Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 5624 times)

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Fallout 4
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »

I pre-purchased the first day I could, and it has been a greyed out line in my Steam Library every since.

Preloading now (24GB O_O).....and of course I am absolutely BURIED at work this week, and have to go out of town next week, then holidays.  But at least I'll have all of Thanksgiving week off

Being a responsible adult sucks when a new video game comes out :(

Online wastrel

Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
It’s weird I’ve kind of transferred from playing games on my laptop to mostly playing in my ipad. That said I’ve loved the fallouts and know I’ll get it at some point, just not sure when. It looks great though and what I’ve read makes me really want to take a week off and do nothing by play.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
Ok so what gives??????     I see several players on steam in my friends list playing this.

The top 50 or so steam reviews are all thumbs down "not Recommended" , should I spend my $60 or go back to hunting Dinos?
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online wastrel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:09 AM »
I am going to divide my time between dinos and this for the next month at least.  I'll probably play Ark one night, then Fallout the next.  Ark is much more open ended, so probably a longer gaming time overall.

I played the first few hours of Fallout 4 tonight, and I am in love.  If you enjoy open world RPG, so far, this delivers in spades.  It is gorgeous, smooth combat, intuitive favoriting/hotbar system, a seemingly complex crafting system including furniture, power and defense to setup a home base. 

IMO, this is worth the hefty fee, and this is coming from someone who almost never buy Triple-A games, espcially not for $60.

I don't get the thumbs down review at all.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »
I should have it tonight.  According to Amazon, it's "out for delivery."
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
The steam reviews are really discouraging.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
I'll give you all my review in a year or two when its on sail for 75% of on steam.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
I think the low reviews are a result of a massive amount of hype building expectations the game could never satisfy.

I was in the fallout fan community from the E3 conference to the release, and the amount of hype was unreasonable.  This is a bethesda game, they are a story telling company, their game graphics and play-ability have never been good right after launch. Bethesda is famous for their glitches, and they usually have most of them fixed about 6 months- 1 year after a games release with various updates and patches. Plus the modding community is really rich and healthy, and Bethesda is really supportive of modding, you you can add customization to your game that improves graphics, gameplay etc.

That being said, its going to be a good 6 months until I can afford to buy this game, ill have to live through lets-players until then.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:57:53 AM by Gerbig »

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
The steam reviews are really discouraging.

Never ever, ever, listen to player or user reviews.  They are almost always worthless.  These are the kind of impractical, unobjective whelps that give Portal 2 a 1/10 because it's not 50 hours long.  Ignore them all. 

Actual professional reviews, generally by people who have some experience writing and analyzing something, hover around 87.  Hard to be disappointed with that.
http://fromnothinggamestudios.com/

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?"

Online teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
Not really digging it yet, but I'm barely maybe an hour in.

I've listened to the quill18 review and the pacing criticism he brings up seems valid.  I'm also not sure how much I'm going to enjoy emphasis on crafting and base building at the expense of deeper questing and character sheet building.

I do like improved gunplay, it feels better than Fallout3, not that that's a high bar to clear.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
What I am reading is that it is now less of an RPG and more of an action shooter, that the conversation choices have been simplified and that the PC controls/HUD are poorly designed.

Sounds like Mass Effect and Dragon Age all over again to me. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
I used this game and Jim Sterlings video about it for my talking point at my polyamory discussion group!
People were quite interested that more relationship options being opened was something newsworthy in the gaming community. I think its cool that Bethesda took the notes that people were giving from previous games.
That said, its probably going to be over a year until I get to play this.
I thought Fallout 3 was incredible though so Im interested to see if I like the changes.

Online wastrel

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 06:17:40 PM »
What I am reading is that it is now less of an RPG and more of an action shooter, that the conversation choices have been simplified and that the PC controls/HUD are poorly designed.

Sounds like Mass Effect and Dragon Age all over again to me.

YMMV, but I'm not having too much trouble with the GUI on PC, so not sure the issue there.  It is the standard Pip Boy interface.  I'm sure there are differences from what I remember on previous games, but it is pretty intuitive.  The perks system is a decent set up as well.

For the conversations, there are essentially four options for each interaction, and they range from mean, nice, neutral, to funny.  It is a short description, but then the voice actor will actually give out a response in the style you selected.

The criticism feels as overhyped to me as the lead up to the launch was.

Not really digging it yet, but I'm barely maybe an hour in.

I've listened to the quill18 review and the pacing criticism he brings up seems valid.  I'm also not sure how much I'm going to enjoy emphasis on crafting and base building at the expense of deeper questing and character sheet building.

I do like improved gunplay, it feels better than Fallout3, not that that's a high bar to clear.

The pacing was a bit weird, I'll admit, though I rushed through the prelude to get to the meat of the game.  If you took much time before you get into and then out of the vault, it is going to feel slow.

Too early to tell how deep the questing will go, but I find the base building as a welcome addition.  That may be my open builder sandbox bias bleeding through though.  I'm not sure why there is an assumption that the rest of the game was pared down to make room for this feature?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »
Ok so what gives??????     I see several players on steam in my friends list playing this.

The top 50 or so steam reviews are all thumbs down "not Recommended" , should I spend my $60 or go back to hunting Dinos?
The bad reviews are probably because the game is very buggy. They usually are, at release. I'd wait a few months for them to patch it. (But then I do that with all new games and consoles.)

Otherwise it looks pretty awesome, so if you don't want to wait, and you don't mind fighting bugs that aren't radroaches, by all means.

Also: http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-has-an-infinite-caps-glitch-1741989652
(Have fun!)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:47:46 PM by random poet »
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

personate-rain