  It's full of hippies.  My participation there dates back to the days when I was a big fan of the band Phish.  So yeah, hippies.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
I'm semi-active on ootpdevelopments.com/board, which is a forum dedicated to a micromanagement-intensive baseball simulation (kind of like Football Manager, only for baseball, and because it's for baseball it's a bit more stat-heavy and pays a bit more attention to the history of the game than FM). Lately I've been mostly posting in their hidden politics forum because I know a few of the people there and a couple others are batshit insane, but I also post quite a bit on the regular boards themselves when I get the inkling to because I know my way around the... man, I hesitate to even call it a game, even though you can definitely play it like a game. It's more like a tool to simulate fake baseball seasons for fun and profit.

Otherwise, does reddit count? Because that's the main other place, I guess. Oh, and a third small bulletin board that is mostly dedicated to one OOTP league, which has a person on it who I think I ran out of the SGUF because I post here too much and am annoying.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
I am most active on a site called Unexplained Mysteries, a fringe forum but with a healthy number of knowledgeable skeptics and the true crazies are less common than at sites like Above Top Secret.
 Otherwise I am a member of ISF and Rational Skepticism. The later spun off of the Richard Dawkins forum when it closed.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman